Intel Q6600 & GTX 960 Bottlenecking?

I'm still working on upgrading to a better motherboard and processor but a friend of mine just ordered me a EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+

as you see in the topic title I'm running a Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 I could overclock to 2.8 if I need too??

I have 8GB of RAM DDR3 1333

http://us.msi.com/product/motherboard/G41M-P34.html#hero-specification

current motherboard ^

~~~~~~~~~~~

I know I'm most likely going to run into bottlenecks with the motherboard only supporting just regular ol PCI-E and not 3.0 but will there be any other bottlenecks besides my motherboard being shitty? Will there be any problems with the videocard/cpu? just want some ideas/feedback is all :D.

biggest question I guess is will the 960 do me any better than the 550TI I currently have or should I just keep the card packaged up till I get the new motherboard and i7 CPU?

You'll get instant benefits from upgrading the GPU, and I don't think a Q6600 would severely bottleneck in GPU intensive titles. OC it if you already have the cooling components. 

I used to be quite active here.

Massive bottleneck most likely, a Q6600 at 2.4 ghz was throttling a 250x to 50% for me in csgo.

Just make sure CPU heavy things are set to low. Shadows, draw distance, phsyics.

It's a pretty old CPU..

Massive bottleneck most likely, a Q6600 at 2.4 ghz was throttling a 250x to 50% for me in csgo.

CSGO is a bad example though.

CS:GO is a bad example. 

EDIT- I got beat to it. 

Just make sure CPU heavy things are set to low. Shadows, draw distance, phsyics.

It's a pretty old CPU..

CSGO is a bad example though.

CS:GO is a bad example. 

EDIT- I got beat to it. 

Exact same thing happened with all the titles that I tried it with. The most the 250x, which is a far less powerful gpu than a 960, ever got to was 80%.

I tested my Q6600 with my 960 for a few hours, didn't see much or any bottlenecking compared to my i5 in GPU intensive titles.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Exact same thing happened with all the titles that I tried it with. The most the 250x, which is a far less powerful gpu than a 960, ever got to was 80%.

What titles did you try it with? That's a very important question. 

It should be fine if you OC it to 3.4+ ghz

Motherboard has built in switches or w/e that only lets me overlock by 400Mhz so the best I could go is 2.8 =/ unless there's something in the bios I can do to overclock more but then I think I'd be risking my mobo at that point.

If this helps because I keep seeing a lot about bottlenecking on like CSGO..

I don't play CSGO for one lol..

I currently play

ArcheAge

Heros of the Storm

some ARMA 3 from time to time but not as much cause well ya know my PC sucks but it runs just not great FPS really. in the 30's or so.

I was going to play SQUAD on Steam but my card only has 1GB video memory and minimum the game requires 2 so I might pick SQUAD up again.

Armored Warfare

World of Warships

think that's really all I play atm.

If this helps because I keep seeing a lot about bottlenecking on like CSGO..

I don't play CSGO for one lol..

I currently play

ArcheAge

Heros of the Storm

some ARMA 3 from time to time but not as much cause well ya know my PC sucks but it runs just not great FPS really. in the 30's or so.

I was going to play SQUAD on Steam but my card only has 1GB video memory and minimum the game requires 2 so I might pick SQUAD up again.

Armored Warfare

World of Warships

think that's really all I play atm.

i doubt that your 6600 will be a bottle neck for a 960.

also, go get warthunder.

i doubt that your 6600 will be a bottle neck for a 960.

also, go get warthunder.

ewww Warthunder lol