Install Windows 10 on NVMe

adysnook
Go to solution Solved by Moondrelor,

From the USB i am trying to boot. I was just saying that fact...

Well you're acting like it's your NVMe that is the issue, but it's not...

You're having the issue when you try to boot to your USB. Either you changed some settings you shouldn't of changed, or your "bootable" USB isn't bootable due to a bad setup.

If you was installing Windows onto your NVMe and then you tried to boot to your NVMe, then yes, you'd have a problem with it.

But it sounds like the problem resides in your "bootable" USB.

Hi guys,

I am unable to install Windows 10 on Samsung SM951 NVME. I have Asus Z170M PLUS motherboard.

Please help!

I have created a bootable USB drive with UEFI, GPT, FAT32.

I dont know what settings should I do in BIOS. I have tried many including CSM, Secure Boot, PCH Storage Configuration.

The system recognizes the USB and the SSD, but the Windows installer dont show up. After 5 seconds (trying to boot from USB I think) it enters in Setup (BIOS).

Thank you!

clear cmos, disable csm, anything else untouched. save and exit, spam F8 to enter boot manager, click on "UEFI <your usb stick name> "

if it still goes into bios repot back

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

If you have any hard drives or other ssd's plugged in, unplug for the time being while you get windows installed on your NVMe.

If you have any hard drives or other ssd's plugged in, unplug for the time being while you get windows installed on your NVMe.

that's the problem. i did manage to install it in hdd alone, but now that i have this little m.2 ssd i want to do a fresh install and i removed the hdd

that's the problem. i did manage to install it in hdd alone, but now that i have this little m.2 ssd i want to do a fresh install and i removed the hdd

If you're booting to your USB and the Windows installation isn't even coming up, then your Bootable USB is probably done improperly. 

If you're booting to your USB and the Windows installation isn't even coming up, then your Bootable USB is probably done improperly. 

i have created it with rufus with options UEFI GPT FAT32. is it ok?

clear cmos, disable csm, anything else untouched. save and exit, spam F8 to enter boot manager, click on "UEFI <your usb stick name> "

if it still goes into bios repot back

i did that and now i only see the USB as bootable, but it does the same: 5 seconds black screen after POST and enters BIOS

i have SATA Mode Selection AHCI. is that ok?

i did that and now i only see the USB as bootable, but it does the same: 5 seconds black screen after POST and enters BIOS

i have SATA Mode Selection AHCI. is that ok?

So... Do this. Because I'm not sure the steps you are taking.

Boot, and spam whatever button to get into boot menu.

Select your USB,

Does it just sit at a black screen then go back to the bios?

If so you're USB isn't set properly to boot from.

So... Do this. Because I'm not sure the steps you are taking.

Boot, and spam whatever button to get into boot menu.

Select your USB,

Does it just sit at a black screen then go back to the bios?

If so you're USB isn't set properly to boot from.

I did that. it's F8 for me.

The SM951 appears in Boot Priority only if I disable Secure Boot and set CSM to Auto.

I did that. it's F8 for me.

The SM951 appears in Boot Priority only if I disable Secure Boot and set CSM to Auto.

Why are you trying to boot to the NVMe? It has nothing on it...

Boot to the USB... So you can run the windows installer...

Why are you trying to boot to the NVMe? It has nothing on it...

Boot to the USB... So you can run the windows installer...

You're having the issue when you try to boot to your USB. Either you changed some settings you shouldn't of changed, or your "bootable" USB isn't bootable due to a bad setup.

If you was installing Windows onto your NVMe and then you tried to boot to your NVMe, then yes, you'd have a problem with it.

Ok, I create the USB again now... I did install on the HDD before with same USB...

Thank you for insisting on that "bootable" USB. My fault, I don't know how I created the USB such that it was looking right, but I did it again and the Windows installer starts. Thanks alot!!!

Thank you for insisting on that "bootable" USB. My fault, I don't know how I created the USB such that it was looking right, but I did it again and the Windows installer starts. Thanks alot!!!

Glad it's working for you :)