Emulator vs Raspberry Pi?

AllHokage
Go to solution Solved by Omon_Ra,

I have a couple friends who have setup Pi's as emulators. It's not terribly difficult, though some ROM's are a little wonky, but generally it's awesome. The great thing with the Pi is that you can have several builds on multiple SD cards. If you want it to run as a VPN proxy, you can have that on one disk, but if you want to run your emulators, you put that disk in. It's pretty awesome.

Was thinking of ether getting some emulators on my PC + a wireless bluetooth controller or a Raspberry Pi and modding it to play retro games.

The plus side to emulating on the pc, is that it's free, but then with the Pi it will be portable,more convenient and can be used for other projects.

What do you think I should get to get some nostalgia?

Might add this later...

Get the pi and just try some stuff if you want.

It's cheap so if you decide after a while you are done with it, you can always switch to PC, it's really easy to setup emulators on pc's soo... 

Give the pi a try, if you don't like it anymore switch to PC. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Get the pi and just try some stuff if you want.

It's cheap so if you decide after a while you are done with it, you can always switch to PC, it's really easy to setup emulators on pc's soo... 

Give the pi a try, if you don't like it anymore switch to PC. 

Yer guess the Pi will be fun to mess around with, will it run smoothly?

Might add this later...

I've got a Pi which I used to use for emulation and Kodi.

Its a very capable little box with Retropie installed on it, if your interested in a Retropie image which is noobs compatible give me a shout, I created one then tried to upload it to Retropie but the devs refused to give it the OK to be added to the downloads section saying it was beyond the scope of what they wanted for Retropie. I still have the zip file on my google drive though.

I recently replaced the Pi with a Shield TV, its much more expensive but also has many more features and waaaaaaaaay more powerful than the Pi 2 is.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I have a couple friends who have setup Pi's as emulators. It's not terribly difficult, though some ROM's are a little wonky, but generally it's awesome. The great thing with the Pi is that you can have several builds on multiple SD cards. If you want it to run as a VPN proxy, you can have that on one disk, but if you want to run your emulators, you put that disk in. It's pretty awesome.

Yer guess the Pi will be fun to mess around with, will it run smoothly?

No idea, don't have a pi myself soo... Maybe youtube can help?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I personally have had no problems with emulators, but having a pi to mess around with is also fun.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

What Pi should I get? Guessing a Pi 2 or a Zero would be good?

Might add this later...

go for a pi2, quad core will give you a smooth emulation specially oh heavier systems like Play Station. Also more Ram is always better, ALWAYS.

PI 2 is a must. With RetroPI on my PI 1 is was unplayable with 15ish fps on most. PI 2 handles it no problem.