motherbaord check

hey guys i bought my motherboard and i wanted to check if it was working but i didnt buy my cpu yet, i was wondering if i could install my motherboard and hook up my 24pin to it and power it up without having a cpu in it. is that possible? or would it just ruin my motherboard?

It won't ruin the motherboard, but the system will not POST.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It won't post without the cpu. If you do do this make sure to leave the protective cover over the socket for it could bend/break the pins.

Ariana Grande's Leaked Nudes!!!111!11!

Spoiler

Ayyyyyy

Gaming Rig:     CPU:  i5-4690k  Cooler:  H80i  Mobo:  MSI z97 PC MATE  RAM:  16gb Fury White  Storage:  1TB WD + 120gb Fury SSD  GPU:  GTX 970  Case:  NZXT S340  PSU:  NEX 650W  Keyboard:  K65 RGB  Mouse:  Mionix Naos 7000  Headphones:  ATH-M50x  Monitor:  2x VN248h-P + 1x MG248q  Setup Photo:  (To come)

It won't ruin the motherboard, but the system will not POST.

what do you mean by the motherboard won't post?

what do you mean by the motherboard won't post?

When systems boot, the BIOS initializes something called POST, which stands for Power On Self-Test. The task is to go in and make sure all required hardware is recognized so the system can function. Without a CPU, the system will not succeed in POSTing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

When systems boot, the BIOS initializes something called POST, which stands for Power On Self-Test. The task is to go in and make sure all required hardware is recognized so the system can function. Without a CPU, the system will not succeed in POSTing.

So how would I check if my motherboard is working without my cpu?

So how would I check if my motherboard is working without my cpu?

You can't.

There are certain things you can check, like if the fan controller works or if any lights on it illuminate, but those are pretty obvious. To test if the motherboard works overall, you are basically testing if the entire system works- Which means you need the CPU.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

You can't.

There are certain things you can check, like if the fan controller works or if any lights on it illuminate, but those are pretty obvious. To test if the motherboard works overall, you are basically testing if the entire system works- Which means you need the CPU.

Okay thanks :)