Recommend Beginner Camera

OGFatal

Hey LTT, I'm looking to start getting into photography and need a decent camera to start off with. I dont know much about cameras which is why I'm coming here. I'm looking to spend around £250(no lenses) and need you guys to educate me a lil here. ty

Case: Carbide 300R

CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.90GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming

GPU: R9 290 Tri-X

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX650G

Storage: 4TB NAS

Drive 1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Drive 2: WD 500gb 7200RPM

Keyboard: Vengeance K50

Headset: Vengeance 1500 V2

Mouse: R.A.T 5

Monitor: LG 24EN33

Mirrorless or DSLR?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Mirrorless or DSLR?

Well can you tell me a little about both? I'm a noobie, I've heard DSLR's are better but why

Hey LTT, I'm looking to start getting into photography and need a decent camera to start off with. I dont know much about cameras which is why I'm coming here. I'm looking to spend around £250(no lenses) and need you guys to educate me a lil here. ty

What are you going to be photographing the most?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What are you going to be photographing the most?

Cars and scenery 

Get an entry level DSLR/MILC system from Sony, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji, etc.  Or you can also choose to get some advanced compact system cameras or bridge camera systems.

If you're completely new to photography, it's a good idea to take some courses first.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Advanced compacts are the best camera for most people in your budget. Having a built in 10x lens rather than lugging 12 kg of gear costing £500 is a benefit. The few of my friends who went the advanced compact route after I talked them into it were grateful because they use their cameras more since they're small and travel well.

Well can you tell me a little about both? I'm a noobie, I've heard DSLR's are better but why

It depends on the situation and what you are classifying as 'better.' A DSLR is a digital single lens reflex camera; which means there is a mirror in front of the sensor that sends the light through the lens to the viewfinder; the mirror flips up when the shutter is pressed so the light can expose the film/sensor. A mirrorless camera is just that; it lacks the mirror. This allows much smaller camera bodies, closer lens distance to the sensor (you can use some oddball legacy lenses like old C-mount lenses with micro 4/3) and live view of any effects or tweaks you make to the image (white balance, etc), among other things. The downsides to most mirrorless cameras are that they are usually smaller sensors, so they won't perform as well as a full-frame DSLR in dark situations; however it doesn't mean they're unusable in low light. And then there is also the crop factor, but depending on what you're shooting, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Because of the smaller sensors, they are also generally cheaper. Like anything, there are ups and downs to either side.

I personally like mirrorless (micro 4/3 specifically) because of how much smaller, and cheaper, my kit is. I shoot (stills at least) mostly landscapes and nature stuff, where the low light performance is not a big issue. Check ebay/craigslist for used deals. If you can, find some friends with mirrorless and/or DSLR's and shoot with them and see what feels best for you. Don't worry too much about Canon vs Nikon, full frame vs cropped sensor, mirrorless vs DSLR, find what you're comfortable with and do that. It doesn't matter if you get the best of the best out, if you can't use it, it's just a giant paperweight.