Windows 10 gaming wise?

So I've posting this question on another website....that shall remain nameless (rhymes with lame max)

And I didn't get much help. So, I decided to come to a much more tech savvy community

I still currently have Windows 7 and I was thinking of upgrading to Windows 10.

However, I have heard stories on both ends of the spectrum.

Some people have had horrible experiences with it and others rave about how much they love it.

SOOOOO!

I was wondering if you fine people could give me some input, share your personal experiences, or pros and Cons about Windows 10? 

pros:

• win10 will be longer supported by microsoft, win 7/8.1 support will be cancelled somewhere in the future
  • it is free
  • most of the times it works good/better than win 7
  • win10 is faster than win 7
  • dx12 support

cons

• reported that personal data get easier collected
  • it's win10? not all the programs that run on win 7 will run on win 10 (e.g. older printer drivers, older programs)
  • win7 still a good os so why drop it?
  • dunno (i like win8.1 and don't think about upgrading)
  • work of reinstalling everything after the upgrade (recommended to make a clean install of win 10 after the upgrade)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

If we're are just talking impact on gaming, I suppose the advantages are DX12 (supposedly) but idk how much that is going to matter in the end (there was so much hype - what happened!?)

Also, GFWL is not supported on Windows 10 (again, supposedly) but I've played games that need/use it and they actually worked better than they did on 7 - importing old saves was easier, I didn't have to install GFWL, etc.

Other than that, there is one old game I have that worked a little nicer on 7* but it still works perfectly and that's a pretty specific and minor issue, so overall id say its better.

* It needed to install direct draw or something (can't remember the name) when I first opened it, which it did automatically and without issue, and quickly, so so biggie there, but if I minimize while playing, it never returns the game to normal and I have to just quit which was never an issue before.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The reason I've been thinking about upgrading is purely gaming (because of some comments saying it helps improve performance) however I still do want it to work overall without running into problems with it. My friend upgraded on his laptop and ran into a few problems with some games on steam (probably not the best example) 

The reason I've been thinking about upgrading is purely gaming (because of some comments saying it helps improve performance) however I still do want it to work overall without running into problems with it. My friend upgraded on his laptop and ran into a few problems with some games on steam (probably not the best example) 

The only real problem I had was one it warned me about before hand - the little upgrade tool said "warning: this software may not work correctly with windows 10" and I said "that's fine, it doesn't even work properly now" :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Been on windows 10 for over 3 months now, cant complain :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Windows 7, 8, or 10 are all fine OSes, and for the most part, they're the same OS. Performance between the three of them varies so little, that basically any one of them is on par the others, performance-wise (excluding DirectX 12 games). Other than a few seconds during boot time, Windows 10 is not really faster than Windows 7.

Windows 7 versus 8 versus 10 application performance:

Windows 7 versus 8 versus 10 gaming performance:

Windows 7 will continue to receive security updates until 2020, at which time Windows 10 will be moving out of mainstream support, and a new Windows will likely have already been released for 1 or 2 years. That means that Windows 7 will remain updated beyond Windows 10's time as Microsoft's latest OS.

Windows 7 will receive Vulkan support, which accomplishes the same low level driver to hardware communication which improves application and gaming performance - and pretty much all major PC 3D game engine developers have announced that their engines will support Vulkan, so not having DirectX 12 may be moot.

There are some things I don't like about Windows 10: reduced visual customization options, reduced control over how Windows updates, data-collection, in-OS advertising, a different / reduced functionality start menu... but other than those things it's basically the same experience as Windows 7.

Best thing to do might be to look at videos and see if you like Windows 10's UI look, and the way its start menu is different. Those are probably the differences which you'll notice the most. And beyond that, it might feel just the same.

If you have a retail version of Windows 7, what you can do is take the free update to Windows 10, and then reinstall Windows 7 (or install Windows 7 on a separate partition, and then upgrade that partition to Windows 10). Once your Windows 7 license is registered as receiving the Windows 10 upgrade, it can forever be used to install either Windows 7 or 10. Then you'll have both Windows 7 and Windows 10, and can use whichever you prefer, and always be able to switch to the other if you ever want to.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I upgraded from 8.1 Pro to Win10 after being afraid of the same things you are, and don't regret it (so far). I've been using it for ~3 months and haven't had any compatibility or driver issues. Because of certain programs on my PC I couldn't risk a clean install and just did an update to 10 and still no problem.

I even like the gimmicky stuff like Cortana. My mic can pick me up anywhere in my house so I'll just yell "HEY CORTANTA! Who is Jennifer Lawrence currently seeing?" and see will answer :3 (set her up to answer using google instead of bing).

Also you can change the privacy settings to avoid any problems with that.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

pros:

• win10 will be longer supported by microsoft, win 7/8.1 support will be cancelled somewhere in the future
  • it is free
  • most of the times it works good/better than win 7
  • win10 is faster than win 7
  • dx12 support
cons

• reported that personal data get easier collected
  • it's win10? not all the programs that run on win 7 will run on win 10 (e.g. older printer drivers, older programs)
  • win7 still a good os so why drop it?
  • dunno (i like win8.1 and don't think about upgrading)
  • work of reinstalling everything after the upgrade (recommended to make a clean install of win 10 after the upgrade)
If you live in the United States and have heard of CISPA, that makes Windows 10 data collection look like a joke. Microsoft even announced that they will notify any of their Outlook.com users of an attempted government hacking.

https://www.rt.com/news/microsoft-cispa-cyber-security-232/

http://gizmodo.com/cispa-the-awful-anti-privacy-law-that-wont-prevent-ano-1678561060

Good discussion on how to protect yourself online from government spying

A comment on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/3yumph/slug/cyh1un5

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440