Asus gl552vw won't turn after replacing HDD with intel SSD

kosta27
Go to solution Solved by kosta27,

I just checked the Asus forums and found out its an asus problem with no fix atm. Thanks anyway everyone, happy new year :)

Laptop: Asus GL552VW-DH71

SSD: Intel 730 480GB and/or Intel 320 40GB 

I've been trying to replace my stock 1TB HDD with a intel 730 480GB(for speed).  Whenever I do so, the computer refuses to turn on. I press the power button and nothing happens.  I've also tried an intel 320 sdd 40GB, and that didn't work either.

I've disabled fast boot, secure boot, and have enabled CSM w/ PXE OpRom.

The strange thing is that this problem only happens with new drives, if I have no drive installed it goes straight to the bios. The original hdd still works and allows the device to boot, its only when a new drive is introduced where the problem occurs.

Because you didn't install an OS onto the SSD?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I'm trying to install ubuntu, so I plugged in my usb(in order to boot from it) but laptop won't turn on even with install drive inserted.

-snip-

It doesn't turn on at all? No BIOS screen / lights? It should at least load BIOS.

Maybe with the original hard drive in, go to BIOS and set priority to the USB drive / turn off secure boot?

you might have bricked the board

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It doesn't turn on at all? No BIOS screen / lights? It should at least load BIOS.

Maybe with the original hard drive in, go to BIOS and set priority to the USB drive / turn off secure boot?

With the original hdd in, it can turn on and boot. I've already disabled secure boot and fast boot. Also made usb first priority too.

you might have bricked the board

No, the laptop still works when stock hdd is installed

No, the laptop still works when stock hdd is installed

Make sure SSD is properly connected?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Wait, WHAT?

How can it do NOTHING but work fine with none/old drive?

You must have not told us something. Are you sure your boot order is correct? Try booting with the bootable USB installed but the old HDD. If you boot into the HDD, your boot order is wrong, if it boots the USB, something is really fked up.

Here are the bios settings. I know it sounds weird that no drive or stock hdd are the only options that allow the laptop to start.  The problem only happens when an SSD is added to the equation.

post-34872-0-32634100-1451575377_thumb.j

post-34872-0-13336500-1451575381_thumb.j

post-34872-0-61410300-1451575384_thumb.j

post-34872-0-12577300-1451575388_thumb.j

post-34872-0-24586200-1451575391_thumb.j

post-34872-0-68161600-1451575394_thumb.j

-snip-

Have you tried the SSD in another PC (if you have one?) to make sure it works?

Does the laptop start up with no hard drive at all (Should complain about no OS drive)? Never mind, saw above that you tried it already.

Have you tried the SSD in another PC (if you have one?) to make sure it works?

The intel 730 ssd was originally from my main rig, which I pulled it from

Do you have an image of the boot order?

If you can get into BIOS with the SSD, post both HDD and SSD boot order.

I think that the SSD HAS an empty MBR and that the BIOS sees it, so it lets the SSD boot. But with nothing in there, you get a black screen. No other idea so far.

I just checked the Asus forums and found out its an asus problem with no fix atm. Thanks anyway everyone, happy new year :)

• 1 year later...

Yes, this is STILL a thing.  My original HGST drive went bad (violently I might add...over 800 bad sectors).  I picked up a WD laptop 1TB 5400 RPM drive, and the system will not power on.  In all my years, I have never seen such a thing.  Also, the "power requirement" thing is BS...this requires less power, and lower speed than the original HDD.

• 1 month later...

Same issue with the same laptop. Original hdd failed and got a replacement 5k 1tb drive. Nothing happens when trying to power up the laptop with the replacement. No lights nor fans. Removing it is the only way to get the laptop to power back up. Doesn't even post. Really wish there was a fix for this problem

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to keep an old thread alive but I hope this helps someone. I went with the Crucial MX300 (275GB SATA) M.2 SSD which is recognized in BIOS. Secure boot disabled and CSM enabled (couldn't get windows install to begin without this). Waiting for windows install to complete but not worried about that part. Shame Asus was not clear on this particular laptop as many others have bought incompatible M.2 SSDs. My model specifically is the GL552VW-DH71. I thought the slot was for PCIE since it had 1 notch but the 2 notch SATA SSD is recognized and appears to work.