Can't get 1Gbps on network

DudeSand

Hey, so i recently upgraded to a 300/100  mbps line with my ISP (like several hours ago) but i can't seem to get link speed to auto negotiate to 1000mbps at all, any attempt to setting speed and duplex to 1000 simply results in <no cable plugged> message on local area connection, switching back to auto or 100 mbps full duplex and it always finds a signal within 10 seconds.

http://i.imgur.com/cvCiyLM.png

Does anyone have any idea about this? my motherboard is Asrock b85 pro4 asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85%20Pro4/?cat=Specifications (copy and paste the link, otherwise it gives error)

It clearly states it supports up to 1000mbps lan, i have all the drivers, still can't get it working

My setup is quite simple, I live in a condo where ISP setup a industrial modem in the basement and they simply throw fiber cables to any apartment, the cable directly plugs into my PC and i simply login with provided PPPoE credentials, i have no routers going or wifi.

I don't want to bother my ISP about this yet because if it's hardware issue on my side they charge a lot of money for just coming over to check. 

Maybe the provided modem doesn't have gigabit LAN ports?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

Maybe the provided modem doesn't have gigabit LAN ports?

It should, since before upgrading you enter your address into the field and it auto checks if the speed is supported on the given address, if it's not it will simply not give option to upgrade.

Broken/old cable? Try another one. And maybe you have an old modem.

I don't have access to the modem since as i stated it's in the basement locked inside a metal box which only techs from my ISP have key to, same with cable, it's a singular cable which just runs straight from the box to my apt.

I don't have access to the modem since as i stated it's in the basement locked inside a metal box which only techs from my ISP have key to, same with cable, it's a singular cable which just runs straight from the box to my apt.

Holy crap those assholes.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

It should, since before upgrading you enter your address into the field and it auto checks if the speed is supported on the given address, if it's not it will simply not give option to upgrade.

Yeah you can have the option for faster internet or whatever, but if the supplied equipment isn't capable of achieving it, you won't get the speeds you're paying for...What is the brand/model number of your modem?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

Make sure your adapter is in 1000Base-T or Auto mode.

Make sure you are using a Cat5E cable or greater that has all 8 connectors wired - if you miss one it won't work.

Get a different cable first, then check your drivers second.

Damn. That's stupid as shit.

You mean the internet cable is not replaceable so the modem is in the basement locked in a box and from there is an Ethernet cable directly in your PC so no router or switch at all?

That's the weirdest stupidest shit I have ever heard... Call your ISP and tell them they are retards and that they have to come fix you stuff... And also for free

What is the model of your ISP Box? it also needs to be 1000Base-T compatible for it to work.

I don't understand what you are trying to do

if you have 100mbit internet...why does it matter if you don't get 1000mbit on your pc?...are you trying to connect 2 or more computers together?

if so you should be buying a router thats gigabit..then plug all your pcs into that

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Yeah you can have the option for faster internet or whatever, but if the supplied equipment isn't capable of achieving it, you won't get the speeds you're paying for...What is the brand/model number of your modem?

no clue, i don't even know what it looks like.

Make sure your adapter is in 1000Base-T or Auto mode.

Make sure you are using a Cat5E cable or greater that has all 8 connectors wired - if you miss one it won't work.

Get a different cable first, then check your drivers second.

did what i could, drivers all good, cable looks good on the outside, inside no idea.

Damn. That's stupid as shit.

hell yeah.

I don't understand what you are trying to do

if you have 100mbit internet...why does it matter if you don't get 1000mbit on your pc?...are you trying to connect 2 or more computers together?

if so you should be buying a router thats gigabit..then plug all your pcs into that

I had 100mbit up/down previously, i upgraded to 300 up / 300 down which I'm not getting, I'm still at my old speeds, to achieve 300 up/down speeds the handshake must be set to 1000mbps which it does not allow me to,  pretty simple ain't it?

no clue, i don't even know what it looks like.

did what i could, drivers all good, cable looks good on the outside, inside no idea.

hell yeah.

I had 100mbit up/down previously, i upgraded to 300 up / 300 down which I'm not getting, I'm still at my old speeds, to achieve 300 up/down speeds the handshake must be set to 1000mbps which it does not allow me to,  pretty simple ain't it?

then the modem for the condo isn't capable of 300...and you might as well go back to 100...

then the modem for the condo isn't capable of 300...and you might as well go back to 100...

Thing is tho, they told me IT IS in person, and their website verified our condo supports it, and allowed me to upgrade. If it's not a hardware issue on my side (like MB not supporting it or me needing a expensive network card) I'll just deal with them directly. It's like i  said in my OP, I need to verify it's not my fault so they don't come up with a reason to charge me for fixing it.

Thing is tho, they told me IT IS in person, and their website verified our condo supports it, and allowed me to upgrade. If it's not a hardware issue on my side (like MB not supporting it or me needing a expensive network card) I'll just deal with them directly. It's like i  said in my OP, I need to verify it's not my fault so they don't come up with a reason to charge me for it.

plug it into another pc..and test

Thing is tho, they told me IT IS in person, and their website verified our condo supports it, and allowed me to upgrade. If it's not a hardware issue on my side (like MB not supporting it or me needing a expensive network card) I'll just deal with them directly. It's like i said in my OP, I need to verify it's not my fault so they don't come up with a reason to charge me for fixing it.

The cable coming from the locked box is it plugged directly into your PC or into a router or switch?

The cable coming from the locked box is it plugged directly into your PC or into a router or switch?

Already been said

the cable directly plugs into my PC and i simply login with provided PPPoE credentials, i have no routers going or wifi.

plug it into another pc..and test

I'll try that when i can.

Already been said

what ip are you getting from this locked modem....is it an internal ip or external

what ip are you getting from this locked modem....is it an internal ip or external

clarify

Already been said

Your ISP are assholes... You can try to replace the plug but I think the cable is cat5 or most certain broken.

Contact your ISP and tell them that it is their fault and that the modem or the cable is broken and that they have to come fix it for free or else change ISP

clarify

192.168.x.x= internal ip (few other common internal ips as well)

134.56.78.23= external ip...or something like this

Your ISP are assholes... You can try to replace the plug but I think the cable is cat5 or most certain broken.

Contact your ISP and tell them that it is their fault and that the modem or the cable is broken and that they have to come fix it for free or else change ISP

I'm recalling a tech guy who came over did a shitty job (which at the time i didn't pay attention to since everything was working) he spliced only 4 cables from cat5 to my apt. Might be that.

192.168.x.x= internal ip (few other common internal ips as well)

134.56.78.23= external ip...or something like this

where do you want me to look these up, network connections? 

this is what i got http://i.imgur.com/Jjgb4OM.png

I'm recalling a tech guy who came over did a shitty job (which at the time i didn't pay attention to since everything was working) he spliced only 4 cables from cat5 to my apt. Might be that.

No shit it isn't working... You need 8 cables or 4 pairs http://cselection.com/uploads/3/3/9/8/3398591/6074265_orig.jpg

Edit: call your ISP not that guy