Is there any way to not be forced to reinstall Windows 7 and then upgrade to 10 after changing the motherboard?

Morgan MLGman
Go to solution Solved by Emanuel_M,

As I mentioned, I do not want to reinstall. I just know that if I change the motherboard and boot without doing anything it will tell me that Win 10 is not activated, despite it being activated on the previous board as the key is linked to the motherboard for some reason. If it tells me that, I'll try to just put the Windows 10 key that the key finder shows me to activate, hoping it'll work, thanks ^^

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106642-how-to-keep-your-current-windows-install-with-a-new-motherboard/

AFAIK Windows 10 is bound to the motherboard, and I'm changing mine tomorrow. Is there any way for a lazy fuck like me to not be forced to reinstall to my genuine Win 7 Pro and then to upgrade? I mean for example to "read" my current, generated Win 10 key and just paste it if it says it's not activated?

Thanks

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Also if the fresh install isn't mandatory, you don't need to reinstall when changing mb

It is recommended to fresh reinstall thou...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

AFAIK Windows 10 is bound to the motherboard, and I'm changing mine tomorrow. Is there any way for a lazy fuck like me to not be forced to reinstall to my genuine Win 7 Pro and then to upgrade? I mean for example to "read" my current, generated Win 10 key and just paste it if it says it's not activated?

Thanks

You can just install Windows 10 with the latest ISO and use your Windows 7 key.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You can simply clean install Win 10 then install Threshold 2 and after the update use your existing 7 key to activate Windows 10.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Also if the fresh install isn't mandatory, you don't need to reinstall when changing mb

You do, it will tell you that win10 isn't activated if you change the motherboard afaik

You can simply clean install Win 10 then install Threshold 2 and after the update use your existing 7 key to activate Windows 10.

I do not want to do a clean install if it's possible, too much work for me...

You can just install Windows 10 with the latest ISO and use your Windows 7 key.

I don't think it works like that.

Contact MS's live support thing, show proof that you were forced to do it if you have an OEM license, and they will register your 7 license as your 10 in their system for that board.  I did it with 2 differents builds.

So what to tell them exactly? I've got a win7 key only, no proof of purchase etc as it was taken from DreamSpark

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

At least when I did it with W7 (3 times), I'd reactivate with phone method

What method? :o

At least when I did it with W7 (3 times), I'd reactivate with phone method

i used jellykeyfinder found my key and Windows 10 activated normally without calling MS

Automated phone system, depending on the country this may or may not be an available option

You put a chain of characters and then system reads another code that you've to write down

The most boring voice in the omniverse :P

i used jellykeyfinder found my key and Windows 10 activated normally without calling MS

Is it 100% legit? That would be the best solution if it's legit and working!

Is it this: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ ? Do I need to buy the premium version to read the key or will the free one suffice?

Automated phone system, depending on the country this may or may not be an available option

You put a chain of characters and then system reads another code that you've to write down

If all else fails, I'll try it, thanks ^^

Is it 100% legit? That would be the best solution if it's legit and working!

Is it this: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ ? Do I need to buy the premium version to read the key or will the free one suffice?

If all else fails, I'll try it, thanks ^^

no just get the normal one. Get the key, reinstall then put the key in and it will activate normally on a new system

no just get the normal one. Get the key, reinstall then put the key in and it will activate normally on a new system

As I mentioned, I do not want to reinstall. I just know that if I change the motherboard and boot without doing anything it will tell me that Win 10 is not activated, despite it being activated on the previous board as the key is linked to the motherboard for some reason. If it tells me that, I'll try to just put the Windows 10 key that the key finder shows me to activate, hoping it'll work, thanks ^^

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106642-how-to-keep-your-current-windows-install-with-a-new-motherboard/

I don't think it works like that.

It does work like that. MS has said it works and I have tested it myself.

It does work like that. MS has said it works and I have tested it myself.

I tried to install Windows 10 once and used a Windows 7 key to activate, said it was invalid ;-;

Alright, alright, here's some stuff you should know

1) remove all chipset, SATA and other motherboard related drivers

2) DO NOT RUN SYSPREP!

3) you should be able to boot, and it will ask you to reactivate. the key you got from the key finder is generic, it will not activate on the wrong motherboard. What you should do though is use your Windows 7 key when it asks you to activate.

4) Install all drivers and make sure that there are no Unknown devices in devmgmt.msc (just type that into the start menu)

I tried to install Windows 10 once and used a Windows 7 key to activate, said it was invalid ;-;

You probably used an older ISO. For this to work, you need an ISO with Windows Build 10586 (November 2015).

You probably used an older ISO. For this to work, you need an ISO with Windows Build 10586 (November 2015).

It was around August I believe so you're probably right, I'll try all of the above hoping that one will work, thanks a lot! :)