The User Profile Service failed the logon

Tris15
Go to solution Solved by BoomLiam,

Are you able to boot the computer up into safe mode? Also, is there only the one user on the computer because should an anti-virus scan be running on the background on a different account, it can cause this problem.

Hey guys, 

On my little brothers laptop when he tries to logon this shows up:

The User Profile Service failed the logon

How can I fix that, we need to use the laptop today!

Thanks!

EDIT: He uses Windows 7 Home Premium, its a Dell XPS laptop

Are you able to boot the computer up into safe mode? Also, is there only the one user on the computer because should an anti-virus scan be running on the background on a different account, it can cause this problem.

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

only one, trying safe mode now

mate you are a hero!

mate you are a hero!

Just because you can boot into safe mode however, this may not have fixed the problem entirely. I would suggest using a Windows Restore point in order to return the computer to a state were it was working before. If that doesn't work then there are some things that you may have to do in the registry, in which case follow this guide very carefully: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/i-receive-error-message-the-user-profile-service/38844b82-a2c1-4fa2-9802-a5318d6f7831 but only after you have tried using a restore point :)

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

Just because you can boot into safe mode however, this may not have fixed the problem entirely. I would suggest using a Windows Restore point in order to return the computer to a state were it was working before. If that doesn't work then there are some things that you may have to do in the registry, in which case follow this guide very carefully: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/i-receive-error-message-the-user-profile-service/38844b82-a2c1-4fa2-9802-a5318d6f7831 but only after you have tried using a restore point :)

it indeed didn't solve the problem, trying that post on the microsoft site now, but thank you very much!!! :D