Core temps seem low under load Xeon E5440

Go to solution Solved by skateking60,

Just make sure you go through the procedure of updating/installing the new BIOS correct and that the BIOS has good reviews (comes from a reputable website) and you should be fine. If you are worried about it and the setup you have now seems to be working fine then I would say just leave it :)

Okay, thank you!  :)  :)

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an Intel Xeon E5440 (socket 771) for my ASRock G41C-VS (socket 775) motherboard. I have this ----> http://www.lc-power.com/en/product/power-supplies/lc-cc-95/ cooler sitting on it. My problem is that when it's under load only the first core's temp rises significantly, and then the others rise by 4-5 °C. On idle the CPU package temp sits around 32-36 degrees celsius, the 1. core is around 36 °C, the 2. core is around 28°C, the 3. core is around 28 too, and the fourth core is around 16-20°C (!!). I think this is very strange. It passed Intel's diagnostic software, it passed linx, so I don't know. Maybe the cpu's temperature sensor is broken? I attach a picture of my 100% load temps. Please help me, I'm very confused, this drives me crazy.  :unsure:

post-199119-0-12392000-1452442770_thumb.

Marci

P.S.: Sorry for my English.  :)

forgive me if im wrong, but think xeon chips are cooler than consumer i5 i7s since they are designed for server use.

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

also, what cooler do you have?

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

67c safe operating temperature for that CPU, so I would try and stay below 65c. I do know the LGA 771 Xeons have a higher safe operating temperature than their consumer counterpart so if you keep it below 67c you should be more than fine.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

As for the weird temperature reading I would say it is probely due to the socket mod (not that you did anything wrong) but the BIOS might not be able to read the accurate temperatures. Also those temperatures seem fine for that cooler you have. 

As for the weird temperature reading I would say it is probely due to the socket mod (not that you did anything wrong) but the BIOS might not be able to read the accurate temperatures. Also those temperatures seem fine for that cooler you have. 

Thank you! Maybe, I should try installing a modded BIOS that has this cpu's microcode?

Thank you! Maybe, I should try installing a modded BIOS that has this cpu's microcode?

If you can and are willing to take the risk I say go for it :D

If you can and are willing to take the risk I say go for it :D

Can it damage my motherboard? I know, if something goes wrong, I brick my mobo, but if I succes, will it damage it?  :)

Can it damage my motherboard? I know, if something goes wrong, I brick my mobo, but if I succes, will it damage it?  :)

Just make sure you go through the procedure of updating/installing the new BIOS correct and that the BIOS has good reviews (comes from a reputable website) and you should be fine. If you are worried about it and the setup you have now seems to be working fine then I would say just leave it :)

Okay, thank you!  :)  :)