Project Iceberg (Define S Hard Line Water Cooling System)

brycef9mm

So is this a copper radiator now or you still wanting galvanic corrosion?

Lol yes, I got a new copper radiator (XSPC EX360). As I mentioned in like the first post, custom loops are still pretty new to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Update #7

Sorry for the long delay in a update, I've been really busy here lately. But this update is another big one. I finally got the loop filled, leak tested, and then turned the computer on for first time xD IMG_6635.thumb.PNG.d7f3eebd50bee5446b631IMG_6636.thumb.PNG.af5f07733a258a9ccf537IMG_6637.thumb.PNG.3bf1f8a655b9c4daee474IMG_6638.thumb.PNG.e52660d8362f51b17f6d6IMG_6642.thumb.PNG.1b4514e2fbcab83ee13f3

Also I want to give a huge shout out to Fractal Design for being generous enough to support my build by providing me with their Newton R3 800W power supply.IMG_7045.thumb.JPG.3cd712cb36ed392aaf4c3IMG_7048.thumb.JPG.9197265455cfcead72403

So that's about it for this updtae, but this computer is far from done. I'm in the works of getting a 290X setup in this rig. Also for those wondering..... Yes, I know you cant use the Mayhems Aurora coolant for a long time, and I fully intend on converting to their pastel fluid very soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update #8 (Big Update)

Well I'm not the type of person to keep something the same for very long so I took pretty much this whole thing apart the other day :P. So what am I changing? First off I am ditching the 7950, and going for not 1, but 2 R9 290Xs... I know I said in the beginning of this log that I didn't want anything over the top....buuuut I kind of do now. Lol. So I got 2 XFX reference 290Xs and threw a couple of EK full cover water blocks on them. So before I did this I only had a single XSPC 360mm radiator since all I was running was a CPU, and a single 7950. Now with the addition of the new GPUs I was forced to get some more radiator space. So I'm keeping the 360mm in the front, and I purchased a EKWB thick 240mm for the top. I also bought some right angle fittings. I personally do not like the look of angled fittings, I'd prefer for the bend to be in the hard tubing, but with these new parts it was near impossible to do some of the bends in the acrylic. Next thing I did was puchase 16GBs more of Corsair Dominator Platinums so now i have 4 dims and 32GBs. Pointless, I know, but if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly xD. IMG_7772.thumb.JPG.8216b4906b278fbdb5404IMG_7773.thumb.JPG.d1b769aef4c4728a75240IMG_8083.thumb.JPG.91a07b8788079333ad261FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.9ac93a2f2907945Now for the things that I am currently working/ waiting on. I ordered a custom made power supply shroud like in my last build (R5), and I'm also waiting on my supplies for my sleeved cables. So lastly the thing I didn't really consider until now is my water pump. This whole build started off from me buying a eBay water cooling kit on an impulse. Since then EVERY water cooling part has been changed EXCEPT for the cheap water pump and the reservoir. The little SC600 eBay pump worked fine with the last configuration of this build, but now that I have another radiator and 2 GPU full cover blocks to go through, I doubt it will handle it, and if it does it probably wont be for very long. So I'm most likely going to upgrade to a XSPC Photon 270mm Res/D5 pump combo here very soon. 

Neat job mate! 

You and I are in the firsts of everything too, glad yours is turning out well. 

And kind of Fractal for supplying you with their PSU :). Maybe my next mod I'll seek a sponsor. 

12 minutes ago, Micdeez said:

Neat job mate! 

You and I are in the firsts of everything too, glad yours is turning out well. 

And kind of Fractal for supplying you with their PSU :). Maybe my next mod I'll seek a sponsor. 

Thanks man, but after seeing your build I feel embarrassed! That is incredible! And yeah, I've only seen a handful of builds like mine in a Define S. But I'm especially digging that top piece you made to cover the off-center holes above the radiator. I'm considering doing that myself. Since I added that 240mm rad to the top its gonna bother me. I personally have my PC on the floor so I always see it from above, and that would look great.

48 minutes ago, brycef9mm said:

Thanks man, but after seeing your build I feel embarrassed! That is incredible! And yeah, I've only seen a handful of builds like mine in a Define S. But I'm especially digging that top piece you made to cover the off-center holes above the radiator. I'm considering doing that myself. Since I added that 240mm rad to the top its gonna bother me. I personally have my PC on the floor so I always see it from above, and that would look great.

You are welcome, and thanks we both have the same desire to build a clean system so all is well :)

The acrylic piece was pretty expensive TBH. Don't know if acrylic fabrication is expensive where you are, or if you can make it yourself, but it does make the top neater that's for sure. Have you set up your 240 rad as exhaust or intake? Sorry work blocks images so I can't see.

20 minutes ago, Micdeez said:

You are welcome, and thanks we both have the same desire to build a clean system so all is well :)

The acrylic piece was pretty expensive TBH. Don't know if acrylic fabrication is expensive where you are, or if you can make it yourself, but it does make the top neater that's for sure. Have you set up your 240 rad as exhaust or intake? Sorry work blocks images so I can't see.

Not really sure how much it'd cost to make it now that i think of it. I'm definitely going to do some looking around though. And i set my 240 as an intake. Thinking about changing that though since the 360 is also an intake and then I'd only have 1 exhaust with 5 intakes. But I'm hoping that my temps are low enough to allow me to turn the fan speed down so I'll have equal intake and exhaust airflow.

I think set the 240 as exhaust, mine is set up that way for top rad. I believe you would still get balanced air flow. Up to you though. 

I had my top rad set as intake prior, and holding my hand in the case I noticed it felt warmer. As exhaust, it feels cooler to me internally. 

4 minutes ago, Micdeez said:

I think set the 240 as exhaust, mine is set up that way for top rad. I believe you would still get balanced air flow. Up to you though. 

I had my top rad set as intake prior, and holding my hand in the case I noticed it felt warmer. As exhaust, it feels cooler to me internally. 

Yeah that makes sense, I'll probably do that. What fans are you using an your radiators? Just curios because I currently have Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions, and 2 of the 5 are actually making this annoying/strange clicking noise. I probably just got a bad batch, but I'm looking for other options right now.

1 hour ago, brycef9mm said:

Yeah that makes sense, I'll probably do that. What fans are you using an your radiators? Just curios because I currently have Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions, and 2 of the 5 are actually making this annoying/strange clicking noise. I probably just got a bad batch, but I'm looking for other options right now.

I have the exact fans! Mine are whisper quiet no issues. Can you RMA the broken ones back?

i initially had the EK Vardar F4, but didn't like them as they were noisier. 

21 minutes ago, Micdeez said:

I have the exact fans! Mine are whisper quiet no issues. Can you RMA the broken ones back?

i initially had the EK Vardar F4, but didn't like them as they were noisier. 

Haven't tried doing an RMA yet. But I probably will. I've had like 7 total (from other builds) and never had an issue until this build. They might have gotten damaged in shipping, I'm not sure.