Place Your Bets

byalexandr

Give your best estimation of when the first desktop GPUs will be released on Nvidia's Pascal architecture and AMD's Polaris architecture.

I know you may say mid-2016, but come on, I mean a specific month, week, even the day if you're confident enough. Personally I'm hoping Polaris cards are released by the end of June so I can get a sweet top tier one for my birthday. What do you guys think?

Also, let's keep the flame wars out of here, we all know Polaris is going to dominate (don't kill me pls).

Might as well spice it up with some photos:

post-2597-0-90097500-1452228981.jpg

post-2597-0-57780500-1452228995_thumb.jp

q4

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Give your best estimation of when the first desktop GPUs will be released on Nvidia's Pascal architecture and AMD's Polaris architecture.

I know you may say mid-2016, but come on, I mean a specific month, week, even the day if you're confident enough. Personally I'm hoping Polaris cards are released by the end of June so I can get a sweet top tier one for my birthday. What do you guys think?

Also, let's keep the flame wars out of here, we all know Polaris is going to dominate (don't kill me pls).

I mustve missed it, but what are we betting?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

February... the 17th, 2017. Both on that day

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Polaris be dominating in TDP.

May 2017 for Polaris

May 2016 for Pascal

November 2016 for pascal

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

q4

February... the 17th, 2017. Both on that day

Polaris be dominating in TDP.

May 2017 for Polaris

May 2016 for Pascal

November 2016 for pascal

But AMD said Polaris is mid-2016? Why are we guessing 2017?

I mustve missed it, but what are we betting?

We're trying to guess (as close as possible) the release date of the first Polaris and Pascal desktop cards.

We're trying to guess (as close as possible) the release date of the first Polaris and Pascal desktop cards.

september 10

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

september 10

I say for Polaris:

June 28th, just because it's my birthday and I want a Polaris card.

For Pascal:

November 20th. Seems pretty right.

Because no one releases stuff on time, that's for noobs

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

6/1/16

NumbersRKewl

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

Because no one releases stuff on time, that's for noobs

Well you do have a point. Still fun to guess though :)

Nvidia will smash Polaris like a grape.

You did not read the post. He said to place your bets on when you think they will arrive. 

Also, I think the two will be a lot closer than what you believe they will be. DX12 should (god, i hope so) be around in a few titles by then. AMD has always played the hardware game seriously, they just fell behind in software. AMD keeping up their hardware trends is a sure bet. Nvidia is the wild card here. They are the ones that have been flip-flopping on raw hardware performance and software optimization, and cutting hardware for the sake of efficiency. Whether or not Nvidia's superior drivers will impact anything when DX12 becomes the norm has yet to be seen.

Anywho, back at OPs question: I hope around Q2 of 2016 for both of them. That is when i plan on replacing my GTX 770, and I need something to be out by then.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Well you do have a point. Still fun to guess though :)

I did guess xD just a pessimistic guess

Spoiler

You did not read the post. He said to place your bets on when you think they will arrive. 

Also, I think the two will be a lot closer than what you believe they will be. DX12 should (god, i hope so) be around in a few titles by then. AMD has always played the hardware game seriously, they just fell behind in software. AMD keeping up their hardware trends is a sure bet. Nvidia is the wild card here. They are the ones that have been flip-flopping on raw hardware performance and software optimization, and cutting hardware for the sake of efficiency. Whether or not Nvidia's superior drivers will impact anything when DX12 becomes the norm has yet to be seen.

Anywho, back at OPs question: I hope around Q2 of 2016 for both of them. That is when i plan on replacing my GTX 770, and I need something to be out by then.

Please please please be Q2...

And for the record, AMD is stepping up their driver game.

Yea, but betting implies risk of some sort, ex. I bet 5 dollars that Bernie Sanders becomes president(just an example, no flame please), then if you agree to the bet and he doesn't win I owe you 5 dollars, or if he does win then you owe me 5 dollars. That is what a bet is. Without stakes, it isn't by definition a bet. It would just be called guessing. So again I ask, what are we betting? Money? Bitcoins? Grandpas dentures?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Polaris... Really reminds me of my hunting UTV:

post-2597-0-61093000-1452229504_thumb.jp

GG AMD, bringing two of my favorite things together.

Yea, but betting implies risk of some sort, ex. I bet 5 dollars that Bernie Sanders becomes president(just an example, no flame please), then if you agree to the bet and he doesn't win I owe you 5 dollars, or if he does win then you owe me 5 dollars. That is what a bet is. Without stakes, it isn't by definition a bet. It would just be called guessing. 

It's just for dat click bait ya know?

Please please please be Q2...

And for the record, AMD is stepping up their driver game.

I noticed that too. That little fan speed issue scared me, but performance wise, they've really done a 180. We have quite a few DX12 titles lined up for 2016, which is what i am hoping we can see benched by the time Pascal and Polaris comes out. After all, it will be the API everyone is flocking to, given what it has promised.

That will be the big decider too, as it levels the playing field. As an ITX man, i mostly want the card with the most performance per watt, so whenever that card hits the market, it will be mine.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

It's just for dat click bait ya know?

Ah, I see... I think theres something in the CoC against clickbait if you really wanna go there... >.>

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!