GPU doesn't post when the heatsink is attached

EDIT: After Failblox' suggestion, we examing the pads around the heatsink, and they have degraded and have worn through at certain points. We will try replacing them, and update soon. Thanks for all the replies :)

Hi,

My friend and I have been struggling with a gtx 670 he bought recently, and have finally had a break. Until today the card had only posted 3 times during our testing.

We have used different power supplies, different video outputs, tried the card in several different systems, changed RAM positions, tried several PCI-E slots, etc etc. Nothing would make the card post consistently. As soon as the system was powered on the gpu fans would blast at 100% and it would not post.

Today, we reapplied thermal paste, and tried again. Nothing. However, after removing the heatsink entirely, and powering on the system, it posted before turning itself off because of the temperature. It posted every time we tried without the heatsink attached. And when I connected the fan header to the gpu the heatsink fans spun normally, and didn't blast at full straight away.

So, our conclusion is that the heatsink itself is causing some issues.

Is there an easy fix for this? Has anyone had experience with heatsinks causing issues with gpus?

Thanks y'all <3

Edit: Album of photos of the pcb and heatsink: http://imgur.com/gallery/ZmU0a

Edited by SquareCarousel

Hi,

My friend and I have been struggling with a gtx 670 he bought recently, and have finally had a break. Until today the card had only posted 3 times during our testing.

We have used different power supplies, different video outputs, tried the card in several different systems, changed RAM positions, tried several PCI-E slots, etc etc. Nothing would make the card post consistently. As soon as the system was powered on the gpu fans would blast at 100% and it would not post.

Today, we reapplied thermal paste, and tried again. Nothing. However, after removing the heatsink entirely, and powering on the system, it posted before turning itself off because of the temperature. It posted every time we tried without the heatsink attached. And when I connected the fan header to the gpu the heatsink fans spun normally, and didn't blast at full straight away.

So, our conclusion is that the heatsink itself is causing some issues.

Is there an easy fix for this? Has anyone had experience with heatsinks causing issues with gpus?

Thanks y'all <3

Picture of the PCB without the cooler? Also, please have some sort of cooling on it.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Did you put the thermal pads back on correctly after taking the heatsink off?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

It sounds like it's not seated properly, or a PCI-E pin is worn out or something. I had a problem with my (long time ago) 750 Ti. It wasn't making good contact and blasted the fan while not posting.

Also make sure any thermal paste is not touching transistors or the PCB, etc.

Did you put the thermal pads back on correctly after taking the heatsink off?

Yes, the heatsink was reseated correctly.

Yes, the heatsink was reseated correctly.

I'm not talking about the heatsink - I mean the little sticky pads that usually cover certain parts of the graphics card PCB like the VRMs. Are you sure all of those are seated where they're supposed to?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

It sounds like it's not seated properly, or a PCI-E pin is worn out or something. I had a problem with my (long time ago) 750 Ti. It wasn't making good contact and blasted the fan while not posting.

Also make sure any thermal paste is not touching transistors or the PCB, etc.

Hmm. When we removed the heatsink initially, the paste was all over the chip and the pcb. I applied only on the chip, and cleaned what I could from the pcb.

Hmm. When we removed the heatsink initially, the paste was all over the chip and the pcb. I applied only on the chip, and cleaned what I could from the pcb.

Use isopropyl alcohol and allow it to dry completely.

Picture of the PCB without the cooler? Also, please have some sort of cooling on it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZmU0a/

Here is an album of the PCB as it is at the moment. The few times I powered on the card without the heatsink I powered it off as soon as I could see that it was posting.

http://imgur.com/a/ZmU0a

Here is an album of the PCB as it is at the moment. The few times I powered on the card without the heatsink I powered it off as soon as I could see that it was posting.

Dead link.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

I'm not talking about the heatsink - I mean the little sticky pads that usually cover certain parts of the graphics card PCB like the VRMs. Are you sure all of those are seated where they're supposed to?

We didn't touch the tape. We are going to find some replacement pads tomorrow. That sounds like it could be the issue.

Still dead.

Edit: Nvm the PREVIOUS link you posted works now.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Still dead.

Edit: Nvm the PREVIOUS link you posted works now.

I don't know what's going on with the links. They work until I post them, and then when I click them from my post they are dead.

We didn't touch the tape. We are going to find some replacement pads tomorrow. That sounds like it could be the issue.

The pads look like they're in the right positions from what I can tell in the photos you linked. Are you sure it's a temperature issue that's causing it to not POST correctly?

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

The pads look like they're in the right positions from what I can tell in the photos you linked. Are you sure it's a temperature issue that's causing it to not POST correctly?

Well it posts fine when the heatsink isn't attached. I think maybe the pads are worn through in some spots and it's enough to cause problems.

Well it posts fine when the heatsink isn't attached. I think maybe the pads are worn through in some spots and it's enough to cause problems.

I don't think that can be a temperature issue then, because the temperatures should be even higher with the heatsink is off, even if you put it on incorrectly or the pads are worn.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

It's hard to tell on the photos, but are there any places where you can see where metal may be able to touch the heatsink?

I don't think that can be a temperature issue then, because the temperatures should be even higher with the heatsink is off, even if you put it on incorrectly or the pads are worn.

I you nailed it with the first idea. The pads look ratty as hell. We're going to have a go replacing them and see if it fixes it.

It's hard to tell on the photos, but are there any places where you can see where metal may be able to touch the heatsink?

That's what we're trying right now. We'll know in like 5 minutes if that's the problem.

quick question....... how much does the card sag with the heatsink on? like someone stated earlier........ maybe the fingers are worn........ or maybe the pci-e slot is missing or has a bent pin??

and i'll edit.......... what do the wires to the heatsink's fan look like? any bare spots?