Nothing to do

Bazilias

Hi guys,

So i'm in a intership but don't have anything to do here. Literally nothing. I'm sitting here with 3 colleagues and they are doing the helpdesk. The administrators are gone and I don't have anything to do.
Do some of you guys know something to kill the time? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Find something to do, you won't be getting much out of your "internship" if you're just sitting there. Also get off your damn phone, employees don't like that :P 

Intel i5 3570K. Cooler Master Seidon 120V. Asus P8Z77-V LK. Corsair vengeance LP 8GB. EVGA GTX 980 TI ACX 2.0+ SC. Seasonic M12-II 750w. NZXT H440. Crucial BX100 250GB. Corsair Neutron 64GB SSD. Seagate 1TB. Razer Death Adder 2013. Razer Blackwidow Tournament. Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm/Mod Mic 4.0. FiiO E10K DAC. Steelseries QCK+. Benq XL2430T@144Hz. 2x Dell U2414H. Phone Sony Xperia Z3

Hi guys,

So i'm in a intership but don't have anything to do here. Literally nothing. I'm sitting here with 3 colleagues and they are doing the helpdesk. The administrators are gone and I don't have anything to do.

Do some of you guys know something to kill the time? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Go on youtube and learn of to set up a Hyper-V or ESX-i environment!

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

scroll 9gag. read some creepypastas. if ye have a pair of headphones, ye can watch a few youtube videos. or ye can quite simply dick around with a virtual box machine

Take initiative? Be proactive? Im not sure what your hoping to get out of this infernship, but most people in such positions look for job experience, a possible job oppertunity, and a reference. If your trying to "kill time" youve missed the point. This time as an intern is valuable, so instead of killing it, take advantage. Find something to do, some way to help, do something productive to the company in the time that your three other colleagues "kill time". Who do you think the employer is most likely going to hire/reccomend? The guy who took initiative? Or the ofher three that sat twiddling their thumbs? Who do you think will gain more experience? The one who actively spends their time learning about the field? Or the other three that wasted that valuable time browsing facebook?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

4chan 

Amd phenom ii x4 955 Asus crosshair iv formula Kingston hyperx fury 8GB 1600mhz ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
Cooler master haf xb evo Antec 750w 500gb wd black BenQ gw2760hs Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 

Go on youtube and learn of to set up a Hyper-V or ESX-i environment!

Forgot to mention. I can't use Youtube.

Take initiative? Be proactive? Im not sure what your hoping to get out of this infernship, but most people in such positions look for job experience, a possible job oppertunity, and a reference. If your trying to "kill time" youve missed the point. This time as an intern is valuable, so instead of killing it, take advantage. Find something to do, some way to help, do something productive to the company in the time that your three other colleagues "kill time". Who do you think the employer is most likely going to hire/reccomend? The guy who took initiative? Or the ofher three that sat twiddling their thumbs? Who do you think will gain more experience? The one who actively spends their time learning about the field? Or the other three that wasted that valuable time browsing facebook?

The problem is, the helpdesk operators get calls every 2 minutes so I can't ask them anything because they're very busy. Normally I ask the administrators but they're gone the whole day. I also can't do anything without permission of the colleagues. We have some computers for customers that i have installed and made them ready for shipment but that's all. I also did some server inventarisation in case they want to sell them (they're pretty old).

And if it`s truly `the worst` (never), you can just read a book online or learn how to code or such

to game or not to game, that`s the question

Text based tutorials are also good. Do you have access to a computer with VMware? Try learning something- get to grips with PowerShell- it should come pre-installed with your OS (Windows 8 and up)

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

The problem is, the helpdesk operators get calls every 2 minutes so I can't ask them anything because they're very busy. Normally I ask the administrators but they're gone the whole day. I also can't do anything without permission of the colleagues. We have some computers for customers that i have installed and made them ready for shipment but that's all. I also did some server inventarisation in case they want to sell them (they're pretty old).

Thats no excuse. Clearly you still have the internet. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the company if they have a website. Read online about whatever field it is your working in. Read some tutorials as others suggested. Come up with some ideas to pitch them when you get the chance. Do you books there? Manuals? Spec sheets? Any relevant reading material whatsoever? If you cant do any of this for some reason, just pick a subject your interested in and learn about it. We live in the information age ffs. You literally have access to the sum of all human knowledge anywhere that has a wifi connection...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Text based tutorials are also good. Do you have access to a computer with VMware? Try learning something- get to grips with PowerShell- it should come pre-installed with your OS (Windows 8 and up)

I'm one WYSE thin client which don't have windows as an operating system so i can't do anything with a virtual machine or things like that (and the specs of the thin client are crappy as well lol).

Thats no excuse. Clearly you still have the internet. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the company if they have a website. Read online about whatever field it is your working in. Read some tutorials as others suggested. Come up with some ideas to pitch them when you get the chance. Do you books there? Manuals? Spec sheets? Any relevant reading material whatsoever? If you cant do any of this for some reason, just pick a subject your interested in and learn about it. We live in the information age ffs. You literally have access to the sum of all human knowledge anywhere that has a wifi connection...

Well it's pretty boring if you do that for 9 hours straight. Their site is pretty basic you can't learn much from that. I'm always on the forums when i don't have anything to do but that is also getting boring imo. I do watch tutorials some times (not on Youtube) but can't find interesting ones which also will take a lot of time.

I'm one WYSE thin client which don't have windows as an operating system so i can't do anything with a virtual machine or things like that (and the specs of the thin client are crappy as well lol).

Well... They are really bad at managing your time then. Can you ask one of the admins to give you something to do? You are wasting your time and they are wasting money.

Well it's pretty boring if you do that for 9 hours straight. Their site is pretty basic you can't learn much from that. I'm always on the forums when i don't have anything to do but that is also getting boring imo. I do watch tutorials some times (not on Youtube) but can't find interesting ones which also will take a lot of time.

I dunno what else to tell you m8. You have the entire internet at your disposal to learn from, but clearly you dont want to. I cant make you want to be succesful in this internship or wanna learn. Its like the old saying. You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make them drink.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

go omegle

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Drink some coffee, like I am doing right now.

go play some Pokemon

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well... They are really bad at managing your time then. Can you ask one of the admins to give you something to do? You are wasting your time and they are wasting money.

That's the problem the Admins are all gone for the entire day. I'm trying to ask the helpdesk operators but they're very busy at the moment so they can't help me. I want to get something to take apart or try to something with old parts they have lying around but can't touch anything without permission.

I dunno what else to tell you m8. You have the entire internet at your disposal to learn from, but clearly you dont want to. I cant make you want to be succesful in this internship or wanna learn. Its like the old saying. You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make them drink.

Everything you guys suggested, I already did it in the past couple of weeks. My colleagues are too busy with themselfs so they can't help me. I read many tutorials about coding, virtualization, Hyper-v/VMware, making websites etc. I'm trying to do a lot by myself but I can't do a lot of things without permission.

Drink some coffee, like I am doing right now.

I'm doing that every 7 minutes xD.

That's the problem the Admins are all gone for the entire day. I'm trying to ask the helpdesk operators but they're very busy at the moment so they can't help me. I want to get something to take apart or try to something with old parts they have lying around but can't touch anything without permission.

Everything you guys suggested, I already did it in the past couple of weeks. My colleagues are too busy with themselfs so they can't help me. I read many tutorials about coding, virtualization, Hyper-v/VMware, making websites etc. I'm trying to do a lot by myself but I can't do a lot of things without permission.

I'm doing that every 7 minutes xD.

Well, careful, not too much caffeine.

Look over their documentation for common tasks and find a way to improve them. Or just find any process they do and try to improve it.

When I was an intern I just went to other departments and offer assistance when my team was busy or out for the day.

EDIT: Ask if they have a CBT Nuggets subscription.

-KuJoe

Need to stay awake :P

Caffeine is still a drug, quit after  4 cups.

it stays active for at least 6 hours+, so it's not like it's a temporary boost.