Don't buy be quiet! tower air coolers for Skylake systems!

The mounting hardware included with be quiet coolers applies too much pressure due to stiffer brackets. This causes the PCB of the CPUs to bend!

I would recommend getting a intel boxed cooler (not included with K-series unlocked chips)

My Processor (6700k) got bent while I installed the mainboard assembly with the cooler(be quiet dark rock advanced c1) into my case, so if you already bought a be quiet cooler, don't hold the assembly by the cooler or install the cooler after you put the motherboard into the case.

why would anyone who wants a aftermarket cooler buy the bare minimum for not overheating stock cooler?

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Normally it wouldn't bend under that amount of pressure, you must have done something wrong ain't it?

For this reason I will be going Haswell or waiting for Broadwell-E / Skylake-E. Intel get your shit together and sort this out.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

why would anyone who wants a aftermarket cooler buy the bare minimum for not overheating stock cooler?

because you don't want your cpu to get bent. I haven't seen a manufacturer that specifically adressed this problem or a test of coolers that are safe to use.

I've read some reports about this. the last time I read it was still about be quiet coolers. this isn't the first time i'm afraid

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

The mounting hardware included with be quiet coolers applies too much pressure due to stiffer brackets. This causes the PCB of the CPUs to bend!

I would recommend getting a intel boxed cooler (not included with K-series unlocked chips)

My Processor (6700k) got bent while I installed the mainboard assembly with the cooler(be quiet dark rock advanced c1) into my case, so if you already bought a be quiet cooler, don't hold the assembly by the cooler or install the cooler after you put the motherboard into the case.

old news is old.

but never thought it would be BeQuiet coolers :/

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Normally it wouldn't bend under that amount of pressure, you must have done something wrong ain't it?

A lot of cooling manufacturers thought the mounting was simply the same as previous generations, because the 1151 socket does not differ from the older 1150 and 1155 sockets in terms of hole positioning and chip size, so they didn't ship additional hardware. No one thought that the thinner PCB of the Processor needed special mounting hardware.(or the marketing department said additional hardware is expensive, just say it is compatible on our website and in the manual)

old news is old.

but never thought it would be BeQuiet coolers :/

didn't think that too, and now i have a dead chip

didn't think that too, and now i have a dead chip

Are you able to get it replaced or is that $420 (ayyyy) gone?

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I think intel didn't cover these damages, but if the PCB isn't cracked he could straighten it a bit and try to get a new one...

Damn, that sucks.... that's bad for Intel too.. since it is their problem... so I think they should at least replace bent processors.

Old Rig

I always thought this was more a problem with Scythe coolers.

Do BeQuiet coolers have springs on the screws that prevent too high mounting pressure?

Perhaps this is a good reason to like AMD's ZIF-PGA sockets more.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I'm going with Noctua D15 with 6700k - haven't constructed yet but from what I hear about large heatsinks on Skylakes is very unsettling.  Anyone else using Noctua D15 w/ Skylakes?

Are you able to get it replaced or is that $420 (ayyyy) gone?

be quiet does not replace bent chips based on the information I got so far. At least I bought my processor before the huge price increase, I 'only' payed $350

I always thought this was more a problem with Scythe coolers.

Do BeQuiet coolers have springs on the screws that prevent too high mounting pressure?

Perhaps this is a good reason to like AMD's ZIF-PGA sockets more.

be quiet uses a metal bracket as a (sort of not really) spring

I think intel didn't cover these damages, but if the PCB isn't cracked he could straighten it a bit and try to get a new one...

It is not really possible to bend back these multi-layer pcbs, unfortunately.

be quiet does not replace bent chips based on the information I got so far. At least I bought my processor before the huge price increase, I 'only' payed $350

dang, but that's still $350 :o

Old Rig