The white walker - ~$2000 PC build

The white walker

I wanted a new PC mainly to use for video editing, photo editing and some gaming. It's called the "White walker" because I thought it would be cool to have a black&white colour scheme to the rig and I'm also a huge Game of Thrones fan, so the theme would tie in nicely. The component selection was based on performance, but also looks.

Some components I haven't decided on yet, so you could help me chose between the ones I wrote in the parts list.

HERE, you can find the link to a shared Google Docs document, since I'll be doing a few special things that aren't on pcpartpicker.com, although I also made a list on there which can be found HERE.

What are your thoughts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marek Matheisl

Unless your doing video editing or something that uses cores. I say just get either a 4790k or 6700k and save some cash to upgrade to a 980ti or a furyX.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Black and White theme but you got red corsair ram?

The build is great though.

The white walker

You're probably better off with a Fury over a 980, as a free-sync display is going to save you money, and it potentially will be more compatible with DX12/Vulkan

Otherwise I'd say reject aesthetics and load up on large SSDs, but ya know, whatever.

Also get a quad channel kit over 2 16gb kits, but 32GBs of RAM is probably overkill anyways

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Unless your doing video editing or something that uses cores. I say just get either a 4790k or 6700k and save some cash to upgrade to a 980ti or a furyX.

In a few years we will start to see developers take advantage of multiple cores. 

More future proof anyways.

Plus you can overclock it. 

Black and White theme but you got red corsair ram?

The build is great though.

Yea that's the thing. PcPartPicker shows a picture of the red version, although the serial number corresponds to the black version of the RAM. 

Here's the correct picture: http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/Product%20Photos/dram/vengeance-lpx/black/large/VENG_LPX_BLK_08.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marek Matheisl

Yea that's the thing. PcPartPicker shows a picture of the red version, although the serial number corresponds to the black version of the RAM. 

Here's the correct picture: http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/Product%20Photos/dram/vengeance-lpx/black/large/VENG_LPX_BLK_08.png

But if you go click buy it takes you to a red kit..

But if you go click buy it takes you to a red kit..

Since I'm from the Czech Republic, I won't be buying it on PcPartPicker directly. Here's the link to the product page on the website I'll be buying it with.

Marek Matheisl

What is this Game of Thrones you speak of ?  :D

If you are doing a build based on a White Walker, then you should incorporate some Blue into the colour scheme as well. 

What is this Game of Thrones you speak of ? :D

If you are doing a build based on a White Walker, then you should incorporate some Blue into the colour scheme as well.

The NZXT case has a subtle blue accent LEDs. https://i.alza.cz/ImgW.ashx?fd=f4&cd=CT419c5m&i=1.jpg

Marek Matheisl

I will be using it mainly for video editing. Gaming will be a secondary use.

Marek Matheisl

Yay, čech :D S tím SSDčkem mají borci pravdu, raději si kup něco od Samsungu, bílou verzi kdyžtak dělá i Sandisk (HyperX Fury). RAMku bys taky měl vzít 4x8Gb, už jen kvůli OCD :D Jinak je to pěkný, já bych tam dal 4790K a 980Ti, ale to už jsou preference. A jak říká Linus, nic není futureproof :D