Is it really bad as they say it is

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

Would I be good with buying the i3-4160 and a Z97 motherboard so that when I have the chance I can get the i5-4690k and save money not buying another motherboard to get overclocking features?

The i3 + Z97 would definitely provide a better upgrade path, but the question is this: Do you need to buy right away, or can you save now and buy later? Since saving up to get the i5 initially will definitely be better value in the long run.

But you can always sell the i3 you buy used (Even here on LTT via the Classifieds), to help offset the upgrade to an i5 (or i7) later.

Is the AMD Fx-6300 really as bad as people say it is

Depends on what its being used for. For that price for gaming, an i3 is usually better

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Compared ti i5's and i7's yeah sure, but vs an i3 it's sort of competitive due to price, but that's it.

Better than a Pentium 3 that most seem to like around here.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Its good if your on a tight budget, its certainly not going to impress anyone though.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Depends on what you are comparing it to. It's still a decent entry-level gaming CPU. You can still game at 1080p on low-medium settings and expect solid frames - assuming you have a good enough GPU to match it with.

It's not very strong though, and in many cases (though not all), it gets beat by an Intel i3 CPU - for gaming, an i3 w/ HT would probably be a better choice, if you were deciding which to buy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i3 For purely gaming

FX-6300 if you plan to edit, render, possibly livestream ect.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

It just bottlenecks all the good available cards and limits you to playing medium-low settings on AAA titles. So yea it's kinda bad if you want to play any game, but if you're easily satisfied, the price makes everything else irrelevant.

Spoiler

Depends on what they are saying about it, but in general I hear that FX chips are just "terrible", which they are not. Yes Intel is better for the tasks they are referring to, but a chip that delivers an acceptable amount of performance and isn't overpriced is still not "terrible", just not as good when compared to X(this would be like saying a Mustang is a terrible car since a Camaro is faster, just no).

I actually use FX chips unlike most that like to assume the performance of them, and they hold up well in games(not as good as either of my i7's, but like I said, acceptable performance).

Edit: Like I said, assumptions lol. low-med settings, sigh....

Depends on what you are comparing it to. It's still a decent entry-level gaming CPU. You can still game at 1080p on low-medium settings and expect solid frames - assuming you have a good enough GPU to match it with.

It's not very strong though, and in many cases (though not all), it gets beat by an Intel i3 CPU - for gaming, an i3 w/ HT would probably be a better choice, if you were deciding which to buy.

Would I be good with buying the i3-4160 and a Z97 motherboard so that when I have the chance I can get the i5-4690k and save money not buying another motherboard to get overclocking features?

As somone who was able to pin a FX 4300 against a i3 3220...

The i3 made for a smoother experience for Battlefield 4, on a baseline reading with 0 players on a server. There's some micro stutter on 64P servers though

The FX 4300 had lower frames but they were more consistent... (Less lag spikes and the like) 

Soooo... Yeah, i3 wins in gaming, FX wins for productivity stuff...

IMO i3 wins

Here are my options

Pentium G3258 - I5-4690K (I think best option but can it still play GTA V paired with a GTX 960?)

I3-4160 - I5-4690K (Ive heard tho it's not much of a boost in performance)

Or just an FX-6300 no upgrade

Or just an i3-4160

Better than a Pentium 3 that most seem to like around here.

What?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

The i3 + Z97 would definitely provide a better upgrade path, but the question is this: Do you need to buy right away, or can you save now and buy later? Since saving up to get the i5 initially will definitely be better value in the long run.

But you can always sell the i3 you buy used (Even here on LTT via the Classifieds), to help offset the upgrade to an i5 (or i7) later.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

What?

i think he ment a pentium g3258 or whatever

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Yeah considering the price difference between i3 and i5 is about $100 here in Australia, I could wait an extra few weeks to get $100 and then be better in the long run

It was a decent chip when it came out.  

Now its not particularly good.  In heavily multi-threaded workloads its better than an i3.  But an i3 from ivy-bridge and on has better single threaded performance. 

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

OOOOOVEERRR CLOOOOOCCKKKIIIING FTW!

Nah, it's a pretty garbage chip on the whole, but a decent little thing when looking at the price bracket.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

If you're buying a CPU today Intel is your best bet.  And I say that as someone whose last two processors - including my current one - are AMDs. 

Even an i3 will outperform an FX-6300 in most titles, plus you get PCI-Express 3.0, M.2 support, etc. with the newer Intel platform.  Not to mention an upgrade path to a more powerful i5 or i7 down the road if you wish.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail