My Oculus Rift Experience - PAX Prime

Pingypoker

TL;DR: THE OCULUS RIFT IS GOOD. BUY IT.

Sup guys, I got to try out the Oculus Rift at PAX (5 times, in fact), and I thought I might as well do a review on it.

Both the HD version and the non HD version were at PAX. I tried the non HD one first.

It was a bit awkward once I first got into the Rift, but after a while it felt completely natural. Since this was the low res version, I could (quote from Linus) sit there and count each individual pixel. It was still a great experience however. The head tracking was extremely smooth, much better than expected. It was very interesting when my time was over with the Rift. After I took it off, I had absolutely no idea where I was in my chair, what position I was in, and where my head was. It's hard to explain, but taking off the Rift is an interesting experience (I didn't feel nauseated at all, very hard to explain). The Rift is extremely immersive, that's why I went down to the main Oculus booth to try the HD version 4 times (the line moved much faster than I expected)!

The HD Prototype was amazing. Same as the low res one, but in HD GLORY.

My only gripe is that there is no head position tracking, only rotation. That's why I'm gonna get this (you should too).

If you guys are wondering if you should get a Rift or not, buy one. It will be worth it.

If you guys have any questions about the Oculus, ask! I was also everywhere else at PAX, so if you have any questions generally about the event, feel free to ask.

Yup. I saw Logan, Corsair George, Timmy, the whole LTT crew and the whole NCIX crew.

Awesome, did you talk to Linus or did you just saw him?

Awesome, did you talk to Linus or did you just saw him?

We hung out for a few hours total, so did some other LTT fans. Pictures were taken too.

Have you seen linus* events not over :P

PAX Prime is already over.

I got to try it at gamescom (the HD prototype) and I loved it too, but 1080p is still a very low res for it imo. 4K oculus@120hz will be amazing ^^

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

TL;DR: THE OCULUS RIFT IS GOOD. BUY IT.

Sup guys, I got to try out the Oculus Rift at PAX (5 times, in fact), and I thought I might as well do a review on it.

Both the HD version and the non HD version were at PAX. I tried the non HD one first.

It was a bit awkward once I first got into the Rift, but after a while it felt completely natural. Since this was the low res version, I could (quote from Linus) sit there and count each individual pixel. It was still a great experience however. The head tracking was extremely smooth, much better than expected. It was very interesting when my time was over with the Rift. After I took it off, I had absolutely no idea where I was in my chair, what position I was in, and where my head was. It's hard to explain, but taking off the Rift is an interesting experience (I didn't feel nauseated at all, very hard to explain). The Rift is extremely immersive, that's why I went down to the main Oculus booth to try the HD version 4 times (the line moved much faster than I expected)!

The HD Prototype was amazing. Same as the low res one, but in HD GLORY.

My only gripe is that there is no head position tracking, only rotation. That's why I'm gonna get this (you should too).

If you guys are wondering if you should get a Rift or not, buy one. It will be worth it.

If you guys have any questions about the Oculus, ask! I was also everywhere else at PAX, so if you have any questions generally about the event, feel free to ask.

God i wish they would give us a timeframe of when the consumer version is coming out or if they are going to update the dev kit with HD or not.  I want a rift bad but don't wanna buy a dev kit and then 6 months down the road they release something else thats more updated.

2516871-4436290867-iSOA9.png

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

Still have the low res dev kit :C , congrats on the experience btw, did you get any motion sickness?

Nope, no motion sickness.

Awesome, God they need to release the consumer version, 

Did they hint anything at Pax? 2014?

I asked them, they didn't say anything.

In an interview with pcgh they said that it is a matter of "months and months, not years and years" until the oculus is released, here is the interview(german intro is over after 18sec ;)):

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

In an interview with pcgh they said that it is a matter of "months and months, not years and years" until the oculus is released, here is the interview(german intro is over after 18sec ;)):

Wow thanks for the info I can wait for months and months for the consumer version just not years and years.

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

Wow thanks for the info I can wait for months and months for the consumer version just not years and years.

If they can release it at christmas time, that'd be amazing. But that's only 3 more months, I sure hope they can pull it off :D

Once they release it it'll probably barely ever be in stock anywhere xD

#KILLEDMYWIFE

If they can release it at christmas time, that'd be amazing. But that's only 3 more months, I sure hope they can pull it off :D

Once they release it it'll probably barely ever be in stock anywhere xD

I am not a big gamer, but I will most definitely buy if it isn't ridiculously expensive.  

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I am not a big gamer, but I will most definitely buy if it isn't ridiculously expensive.  

It'll be around $250-300 from what I've heard, the dev kit is $300.

#KILLEDMYWIFE

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be around $250-300 from what I've heard, the dev kit is $300.

300+500= 800

Omni Virtuix & Oculus Rift.

I wouldn't buy one without the other ya know.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

300+500= 800

The Rift is still an absolutely fantastic experience without the Omni.

Yup. I saw Logan, Corsair George, Timmy, the whole LTT crew and the whole NCIX crew.

D: I'm so Jelly

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

300+500= 800

many games are probably not very convincing with just the oculus, but I am most looking forward to racing games and flying games, both of which I haven't really gotten into, but with an oculus I think I'll have a blast flying barrel-rolls or drifting corners and stuff, it'll just be soooooo epic.

Or minecraft, from people who played it with the oculus I've heard that it looks amazing and the buildings look gigantic.

Even without an omni you can take a look at how you like being inside your favorite games, oooh it'll be so awsome :D

#KILLEDMYWIFE