z170 mobo recommendation

My P8Z77-V pro is slowly dying. 2 of the rear USB's are finicky, the 4-pin fan hub for the rear fan quit throttling and runs at max speed now, and a few weeks back I had big issues with the storage controller and POSTing. Though earlier than I would like, I think it is time to do an upgrade.

I have decided on the i7 6700 non-k variant as I only dabble in overclocking and do not actually plan on doing so anymore (too much headache for a student). I have always had success with Asus motherboards and would like to stick to that brand unless there is a better alternative / new front-runner. Only problem is there are 43 freaking Asus 1151 motherboards on newegg right now. What is the best one for my situation? I like the z170-pro, however I'd fill up all 5 USB ports on the rear.

My P8Z77-V pro is slowly dying. 2 of the rear USB's are finicky, the 4-pin fan hub for the rear fan quit throttling and runs at max speed now, and a few weeks back I had big issues with the storage controller and POSTing. Though earlier than I would like, I think it is time to do an upgrade.

I have decided on the i7 6700 non-k variant as I only dabble in overclocking and do not actually plan on doing so anymore (too much headache for a student). I have always had success with Asus motherboards and would like to stick to that brand unless there is a better alternative / new front-runner. Only problem is there are 43 freaking Asus 1151 motherboards on newegg right now. What is the best one for my situation? I like the z170-pro, however 5 USB ports on the back seems low.

How much do you want to spend and what features do you want?

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

What sort of budget?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

oops, forgot to add that. under $200 for mobo.

features? I'd like M.2, USB type-c is take it or leave it.

oops, forgot to add that. under $200 for mobo.

features? I'd like M.2, USB type-c is take it or leave it.

ASRock Extreme4 might be a good alternative.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

I have decided on the i7 6700 non-k variant as I only dabble in overclocking and do not actually plan on doing so anymore (too much headache for a student). I have always had success with Asus motherboards and would like to stick to that brand unless there is a better alternative / new front-runner. Only problem is there are 43 freaking Asus 1151 motherboards on newegg right now. What is the best one for my situation? I like the z170-pro, however I'd fill up all 5 USB ports on the rear.

tbh, asus, msi, gigabyte, or asrock, either one is fine. They all have usb type-c and M.2. Everything come down to aesthetic, so just choose one that u like and think it looks nice. There are not a whole lot to recommend on a motherboard.

I have narrowed it down to the ASRock Extreme4, Gigabyte Z170 Gaming5, and the EVGA z170 FTW. I am leaning towards the EVGA because it had good reviews on quality (okay, tweaktown said the components were of higher build than comparable mobos) and I have always gone with EVGA for my gpu and never had a quality issue.

I have narrowed it down to the ASRock Extreme4, Gigabyte Z170 Gaming5, and the EVGA z170 FTW. I am leaning towards the EVGA because it had good reviews on quality (okay, tweaktown said the components were of higher build than comparable mobos) and I have always gone with EVGA for my gpu and never had a quality issue.

that evga board has no usb type-c if you are fine with it then it is all good. I like the all black on their board.

Yeah I am fine with it - worse case scenario type-c gets really popular really fast and I buy an adapter. woop de doo

Yeah I am fine with it - worse case scenario type-c gets really popular really fast and I buy an adapter. woop de doo

you should be able to buy the adapter, I dont think it is a problem. It would be popular on phone more, for pc stuff it wont be any time soon since many thing still use USB 2.0/3.0