Does WiFi signal strength equal WiFi signal quality?

wicknot
Go to solution Solved by JamesThresher,

Signal Quality has nothing to do with signal strength and everything to do with Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR).

To use the music analogy that skulbringer mentioned, If you turn up the volume on a piece of music, you may be able to hear it better, but not if there were 20 other songs playing all at the same at the same volume. However you would be able to hear the music just fine even on a very low volume if everything else around you was completely silent.

the Greater the SNR, the greater the quality and therefore the performance that you (should) get. Although there are other factors that can affect this.

If I have a stronger WiFi signal in location A than in location B, does that automatically mean that my WiFi performance is better in location A?

Or, is it more complicated than that?

(I am assuming the same network traffic, trying to pull the same info, etc)

chad

Basically yes.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Never trust windows on these kinda things, technically this should be the case but it isnt always in practice.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Basically yes.

tmPCdXv.png

yes it will

nH8cZP3.png

Not always.

j35T9ys.png

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

WiFi signal strength is one factor that helps you to get more bandwidth. So yes it helps. Just remember it's not the only factor. For example if the main bottleneck in location B is already the Internet connection and not the wi-fi then moving to A may not help.

It's like asking whether big engines give more horsepower. Yes they do in general; but there are other factors.

Well, its basically like sound, you can turn the volume higher and higher, and it might be hearable further away from the source, but the actual quality might be compromised.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

There are a lot of variables dealing with wifi signals.

5 bars does not guarantee the highest speeds over one with a single bar.

tmPCdXv.png

nH8cZP3.png

j35T9ys.png

Seriously my favorite post I've seen on this forum. I lost it xD

And yes, while there may be some extenuating circumstances, you'll basically always be getting the best speeds when you have a strong signal. Keeping a strong, reliable connection is also important if you plan to be doing anything on the internet for an extended period of time.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

You can see your link speed by right clicking on the wireless network you are connected to and then press "status" (in Android you hold down on the WiFi you are connected to and then press "modify network"). It's worth noting that there is no standard for what signal strength you have to have to get X number of bars. So if your phone device gets 4 bars, and your laptop gets 3 bars, they might actually have the same signal strength.

Generally, higher signal strength means higher speeds, but 3 bars might have the same speed as 4 bars, or 4 bars having the same speed as 5 bars, and so on.

Signal Quality has nothing to do with signal strength and everything to do with Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR).

To use the music analogy that skulbringer mentioned, If you turn up the volume on a piece of music, you may be able to hear it better, but not if there were 20 other songs playing all at the same at the same volume. However you would be able to hear the music just fine even on a very low volume if everything else around you was completely silent.

the Greater the SNR, the greater the quality and therefore the performance that you (should) get. Although there are other factors that can affect this.

Current Rig (Ongoing Build)

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res