Is water cooling better than air cooling?

Topic, then if so can you guys give me links to some decent 2 fan radiator ones. Budget is like $110 or less

In theory, yes, but some air coolers match up with aio's

Corsair H100i 

NZXT Kraken x61

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHZ | MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme V Eatx LGA2011-3 | RAM: 16.00GB DDR4 G-Skills Ripjaws @2400Mhz | GPU: 2x Gtx 980 | CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 | STORAGE: 400GB INTEL 750 Series PCI-E SSD/ 3TB Western Digital WDC | PSU: Corsair AXi 1200w | DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q (3840x2160@60Hz) And LG27MU67 (3840x2160@60Hz)

Technically, water cooling does allow for a greater capacity when transporting heat away from a component. However, you can get air coolers that match or at least compete with AIOs. Bear in mind one caveat: They end up being heavier and bigger in order to match them.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's quieter and maintains lower temperatures than air cooling.

However it is less reliable (more parts to fail) and if it has a fault, it can mean liquid getting on your components.

Almost as cool as my temps  

Topic, then if so can you guys give me links to some decent 2 fan radiator ones. Budget is like $110 or less

You can get beefy air coolers, but they become bulky, heavy and you might get into trouble with you system memory if it isn´t low profile RAM. I personally like AIO or custom watercooling (out of the equation of course with your budget) better, because I get better OCing temps for high OCs and I just like the looks better.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Watercooling does two things:

1) It allows the transport of the heat away from the CPU socket so it can be spread out across lots of very efficiently designed radiators. So you can cool a CPU with 10 120mm radiators if you want.

2) It is more efficient to transfer from the copper of a waterblock to water than to air, so the heat will leave the block the CPU faster ultimately cooling the CPU to a lower temperature.

1 and 2 play together to mean that given sufficient radiators you can cool a a much larger source of heat using watercooling than air. But small heat sources don't really get that much of an advantage from water because (2) doesn't matter and (1) has a small impact when the amount of heat moving isn't significant. My own personal feeling is that the cross over point is around 150W and below air is usually similar in performance. But once you get into the 220W range it makes quite a difference, ~20C at the same voltage and clockspeed and you can (given some luck) push voltages higher than on air.

But since Sandy bridge we have mostly been limited by voltages more than we have thermals because CPUs have been trying to get more efficient.

I would say no, high end air coolers can be just as good as 280mm AIOs, and its more common to kill a CPU because a AIO pump failed compared to a fan failing on a air cooler.

A CPU is unlikely to die regardless of whether it has a functioning cooler on it or not.  We're long past the AMD Athlon days where there was no thermal shutdown.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Never underestimate the power of stupid people, I have seen some seriously dumb shit

Hmmmm getting that feeling right now...

Air coolers need to be big in order to cool more efficiently and quieter, my overclocking produces a lot of heat so watercooling was really my only option other than having a tornado on my desk.

Watercooling is great for moving heat but in terms of ease and air cooler simply can't be beaten. There are many pro's and con's to both and ultimately it's down to the user's needs to define which will work best.

With PC parts becoming more and more energy efficient and cooler, watercooling might actually be a thing of the past.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Hmmmm getting that feeling right now...

This comment brought back a few of said memories.

;) You know you love me really! Not seen you post in a while hope all is well, btw a machine will shut off if the cpu is overheating to protect itself normally way before damage can take place, from experience.  :P

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

;) You know you love me really! Not seen you post in a while hope all is well, btw a machine will shut off if the cpu is overheating to protect itself normally way before damage can take place, from experience.  :P

I have seen a few guys manage to kill them in attempting to power them on with a failed cooler over and over again, and yea haven't been on much since life got a little more busy.

I have seen a few guys manage to kill them in attempting to power them on with a failed cooler over and over again, and yea haven't been on much since life got a little more busy.

Hope all is well with you, and I dunno how? I've booted up the old thermal nuclear reactor that is my 8350 with my old Phanteks cooler without fans on before. Was grabbing some values out of my bios for a friend when I was switching to water. Ran fine, even booted to windows lol.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Hope all is well with you, and I dunno how? I've booted up the old thermal nuclear reactor that is my 8350 with my old Phanteks cooler without fans on before. Was grabbing some values out of my bios for a friend when I was switching to water. Ran fine, even booted to windows lol.

Oh yea man life got busy for the better.