Sennheiser vs Beyerdynamic?

Chronic

So I've owned a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 and wasn't a massive fan despite the general positive feedback. Yes the quality itself is excellent but I didn't find them very comfy, the coiled cable was a bit bulky/annoying and the sound seemed almost too flat. My ears got quite hot too with their leather ear cups. As a complete package and an everyday headphone I wasn't satisfied so I sold them. I was looking at going down the Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic route. I'm leaning towards the Beyer DT770 pro currently. Wanted your guys' opinions on the 770s and whether I should go Beyer or Sennheiser.

I am currently using an Asus DGX soundcard - would the 770s benefit much from an STX or would it be a bit of a waste? I dont particularly want to go with external hardware like amps/dacs as I prefer a cleaner/easier setup. (Still at university so don't want expensive stuff all over my desk!) 

Thanks for your help!

Because you already have a sound card with high output impedance, I would shoot for the 770 250 ohm. They are a closed headphone so they won't bother any room mates.

Haven't listened to  Beyers but I have a Senn HD580. I've had them for probably 5+ years and they are awesome.  They are more like having two speakers over your head ...it means that the sound has a wide stage.  

having both the m50 and the dt770 I have to give the beyer the upper hand

the beyer has a bit of a better soundstage I've noticed the m50 has a very "in head" feel which might be better for analytical work

the looser bass on the 770 makes it feel a bit more immersive but the mids on the 770 feel vague. pianos and accoustic guitars don't feel as detailed on the 770

the senn's are known to crack and I fully expect the beyers to outlast my ears and I expect the beyer to be a legacy piece of tech for me to hand down to the next generation of audiophiles

Would say Beyers but if you are using them at home wouldn't the 990 be better than the 770. Unless you like the closed back design i would go for the 990.

Headset

Thanks for the advice guys - looks like I'll be going for the 80 ohm version as this comes with the straight cable which I prefer. They are currently listed at £130 compared to the M50s at £132.

What are the benefits with an open design? I've read there isn't a huge difference in sound quality but noise isolation/leakage is a factor as i travel a reasonable amount. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: I'm quite happy with the bass being dominant and have read that it can be as powerful as you want it to be - I mostly listen to electronic/dance type music along with movies and games.

Open means less sound bounces back to your ears, giving the headphones a more "airy" sound. I don't really know how to describe it other than using this cliche, but it's a preference thing.

Travelling is not recommended with an open headphone, 770 should be fine for you then. 80 ohm would be better on the move but still not ideal, less suited to the STX though. 250 ohm would be better for the STX but not very good on the move, tough decision really.

Headset

How different would the 80 ohm and 250 ohm versions actually sound? I currently have a DGX which has a headphone amp on it and presume that it will be sufficient at driving them so I may hold off the STX for now. I'll see how they are when I get them. I do have an E5, the small portable amp one so this could be used if need be. But like I said, the 250 has a bulky coiled cable compared to the straight cable. As picky as it is, this is a bigger factor than the ohm rating I think. 80 is hopefully a nice balance

to me, closed feels like its piped into your head more while open feels natural like you are in the room with them

and when you say that you are on the move its not like  you are using the headphone with a smart phone and walking around but rather using it with a laptop and deploying that from place to place?

I have a PC which they will be plugged into 90% of the time but if I come home from university over christmas/easter etc then they will be used whilst travelling (several hours on the train) and then used on my laptop at home. I wouldn't take them out jogging or whilst walking around town for example

I have a PC which they will be plugged into 90% of the time but if I come home from university over christmas/easter etc then they will be used whilst travelling (several hours on the train) and then used on my laptop at home. I wouldn't take them out jogging or whilst walking around town for example

Get the 250 ohm then, if its 90% at home. 

How different would the 80 ohm and 250 ohm versions actually sound? I currently have a DGX which has a headphone amp on it and presume that it will be sufficient at driving them so I may hold off the STX for now. I'll see how they are when I get them. I do have an E5, the small portable amp one so this could be used if need be. But like I said, the 250 has a bulky coiled cable compared to the straight cable. As picky as it is, this is a bigger factor than the ohm rating I think. 80 is hopefully a nice balance

Sound cards have around a 10 ohm output impedance. A general rule of thumb is to use headphones with at least 8 times greater output impedance. That said, the 80 ohm version is on the cutting edge of acceptable. Having too high an output impedance, or too low a headphone impedance, generally gives you "boomy" bass and understandably, some people think boomy = good, and some people think it muddles the sound of everything else.

Personally, I'd get the 250 ohm version, as they'll sound more like what they're meant to sound like. Also, it's not like you can't use them with your phone or other mobile device - they might just not get skull-cracking loud.