Can flashing your gpu bios yield better overclocks ?

Coaxialgamer

Title says it all.

Would flashing my 290x with a "high performance" custom bios let me OC my card any farther ?

Right now , i am stuck at ~1140 mhz on core,

Asic quality is 70.5% , so i think it shouldnt be that bad , considering most people can reach 1150 with less than +80mv .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

The only way it could help is by increasing the power target, but remember the silicon lottery can't be overcome.

1,140MHz is probably the limit of what your chip can achieve.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

A custom bios will not make your chip run at higher clocks with lower volts. All it can do is remove voltage limits imposed by the manufacturer.

1100mhz+ is already very good for the 290x so I would not bother, as bios flashing has the potential to brick your card.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Ok , was under the impression that it could help . Thanks !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Ok , was under the impression that it could help . Thanks !

It can help.

Some GPU's with dual bios, for overclocking, sometimes the second bios will run better, but flashing the bios can yeild a better overclock potentially. 

It can help.

Some GPU's with dual bios, for overclocking, sometimes the second bios will run better, but flashing the bios can yeild a better overclock potentially. 

I think the dual BIOS stuff is to increase the clocks(on a lot of cards) and sometimes provides a fail-safe. It doesn't mean the GPU will overclock any better.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The other bios on most cards simply raise the power target maximum (on nvidia) and maybe default voltage. It won't change the silicon on your board and if you have already pushed until you are unstable it likely won't help you go much further.

In my experience, removing any king of boost state and running at a constant clock yielded me 30-40mhz more ( without touching the voltage ) on my 780. I have no idea if you can remove AMDs GPU boost equivalent with a custom bios though

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

It removes limits on the GPU which could yield better overclocks if you are at the limit of the stock bios now and it is still stable but it is risky though because you can potentially brick your GPU, damage it through too much overclock, void your warranty (If you cannot get it back to stock) and many more.

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Flashing a hacked BIOS can help a lot with more voltage and better voltage curves. With that said AMD cards aren't really good OCers so I don't think you'd gain a lot of performance. 

Flashing a hacked BIOS can help a lot with more voltage and better voltage curves. With that said AMD cards aren't really good OCers so I don't think you'd gain a lot of performance.

Honestly, even a few megahertz is fine. +40mhz already yields significant performance boosts.

Honestly, even a few megahertz is fine. +40mhz already yields significant performance boosts.

I have my GTX 980 clocked in at 1530Mhz @ 1.28v I think stock voltage is around 1.21. So the flashed bios added 70mv. 

I hear the 290x/390x aren't great OCers and I haven't heard of many past 1150mhz, so it just sounds like you are at your limit.