laptop ssd upgrade

Hey! I have an hp envy dv6. Its been past down to me now that my parents got a new laptop. I want to take out the standard optical drive and use a drive caddy to put an ssd in its place. My question is is this possible? if so can I use any ssd like an 840 pro or do I have to use a certain set of ssd's. and is it a reliable fix now that I have my normal hdd and a fast ssd in the laptop instead of an optical drive.

thanks and have a nice day,

Sribeast21

I personally have NEVER heard of this. HOWEVER, if you can mod the drive bay and actually got it to all work, then his would be really cool. Try to keep the cover as that is really needed. 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Sure, I guess it can work, because both are connected using SATA. Just make sure that the laptop is modern enough that it uses SATA connections and the same mounting system as any new laptop today.

maybe it can, i can't remember but linus did something to a macbook in a commercial.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

maybe it can, i can't remember but linus did something to a macbook in a commercial.

Switch the hdd for an ssd. Not a laptop mod..

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

You should be able to do it.. I did a quick search of "hp envy 15r drive caddy" and came up with this, which should work.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/221265597413?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

As far as I know any type of SSD will work as long at it's the correct height (9.5mm, 7mm, etc.. this one is 9.5mm).. I would probably install the SSD into your main drive bay, and then move the HDD to the secondary bay, because the secondary bay may be SATA 2 while the primary bay may be SATA 3 (not sure about that, though)..

While I personally have never used an optical drive caddy, I know a few people that have, and it's worked fine for them all..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I personally have NEVER heard of this. HOWEVER, if you can mod the drive bay and actually got it to all work, then his would be really cool. Try to keep the cover as that is really needed. 

I've seen this a few times, particularly in mac book pros. You can buy a special mount for the SSD that fits in the optical drive bay.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Any standard 2.5" ssd will work fine. What laptop are you installing it in?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Any standard 2.5" ssd will work fine. What laptop are you installing it in?

my laptop is a dv6

Sorry for anyone that posted but my laptop is actually a hp dv6. I was thinking of another hp model when I posted. my laptop is a dv6

Sorry for anyone that posted but my laptop is actually a hp dv6. I was thinking of another hp model when I posted. my laptop is a dv6

Well what I posted before still holds true. You'll just need a slightly different caddy because the dv6 is tray-loading while the envy 15 is slot-loading..

Searching for "HP DV6 optical drive caddy" should give you the result you need. 

Like so: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-DV3-DV4-DV5-DV6-DV7-DV8-12-7mm-2nd-SATA-Hard-Dirve-Caddy-Bay-/190752682482#vi-content

(for that matter, it anyone else with a different laptop looks at this thread, searching for "[your laptop model name here] optical drive caddy" should give you what you want)

Well what I posted before still holds true. You'll just need a slightly different caddy because the dv6 is tray-loading while the envy 15 is slot-loading..

Like so: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-DV3-DV4-DV5-DV6-DV7-DV8-12-7mm-2nd-SATA-Hard-Dirve-Caddy-Bay-/190752682482#vi-content

(for that matter, it anyone else with a different laptop looks at this thread, searching for "[your laptop model name here] optical drive caddy" should give you what you want)

That's damn cheap for a caddy like that!

Doesn't really matter in this case. Any standard 12.7mm hdd caddy will work just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Caddy-E6400-E6500-E6410/dp/B0090EGHHW/ref=sr_1_59?ie=UTF8&qid=1377991648&sr=8-59&keywords=hdd+caddy

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Doesn't really matter in this case. Any standard 12.7mm hdd caddy will work just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Caddy-E6400-E6500-E6410/dp/B0090EGHHW/ref=sr_1_59?ie=UTF8&qid=1377991648&sr=8-59&keywords=hdd+caddy

But he want it to match the rest of it so the one made for his laptop should be fine

But he want it to match the rest of it so the one made for his laptop should be fine

It's literally the same thing.

I know but c'mon! Let him have a decent looking laptop, right? Looks matter too! ( and that's why I can't have a girlfriend, cause looks matter too...)

They're also the same price, so I see no reason to get the generic one.. The one made for his laptop has the cover plate to fill the gap in the side of the chassis when he takes the ODD out.

I know but c'mon! Let him have a decent looking laptop, right? Looks matter too! ( and that's why I can't have a girlfriend, cause looks matter too...)

They're also the same price, so I see no reason to get the generic one.. The one made for his laptop has the cover plate to fill the gap in the side of the chassis when he takes the ODD out.

Not disagreeing--just saying any generic caddy would work.