Monitor with HDMi and Headphone Out Issue

dannykim

I really didn't have a clue as to where I should post this topic but I'll do it here for now.

So I'm planning to buy the ASUS VS248H display that has HDMi DVI and VGA, and the audio passthrough and headphone jack etc. I'm focusing on the HDMi and Headphone ports for now. 

I want to connect my laptop and PS4 simultaneously to the monitor using a HDMi Switcher, and I also want to connect a speaker system to the monitor using the Headphone jack.

Now my issue, not really an issue but I'm wondering what would happen when I'm on my PS4 playing a game, and on my laptop playing a YouTube video at the same time.

So what I'm saying is what would happen when two different inputs are sending an audio signal to one speaker? Would the speaker play both audio sources? Or would it play whatever source was connected to it first? I know this may sound stupid but I'm really curious

Thanks in advance!

Well if the audio signal from the laptop and PS4 are being passed through the HDMI cables, the switcher will decide which signal will pass through, no?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Well if the audio signal from the laptop and PS4 are being passed through the HDMI cables, the switcher will decide which signal will pass through, no?

Yeah that's quite true now I think about it. Thanks!

But what about if I get a monitor with 2 HDMi ports and I don't need the switcher? I guess it will play the audio for whatever the monitor is displaying(?)

But what about if I get a monitor with 2 HDMi ports and I don't need the switcher? I guess it will play the audio for whatever the monitor is displaying(?)

Once again, true. 

The PS4 also has an optical audio out, if that helps at all. 

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Well if you have a monitor or screen with 2 HDMI inputs, the monitor cannot display a signal from both inputs at once.  You will have to select which input it is accepting, HDMI1 or HDMI2.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer