[Help] Need to help in recovering data from an uninitialized external hard disk

ryo_watanbe

Hi all. So I have a seagate backup plus slim which I was using to store videos. A week ago, I removed it from my laptop and connected it to another laptop. It does not show up in "Explorer". I can see it in Disk Management and in Device Manager as unallocated and uninitialized disk.

As far as my internet research goes, I have come to understand that MBR or file system got corrupted with unsafe removal. So now I want to get the recover the data in it. I would like to know if I should initialize and format the disk and then try data recovery or try data recovery before formatting. Also is it possible to rebuild the corrupted chunk. I have tried the tool from seagate with the drive still unitialized it doesnt show any data. 

My question are: 

1. Should I format the drive and then try data recovery?

2. Say I havent done anything to it yet, so can I get all the data back?

3. Would I need to get the raw dump if I need to get the data using linux, if it I can recover the data?

4. Would I lose some data if I format the drive? 

5. Which application should I use to recover the data?

in cases like these its recommended to make a raw dump of the data, whatever is there, and work from that.

beyond that, theres plenty of tools out there to fish data off of hard drives, but i dont have much experience with them at all, i just know its possible.

create a new partition but DONT write to it (just assign it a drive letter)

Use a tool like RECUVA to scan the new partition for existing files and cross your fingers.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)