Advantages and Disadvantages of using a PWM "Y" Splitter

Vengeance_K1ng
Go to solution Solved by MeltingPoint,

You can control 2 or more PWM fans off a single header but you can only read the speed of one of them. Should not be an issue if they are the same fans.

Also, speeds will be different if the fans are not the same.

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

disadvantage: a bit ugly

thats about the only one

If you split another splitter, or daisy chain a bunch of em together you can have power problems for your fan header. I researched it myself, as I was curious.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

You can control 2 or more PWM fans off a single header but you can only read the speed of one of them. Should not be an issue if they are the same fans.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

will they all be controlled by the bios or what?

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

Yes, like any other fan (assuming your mobo doesn't use weird extra software)

You could use the motherboard bios, a software or hardware fan speed controller.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

If i remember my physics semi correctly, the more you split a power source, the more you divide the voltage and amperage.