Tried to take off a stock cooler and CPU came with it!

So I just took off the stock cooler of my old MSI 970 motherboard that had an AMD FX-8320E. I removed all the latches and so forth but when it came time to just pull it off, it just wouldn't budge! Keep in mind that this CPU and motherboard haven't been on in over a year and have been on eachother for over a year and a half. The also were flown across the country multiple times while still connected and have been at Sea level and the Mile high city of Colorado. Finally it came off but with it came the CPU still stuck to it. To my absolute surprise, all the pins were fine! The only problem is that it is still stuck!!! There is a small amount of residue on the outside that I noticed that I think might be the thermal paste. Should I get an iFixit case and try to scrape it off!? Please help! I really want to use this CPU!

Yes 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

yeah just use some kind of pry tool to take it off. The heatspreader on the CPU should be good enough to take the force, and being careful with it and making sure it doesn't land anywhere where the pins could get damaged should land you with a successful CPU recovery ;)

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Wow, that's a brand new computer issue to me. Should work to pry it off.

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

Yes 

Very to the point there.

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

yea i used a pry tool the exact same thing happend to me after 2 weeks with a 970 gaming mobo with my fx 6300

So I just took off the stock cooler of my old MSI 970 motherboard that had an AMD FX-8320E. I removed all the latches and so forth but when it came time to just pull it off, it just wouldn't budge! Keep in mind that this CPU and motherboard haven't been on in over a year and have been on eachother for over a year and a half. The also were flown across the country multiple times while still connected and have been at Sea level and the Mile high city of Colorado. Finally it came off but with it came the CPU still stuck to it. To my absolute surprise, all the pins were fine! The only problem is that it is still stuck!!! There is a small amount of residue on the outside that I noticed that I think might be the thermal paste. Should I get an iFixit case and try to scrape it off!? Please help! I really want to use this CPU!

All you had to do was twist the cooler side to side until is came loose a little then remove it... You can do this by hand, no need for tools.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

All you had to do was twist the cooler side to side until is came loose a little then remove it... You can do this by hand, no need for tools.

Thanks, that worked