Minecraft gets very high FPS, but still looks choppy. (READ BEFORE POSTING!)

JoeCoke

I have no idea what it is, but if you have stuttering then it'll be down to terrible frame times. That, I cannot account for. if it were due to Vsync, you could get rid of it by taking off the frame limiter and dealing with the screen tearing, but it just looks like something is going on that's making the frame times suck ass.

I have no idea what it is, but if you have stuttering then it'll be down to terrible frame times. That, I cannot account for. if it were due to Vsync, you could get rid of it by taking off the frame limiter and dealing with the screen tearing, but it just looks like something is going on that's making the frame times suck ass.

I'm not sure what would cause that, I tried unlimited, 120FPS limit, 60 FPS limit and vsync. It all looks like crap. Funny part is, I'm using the same exact settings I used with my 9800GT and it ran perfect.

Damn it. :(

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

I'm not sure what would cause that, I tried unlimited, 120FPS limit, 60 FPS limit and vsync. It all looks like crap. Funny part is, I'm using the same exact settings I used with my 9800GT and it ran perfect.

Damn it. :(

What settings were those? Try raising them. Because when you have a GPU rendering like, 5x the number of frames the monitor can hold up, maybe it's time to turn up the render distance a bit.

And I guarantee you can. I have a 7970 and a 2600K, and I can crank Minecraft to settings that will choke them both.

Hmm..

Try...

I know not all of these could do this but no reason not to list them..

AA off, Clouds off, Bobbing off, lowest settings then highest settings. You said this happens with and without Optifine?

Try going back to 1.7.2 also.

I have the EXACT same issue with old easy to run games, although my PC should be tearing them up and my frames are perfect. Oblivion, for example, I was able to run on my old HP stream laptop, no stutter, lag, nothing. I put the same game on my actual rig and it jumps all over the place even though its sitting at 60fps all the time. Someone told me that its because my GPU although is giving 60frames per second, its giving most of the frames within the first quarter or so of the second, and then very few within the last portion of the second, making it lag.

What settings were those? Try raising them. Because when you have a GPU rendering like, 5x the number of frames the monitor can hold up, maybe it's time to turn up the render distance a bit.

And I guarantee you can. I have a 7970 and a 2600K, and I can crank Minecraft to settings that will choke it.

16 is the max, and I have it set to that. Above 16 only works in SP.

Besides that, I have the game's settings maxed out. I tried 32 render distance and it didn't change anything. Not sure what VBOs are, but turning it on or off doesn't change anything either.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

16 is the max, and I have it set to that. Above 16 only works in SP.

Besides that, I have the game's settings maxed out. I tried 32 render distance and it didn't change anything. Not sure what VBOs are, but turning it on or off doesn't change anything either.

That's odd, because a rendering distance of 32 chunks is totally available in vanilla minecraft for me. I can barely get to 20 chunks without the framerate dropping through the floor.

Can you think of anything you might have added to your distro of Minecraft at around the time you switched to a 770? That could be the cause.

Otherwise, I have no idea what the problem is. There shouldn't be any hindrance to you running crazy high settings at crazy high framerates.

Hmm..

Try...

I know not all of these could do this but no reason not to list them..

AA off, Clouds off, Bobbing off, lowest settings then highest settings. You said this happens with and without Optifine?

Try going back to 1.7.2 also.

Tried that. And yes, it happens with and without OF.

So I guess soon I'll install my trusty old 9800gt under the 770 and use it for Minecraft and see how it goes. Probably won't work, but I'm desperate enough to try.

How many GB of RAM did you allocate, and did it actually say you allocated that amount? (press F3)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Tried that. And yes, it happens with and without OF.

Try lowering res?

I don't know anything after that..

How many GB of RAM did you allocate, and did it actually say you allocated that amount? (press F3)

4GB, yes it said it worked.