ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Series Z170 ATX

Can someone rank the ASUS Z170 Republic of Gamers Maximus VIII series ATX motherboards? What are the pros and cons of each in comparision and price range?

I think the ROG Z170 Maximus VIII lineup is Extreme, Hero, Formula, and Ranger in the ATX form factor. Not sure if I'm missing one. I've never really spec 'd these out as I've been concentrating on ITX and MATX until now. Might end up with a compact ATX case at the end of my build quest.

They did release the Maximus VIII Alpha, but I don't know where it ranks.

|My Rig| |Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4.70GHz| |GT 740| |16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2133MHz| |240GB PNY SSD, 1TB WD Blue (RAID 0), 320GB Backup Drive| |Corsair 600C| |EVGA Supernove 850 G2| 

Can someone rank the ASUS Z170 Republic of Gamers Maximus VIII series ATX motherboards? What are the pros and cons of each in comparision and price range?

I think the ROG Z170 Maximus VIII lineup is Extreme, Hero, Formula, and Ranger in the ATX form factor. Not sure if I'm missing one. I've never really spec 'd these out as I've been concentrating on ITX and MATX until now. Might end up with a compact ATX case at the end of my build quest.

I believe it goes like this, lowest end to highest end:

Ranger

Hero

Hero Alpha

Formula

Extreme

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I heard that the Ranger is the ATX equivalent of the mATX Gene which is considered a good board in its own right, and the the Hero just adds a few features and plastic I/O shield cosmetics? Not sure what the Alpha version brings to the table. The Extreme is just too damn expensive.

I downloaded the ASUS site CVS spreadsheet so I can compare most of the features

Z170 ASUS Maximus VIII Hero - 3733+ MHz (OC) 64GB DDR4 (4x16) - $235 Newegg
Z170 ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger 3466+ MHz (OC) 64GB DDR4 (4x16) - $200 Newegg

The Hero supports slightly higher memory overclock frequencies than the Ranger (matching the Z170 ASUS Maximus VIII Gene there) and also features Anti-surge LAN (RJ45) port, 2 extra SATA ports, Gold-plated audio jacks, LED 16,000 color lighting, and a decorative plastic I/O shield. Is that worth the extra $35 though? The price range isn't so much a factor. If going ITX, would choose the Z170 ASUS Maximus VIII Impact - 4133+ (OC) 32GB (2x16) DDR4 - $239 Newegg

What do you think?