The last time amd kicked intel in the ass

rvmva
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,

The Phenom II 955 was actually a very good pick compared to the i5-750. That was late 2009 to late 2010. But even then it was "the Intel is slightly better but costs more".

Since then it's just been "Intel crushes AMD except if you got a very specific budget".

The last time AMD was actually better, not just better in terms of price was Athlon 64 FX back in 2003. I don't remember all that well, but I think Intel did not start becoming dominant until they released the Core 2 Duo and that was something like 2006.

So I guess it looks kind of like this:

2003-2006 = AMD winning.

2006-2010 = Intel winning but not by much (for desktops, Intel was still better for laptops). AMD still found some uses.

2011-2016 = Pretty much no reason to get AMD CPUs.

When was the last time amd's cpu better than intel's

Irrc, long time ago when you were asked if "what's better for gaming" most ppl say Amd. ​What was the last cpu of amd that rises over intel's?

( I don't know if there's already a topic for this. but if ​there is, would you kindly link it?) :)

Athlon 64 days... around 2003-ish

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Hopefully the next time will be when Zen comes out

Hopefully

The Phenom II 955 was actually a very good pick compared to the i5-750. That was late 2009 to late 2010. But even then it was "the Intel is slightly better but costs more".

Since then it's just been "Intel crushes AMD except if you got a very specific budget".

The last time AMD was actually better, not just better in terms of price was Athlon 64 FX back in 2003. I don't remember all that well, but I think Intel did not start becoming dominant until they released the Core 2 Duo and that was something like 2006.

2003-2006 = AMD winning.

2006-2010 = Intel winning but not by much (for desktops, Intel was still better for laptops). AMD still found some uses.

AMD still kicks ass in a budget build.

my problem is heat.  my 9590 is fucking ridiculous for heat output

no shit, you've got a 250w volcano

base clock the thing outputs more heat than any other processor in the fucking world!

even hotter  than almost any oc processor

2003-2006 = AMD winning.

Conroe seemed to be the real turning point I think. NetBurst was a bloated mess. So they went back and kind of started from pre-Pentium 4 designs.

Could benefit AMD to do something similar.