Just got a Logitech G910 Keyboard... Anyone else have it?

So, I happened by my local Best Buy store today (a friend was taking his Asus laptop in for service, YET AGAIN) and decided to check out the keyboard section. Now, I must admit that I have been in the market for a new keyboard for some time now, and this isn't just a "childish whim" kind of purchase for me, though really, who spends this kind of money on a whim? Anyway, they had the G910, the Corsair K70, and the Razer Chroma. I sat there playing with the keystroke actions on all of them and found that there is a clear difference between the three. They also had a Thermaltake RGB keyboard, but not on display, so I cannot say whether that one felt like one of these three.

I have been looking to get a mechanical keyboard, but ALSO maintain some level of sound sanity when I am typing, especially considering that I work in a small room and don't want to wake the roommates up at odd hours of the night with a string of heavy clacks. To that end, the G910 was the clear winner. While the Corsair seemed slightly quieter than the Razer, they were both just too loud. To top the sound issue off, the Razer action seemed to feel "cheap." I'm not really sure what they have done, but it definitely feels like an inferior product as far as the tactile feedback is concerned. The Corsair felt really good, but actually... Not as good as the Logitech (to me.) I have to admit, these Romer switches are pretty amazing.

The lighting is phenomenal! There is virtually no bleed behind and around the keys, and the brightness and uniformity of the light coverage is simply miles ahead of the other two display models, with the Corsair leaking light out of the base like it is supposed to satisfy a small child sleeping in the next room, as a nightlight. Really, Corsair, you should do something about that, because I can imagine that would be quite obnoxious when doing anything in the dark. All of these things made my choice pretty clear, and I went ahead and took a G910 home.

So far, so good... Just... The software is STILL lacking features that I would love to have. Linus did his review over a YEAR ago, and not much has improved in that time. In fact, after doing some research, I have discovered that Logitech did finally come out with more traditional key-caps (which I WILL be ordering, because the odd shape of some of these keys is pretty jarring on your fingers during longer typing sessions, like this post.) That is just about all they have done though. When we are discussing a $180 (US) keyboard, that is pretty shameful. The more traditional keys are also a $40 EXTRA that you have to purchase just to make the keyboard practical enough for daily use. Thankfully, it was $40 off today for some sale, so I won't really be out much once I order those keys next week.

Spectacular key switches!

Wonderful tactile feedback for people used to run-of-the-mill rubber-dome keyboards!

Amazing lighting quality!

HORRIBLE key-caps!

I will actually do a proper review once I have the other keys and a lot more time using it, but ultimately, I am more interested right now in hearing if some creative person has created some alternative lighting control software for the Logitech keyboards. Essentially, the color cycling and wave patterns look pretty cool and are great for showing off the keyboard, but they are quite distracting when you are actually trying to concentrate on something more serious than Facebook. I would love the ability to make individual keys cycle, rather than the entire keyboard. I would like a solid back-light for the keyboard itself, and go through the RGB spectrum on the Logitech "G" logo and G910 badge-plate. If anyone knows of a solution to help me get this done, please let me know. It's not a deal-breaker for the keyboard, but it is an annoying limitation to the software.

~Cynical~

I actually like the keycaps but you will get used to it sooner or later although you might make many mistakers while typing. I got it for 100$ and I love it, I would've chosen corsair because it looks less bulky and less gamer but this was cheaper at the time and well worth my 100$. Hope you enjoy it.

I actually like the keycaps but you will get used to it sooner or later although you might make many mistakers while typing. I got it for 100$ and I love it, I would've chosen corsair because it looks less bulky and less gamer but this was cheaper at the time and well worth my 100$. Hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, I have been making a lot more mistakes than I normally do... A LOT! lol.

We'll see about getting used to the shape. I'm not all that confident to be honest. I have a kind of "slidy" style to my typing, with very little vertical motion, so the feeling of running across these keys is uncomfortable to say the least. It's almost like they listened to some novice engineer right before releasing it to the public and never did any focus-group testing to see if people actually wanted or liked these things.

~Cynical~

Yeah, I have been making a lot more mistakes than I normally do... A LOT! lol.

We'll see about getting used to the shape. I'm not all that confident to be honest. I have a kind of "slidy" style to my typing, with very little vertical motion, so the feeling of running across these keys is uncomfortable to say the least. It's almost like they listened to some novice engineer right before releasing it to the public and never did any focus-group testing to see if people actually wanted or liked these things.

yeah i feel you, i made at least 3 errors while writing this down write now, the lighting is amazing doe!!

Logitech made a regular keycap set that you can buy: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/romer-g-keycap-kit

Do note that this is your only option for alternative keycaps, as the Romer G switches are not compatible with Cherry MX keycaps.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Logitech made a regular keycap set that you can buy: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/romer-g-keycap-kit

Do note that this is your only option for alternative keycaps, as the Romer G switches are not compatible with Cherry MX keycaps.

Yeah, I noticed those and plan on ordering them just to make typing a better overall experience, but I was hoping there was a company out there that started making Romer key caps.

~Cynical~

Yeah, I noticed those and plan on ordering them just to make typing a better overall experience, but I was hoping there was a company out there that started making Romer key caps.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Those are exclusive to Logitech right now and there's only 2 keyboards out for it. The same is true for The SteelSeries QS1 switch.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

I have it and I really like it. It deserves more recognition. 

Don't really know what to put here.

I love the romer Gs I have to say they're probably my favorite switches currently for both typing and gaming. I sadly can't stand the rest of the board design... A personal preference thing is that the board is massive. Playing shooters with It drives me crazy, I'm constantly running into it with my mouse. The keycaps, while I don't find them actually too bad for gaming or even short messages or in-game chat, are probably one of the most over-executed design implementations. It's kind of like they thought, "These are great caps for gaming guys!!!!" "Well are they good at anything else?" "Ummmmm nope! but it is a gaming board" "Oh okay they'll be alright then". I feel the exact same convo was had about the wrist rest as well. 

All that aside, the build quality is actually pretty good. The plastic feels like "the good stuff". The media controls and windows lock were well placed. The software, though maybe not the most customizable, is very user friendly and does everything I could ever want it to do. Using arx for monitoring gpu and cpu temperatures was also a nice little option.

Unfortunately I did throw my g910 in the closet after giving it a good 2 1/2 month trial.

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker

I love the romer Gs I have to say they're probably my favorite switches currently for both typing and gaming. I sadly can't stand the rest of the board design... A personal preference thing is that the board is massive. Playing shooters with It drives me crazy, I'm constantly running into it with my mouse. The keycaps, while I don't find them actually too bad for gaming or even short messages or in-game chat, are probably one of the most over-executed design implementations. It's kind of like they thought, "These are great caps for gaming guys!!!!" "Well are they good at anything else?" "Ummmmm nope! but it is a gaming board" "Oh okay they'll be alright then". I feel the exact same convo was had about the wrist rest as well. 

All that aside, the build quality is actually pretty good. The plastic feels like "the good stuff". The media controls and windows lock were well placed. The software, though maybe not the most customizable, is very user friendly and does everything I could ever want it to do. Using arx for monitoring gpu and cpu temperatures was also a nice little option.

Unfortunately I did throw my g910 in the closet after giving it a good 2 1/2 month trial.

Pretty much on the same page with you on it right now. I did adjust to having a slightly wider "footprint" on the desk pretty quick though, and while the software is easy to use, I would still like to see a few more options in it.

What did you end up replacing it with?

Have you tired the new normal style keycaps on it yet?

How much ya want for it? (I have a friend who would love one of these, lol)

~Cynical~

Pretty much on the same page with you on it right now. I did adjust to having a slightly wider "footprint" on the desk pretty quick though, and while the software is easy to use, I would still like to see a few more options in it.

What did you end up replacing it with?

Have you tired the new normal style keycaps on it yet?

How much ya want for it? (I have a friend who would love one of these, lol)

Well I'm actually a bit of a peripheral hoarder so I'll probably hang on to it for the moment. lol. I went back actually to switching between the k65 (another I'm currently "Trying out") and Ducky mini yoth with cherry browns for my gaming setup which has been pretty well my daily driver for a year and a half or so now. 

I honestly really want to grab the g410 all except for the dumb wrist rest again it... Other than that it comes with normal keycaps and is tkl without all the macros, ect. which is a definite plus for me.

But yeah other than playing around with the g410 at a store I haven't gotten to try the other keycaps.

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker

I am going to be ordering the regular keycaps, so I can let you know if that makes any kind of difference...

Interestingly, after a really annoying discussion about the supposed advantages of gaming series mice over the "workstation" mice from Logitech in another thread... My Performance MX started to have some clicking issues, where it would register a double-click every time I clicked, I decided 4 years was long enough and grabbed a new one from Best Buy. The G700s was on sale for $70, and I really didn't want to spend another $100 on a mouse this time, so I picked it up. The additional "DPI" is (like I said in the thread) largely unnoticable, and the grip is quite annoying. I'm not really sure why Logitech thinks "gaming" needs to be synonymous with "annoying" but it is what it is. I find the sandpaper grip as obnoxious as the keycaps on the G910 keyboard, so I will likely be returning it for the MX Master very soon.

I love Logitech, but find almost all of their gaming series to be disappointing on some level. It really is quite a shame.

~Cynical~