Rise Of The Tomb Raider coming to Windows on January 28th, speculative min reqs and price added

Master Disaster

There's absolutely zero chance of this game supporting DX12.

For a start it's an Nvidia GW title and we all know about recent Nvidia DX12 news.

Next is the fact we already know AotS will be the first DX12 game released.

Finally I think SE would be making a much bigger deal out of this launch if it was DX12 as it would be the first one in the market.

It's not a Gameworks title. The game is using AMD's TressFX 3.0. AMD's deals don't prevent studios from entering agreements with their competitors. Nvidia probably went to SE and used their market share and sales data to talk SE into doing a bundle with GPUs.

Ashes is available to purchase as an Early Access title. Has been since October.

microsoft need to drop shit load of money at the devs to have exclusives now, XBone really didnt sell well at all, if that wasn't bad enough instead of going for VR, they choosed Hololens, and the last time i heard of hololens, was the closure of the studio working on it,  add kinect to that, this console is a freaking mess.

they should cut their loses and launch a new console with nintendoNX time frame.

This deal was likely made before the XB1 was even announced to the public. Official word of it being in development came from Se way back in August of 2013.

I still think the game sale suffered a lot from Fallout 4 releasing at the same time. I honestly think Deus Ex Mankind Divided was postponed to August, because it would compete too much with Tomb Raider and Hitman, both releasing Q1.

It's NOT a GameWorks title. It uses TressFX, which is the original hair simulation tech, that HairWorks is (badly) based on.

SE hasn't even officially published news about the PC version yet, so you cannot conclude that.

Being exclusive and releasing along side FO4 was very bad for the game. As soon as Bethesda announced the release date for FO4 Of course it also released right between Battlefront and Call of Duty so that would also hurt it. It really should have been an October or December game, heck maybe even a January game.

I still think the game sale suffered a lot from Fallout 4 releasing at the same time. I honestly think Deus Ex Mankind Divided was postponed to August, because it would compete too much with Tomb Raider and Hitman, both releasing Q1.

It's NOT a GameWorks title. It uses TressFX, which is the original hair simulation tech, that HairWorks is (badly) based on.

SE hasn't even officially published news about the PC version yet, so you cannot conclude that.

It's not a Gameworks title. The game is using AMD's TressFX 3.0. AMD's deals don't prevent studios from entering agreements with their competitors. Nvidia probably went to SE and used their market share and sales data to talk SE into doing a bundle with GPUs.

Ashes is available to purchase as an Early Access title. Has been since October.

This deal was likely made before the XB1 was even announced to the public. Official word of it being in development came from Se way back in August of 2013.

Being exclusive and releasing along side FO4 was very bad for the game. As soon as Bethesda announced the release date for FO4 Of course it also released right between Battlefront and Call of Duty so that would also hurt it. It really should have been an October or December game, heck maybe even a January game.

So why are Nvidia giving it away with GTX GPUs then? That has only ever happened with GW titles in the past.

tomb_raider_nvidia_2-635x167.jpg

tomb_raider_nvidia_1.jpg

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So why are Nvidia giving it away with GTX GPUs then? That has only ever happened with GW titles in the past.

Because they made a promotion deal with Square Enix? There are no GameWorks effects in the game, and I doubt there will be. Unlike NVidia sponsored titles, AMD doesn't limit their partners.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Because they made a promotion deal with Square Enix? There are no GameWorks effects in the game, and I doubt there will be. Unlike NVidia sponsored titles, AMD doesn't limit their partners.

But your seriously suggesting that Nvidia are promoting and showcasing a game which supports their rivals technology and not their own? Not a chance in hell.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

But your seriously suggesting that Nvidia are promoting and showcasing a game which supports their rivals technology and not their own? Not a chance in hell.

Alternatively, do you seriously think Nvidia wouldn't be telling every single person willing to listen that they managed to snag one of AMD's biggest partners? Remember, Crystal Dynamics helped develop TressFX. Getting Rise as a Gameworks title would be a HUGE get.

I'm not suggesting, I'm concluding. Rise of the Tomb Raider officially uses TressFX on XBone and PC. That is no surprise. There is however no statement that this game or any other Square Enix game uses or ever will use GameWorks.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm not suggesting, I'm concluding. Rise of the Tomb Raider officially uses TressFX on XBone and PC. That is no surprise. There is however no statement that this game or any other Square Enix game uses or ever will use GameWorks.

There's nothing officially announced for the PC version other than the release date. If you've seen anything official please post it here.

And the conclusion is wrong, Nvidia have only ever given Gameworks games away with Nvidia hardware so the fact they're giving Rise away with GTX 970 & 980/ti for free must mean Rise will be a GW title.

The alternative is not something Nvidia would ever do.

Bundling the game with Nvidia GPUs =\= GameWorks. If you're going to make that claim, provide evidence. Crytek, EA and Square Enix = AMD.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

There's nothing officially announced for the PC version other than the release date. If you've seen anything official please post it here.

And the conclusion is wrong, Nvidia have only ever given Gameworks games away with Nvidia hardware so the fact they're giving Rise away with GTX 970 & 980/ti for free must mean Rise will be a GW title.

Here's the thing: The only official information we have is that Crystal worked with AMD to develop TressFX. They further worked with AMD to bring TressFX to consoles. On consoles Rise uses a new version of TressFX. A few years ago AMD made a deal with SquareEnix to include their tech in games. As far as anyone knows the next Deus Ex is an AMD partnered game, meaning that deal is still active. It would be incredibly weird if that deal did not include Rise of the Tomb Raider, especially given the close relationship between Crystal and AMD. It is possible that Nvidia came in and signed a deal for Gameworks in the game, but until either party says so stating it as a fact is wrong.

Tell you what. If the game launches without TressFX but with GameWorks, I'll buy the game for you. However if it laucnhes with TressFX and NOT GameWorks, you buy it for me. Deal?

Bundling the game with Nvidia GPUs =\= GameWorks. If you're going to make that claim, provide evidence. Crytek, EA and Square Enix = AMD.

RS:S

AC:S

War Thunder

Heroes Of The Storm

MGS:V

B:AK

TW3

FC4

AC:U

The Crew

Borderlands TPS

Watch Dogs

All Gameworks titles and is the complete list of games Nvidia have given away with their GPUs.

So what place does an AMD game have on that list exactly?

War Thunder

Heroes Of The Storm

TW3

FC4

The Crew

Borderlands TPS

Watch Dogs

All Gameworks titles and is the complete list of games Nvidia have given away with their GPUs.

LOL. Heroes of the Storm is GameWorks? AHAHAHAHAHAHA. And how exactly do you give away a free game? You forgot one important thing. All those other games had trailers showcasing GameWorks tech that was being used in them and pages on Nvidia's website talking about them. Now, can you provide either of those? No? That's what I thought. It's also hilarious that you think a list is confirmation that GameWorks tech is in Tomb Raider. Did you know that the people at Nvidia drink water? I heard the people working on Tomb Raider also drink water. Therefore, GameWorks.

michaeljordanlol_1.gif

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

War Thunder

Heroes Of The Storm

TW3

FC4

The Crew

Borderlands TPS

Watch Dogs

Maybe they've changed their bundled games policy after the Batman Arkham Knight mess?

LOL. Heroes of the Storm is GameWorks? AHAHAHAHAHAHA. And how exactly do you give away a free game? You forgot one important thing. All those other games had trailers showcasing GameWorks tech that was being used in them and pages on Nvidia's website talking about them. Now, can you provide either of those? No? That's what I thought. It's also hilarious that you think a list is confirmation that GameWorks tech is in Tomb Raider. Did you know that the people at Nvidia drink water? I heard the people working on Tomb Raider also drink water. Therefore, GameWorks.

michaeljordanlol_1.gif

And can you provide any proof it isn't a gameworks title?

You can be obtuse and flippant all you like, the simple fact us you've got the same amount of evidence to back your claim up as I have mine.

The difference is, I have provided some circumstantial evidence to back my claim up.

Now the ball is in your court.

And FTR HotS was a specific giveaway with a 950 & 960, all the others were for 970+ and Rise is being given away with 970+. The fact you could only pick 1 game out of that list to attack speaks volumes.

You can be obtuse and flippant all you like, the simple fact us you've got the same amount of evidence to back your claim up as I have mine.

The difference is, I have provided some circumstantial evidence to back my claim up.

And FTR HotS was a specific giveaway with a 950 & 960, all the others were for 970+ and Rise is being given away with 970+. The fact you could only pick 1 game out of that list to attack speaks volumes.

Can you provide proof I wasn't abducted by aliens last night? Therefore, GameWorks

Can you provide proof I wasn't abducted by aliens last night? Therefore, GameWorks

And there you go, when all other avenues are exhausted the retreating debater resorts to personal attacks and dim humour to cover the fact he has no reasonable response to the argument laid out in front of him.

And there you go, when all other avenues are exhausted the retreating debater resorts to personal attacks and dim humour to cover the fact he has no reasonable response to the argument laid out in front of him.

In fairness, you had no argument.

Are you saying I wasn't abducted by aliens last night? Do you have proof of that?

Lets not forget that this is a console game(notably AMD is the only presence in consoles) being ported to PC.  How, or why would gameworks even enter the picture in any meaningful way?  The devs would actually have to do extra work to frack over 20% of their potential customers.  I don't know about you or the devs, but I'm a fan of doing as little as possible.

So that's a no on the betting then?

Lets not forget that this is a console game(notably AMD is the only presence in consoles) being ported to PC.  How, or why would gameworks even enter the picture in any meaningful way?  The devs would actually have to do extra work to frack over 20% of their potential customers.  I don't know about you or the devs, but I'm a fan of doing as little as possible.

Well in all fairness, Witcher 3 only had GameWorks on the PC. In fact all GameWorks titles, only had GameWorks on pc. It doesn't exist on console.

Gameworks is a middleware API designed specifically for developers to be able to use easily. By accounts it's not at all hard to implement in games. Doing it well is an entirely different matter however.

War Thunder

Heroes Of The Storm

TW3

FC4

The Crew

Borderlands TPS

Watch Dogs

All the following were made before the games were released. Where is Tomb Raider? Oh, and MGSV isn't a GameWorks game, so yes, there's precedent, and it even goes back further than that. Sounds to me like you just got into PC gaming last year or something.

• 2 weeks later...

rise-of-the-tomb-raider-geforce-gtx-bund

Oh, what's that I see in the bottom right corner? Might it be a TWIMTBP logo?

So how exactly are you guys gonna give me my free game?

There's even reports the game will use a brand new form of Ambient Occlusion (VXAO) which is Nvidia Maxwell specific.

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-vxao-to-be-featured-in-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-heres-what-we-know/

rise-of-the-tomb-raider-geforce-gtx-bund

Oh, what's that I see in the bottom right corner? Might it be a TWIMTBP logo?

So how exactly are you guys gonna give me my free game?

There's even reports the game will use a brand new form of Ambient Occlusion (VXAO) which is Nvidia Maxwell specific.

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-vxao-to-be-featured-in-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-heres-what-we-know/

That is the general mistake people seem to make: they confuse twimtbp with game works. The former is their game sponsor motto, very similar to AMD's gaming evolved motto. The latter is a graphical effects api consisting of several proprietary black boxed gaming effects, either based on physx (apex) or dx11 tessellation (at a performance crippling multiplier).

Rise of the tomb raider is not a gaming evolved title, but it's definitely not a gameworks title either. Like most gaming evolved title, this game is vendor agnostic, so it should run equally on both amd and nvidia.

It still uses tressfx, or rather pure hair, made in collaboration with amd (features on deus ex mankind divided too) as well as some other stuff. It might have nvidia collaborated effects too, but they are not gameworks.

Crystal dynamics and eidos Montreal don't use proprietary closed source effects, which is why they run so well on both graphics vendors, as they can collaborate on optimizing the code and thus performance with both amd and nvidia. That is impossible with gameworks due to the contracts and ways the code are accessed by the devs.

As for the voxel based ao, it's supposidly based on asynchronous compute, which should make it run far far better on amd cards.