6600k 48c max temp 4.7ghz

Hello Guys

My friend has recently built his new pc. One of the components was i5 6600k which he decided to overclock with my help. We have reached 4.7ghz with a core voltage of 1.42. Now you might be thinking that vcore is high and that cpu is crispy hot. But well this is not the case. Under stress test his cpu reaches 48 Celsius MAX, It just doesnt make any sense, if i were to apply 1.42v and 4.7ghz on a different cpu, it would most likely melt or be in high 80s. Could a sensor be showing wrong temp ? We used aida64, msi afterburner and realtemp. All showing max temp of roughly 48. He is using the corsair h110i gtx. Do you think it would be safe to reach 1.5v and attempt breaking the 5ghz barrier or would it be too risky and we should just leave it?  I will post images as soon as he comes back from work.

What's the temp on the socket?

AMD FX8350 Black OC 4.5ghz--NZXT Kraken X31--ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0--MSI R9 380 4G--Corsair RM750--Corsair 16GB Vengeance

Logitech G300--Roccat ISKU FX--Logitech Z623--HyperX Cloud II

Hello Guys

My friend has recently built his new pc. One of the components was i5 6600k which he decided to overclock with my help. We have reached 4.7ghz with a core voltage of 1.42. Now you might be thinking that vcore is high and that cpu is crispy hot. But well this is not the case. Under stress test his cpu reaches 48 Celsius MAX, It just doesnt make any sense, if i were to apply 1.42v and 4.7ghz on a different cpu, it would most likely melt or be in high 80s. Could a sensor be showing wrong temp ? We used aida64, msi afterburner and realtemp. All showing max temp of roughly 48. He is using the corsair h110i gtx. Do you think it would be safe to reach 1.5v and attempt breaking the 5ghz barrier or would it be too risky and we should just leave it?  I will post images as soon as he comes back from work.

Put in Prime95 on the small FTT. Let's see if it keeps up this chilly....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Hello Guys

Put it under AVX2 or FMA3 load. I bet you any amount of money it reaches thermal junction within 10 minutes. If your stress test is not stressful, then it's not a stress test, is it?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Oh god...Prime95 almost melted my cpu once :D

AMD FX8350 Black OC 4.5ghz--NZXT Kraken X31--ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0--MSI R9 380 4G--Corsair RM750--Corsair 16GB Vengeance

What's the temp on the socket?

I didnt check, hes on his way, ill post all temps in a second

That is a brutal test. I saw my i7-4790k draw 260W using small FFT. 

I didnt check, hes on his way, ill post all temps in a second

Then you could check if the core temp and the socket temp have big differences. If so you could have a faulty sensor.

Oh god...Prime95 almost melted my cpu once :D

That is a brutal test. I saw my i7-4790k draw 260W using small FFT. 

Been running Prime95 since early Phenom days, i have never killed a single CPU. Prime95 does not kill CPU's. People thinking their absurdly high OC is capable of handling real AVX2/FMA3 loads do. Prime95 and Linpack can be VERY efficient math. Efficient math causes heat. Real heat, not that fake "cinebench 24/7 stable" heat. You cannot call your system 100% stable if you cannot handle heavy math. You can probably get away with 90% stable, but claiming 100% stable is not possible without that 27 hour prime validation (Takes 27 hours to complete every FFT length). Then again, 8 hours is all you need for 99% stability, so that extra 1% is just OCN's way of messing with OCD people. 

A) Are you using liquid nitrogen. B ) If not, then that's completely BS

Welcome to the world of modern overclocking. Where real stress tests are too stressful. Soon we will start seeing "5ghz minesweeper stable". When people show off these OC's, i ask for the Linpack or Prime95 validation. If i don't see it, i just brush it off as pseudo-stable.

Been running Prime95 since early Phenom days, i have never killed a single CPU. Prime95 does not kill CPU's. People thinking their absurdly high OC is capable of handling real AVX2/FMA3 loads do. Prime95 and Linpack can be VERY efficient math. Efficient math causes heat. Real heat, not that fake "cinebench 24/7 stable" heat. You cannot call your system 100% stable if you cannot handle heavy math. You can probably get away with 90% stable, but claiming 100% stable is not possible without that 27 hour prime validation (Takes 27 hours to complete every FFT length). Then again, 8 hours is all you need for 99% stability, so that extra 1% is just OCN's way of messing with OCD people. 

My CPU is stable at 88°C drawing 240-260W running small FFT Prime 95 @ 5GHz, 1.35v vcore. I winced when I watched that though. Cooling is a bit overkill on a dedicated loop for motherboard and CPU, 480mm rad with 4xSP120 quiet fans (I'm OCD about symmetry sometimes).

Welcome to the world of modern overclocking. Where real stress tests are too stressful. Soon we will start seeing "5ghz minesweeper stable". When people show off these OC's, i ask for the Linpack or Prime95 validation. If i don't see it, i just brush it off as pseudo-stable.

I got 4.6Ghz at 1.2V before and ran Aida64 (Don't question) for a few minutes, like 8:58 minutes or something like that and thought it was stable. So I went on thinking it was good, got into Dying Light, played like 4 hours of it and then it crashed. I could've boasted about managing to keep that stable but no. I AM NOT A LIAR, LIKE SOME PEOPLE *WINK FAKEN WINK*

Prime95-showing laptop manufactures to be retarded since its first version. (Yes it can demonstrate how bad the design of some laptops actually is-looking at Asus, HP and Toshiba-never got a chance to see a Dell or Acer laptop combust under it).

My CPU is stable at 88°C drawing 240-260W running small FFT Prime 95 @ 5GHz, 1.35v vcore. I winced when I watched that though. Cooling is a bit overkill on a dedicated loop for motherboard and CPU, 480mm rad with 4xSP120 quiet fans (I'm OCD about symmetry sometimes).

Ok. Now imagine the power an FX 9590 would draw, since under a load such as Cinebench it will draw around 220W. I'd expect a blown PSU unless its 850W+, and the graphics card+ components only draw around 200-300W.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Prime95-showing laptop manufactures to be retarded since its first version. (Yes it can demonstrate how bad the design of some laptops actually is-looking at Asus, HP and Toshiba-never got a chance to see a Dell or Acer laptop combust under it).

Ok. Now imagine the power an FX 9590 would draw, since under a load such as Cinebench it will draw around 220W. I'd expect a blown PSU unless its 850W+, and the graphics card+ components only draw around 200-300W.

AX1200i as per sig. 

AX1200i as per sig. 

That'd would handle anything AMD could throw at it.

PMSL

except 3 furyx in crossfire :P

It use to handle a Xfire 290X setup with a FX-8350, but alas... I saw the light. 

It use to handle a Xfire 290X setup with a FX-8350, but alas... I saw the light. 

Well that 4790K does do things better than your 8350 would have when you'd have eventually gone for 5GHz with it. But this is what makes me worried about those with weak PSU/coolers (Seidon 120V in my case):

post-155575-0-61860500-1451510164.png

Tl;DR most CPU stress testers aren't real stress testers.

PMSL

Well that 4790K does do things better than your 8350 would have when you'd have eventually gone for 5GHz with it. But this is what makes me worried about those with weak PSU/coolers (Seidon 120V in my case):

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Tl;DR most CPU stress testers aren't real stress testers.

I'll give it another spin on Prime 95 small FFT over the weekend for you guys & post results. 

Ok so we run additional testing to check if it was faulty temp sensors with hwmonitor and this time we got this error. 

http://imgur.com/M4VBB3J

I would post directly on here but i get this error "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Ok so we run additional testing to check if it was faulty temp sensors with hwmonitor and this time we got this error.

Means OC is unstable. Example: the answer of a particular calculation was supposed to be 1, but you got 2, or the rounding error was supposed to be below a certain threshold but ended up being above it. It wasn't so bad to the point of making the machine crash; regardless, there is some small instability, the test detected it, and thus it stopped and gave you the message you are seeing.

http://imgur.com/M4VBB3J

I would post directly on here but i get this error "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

There are 2 links, one is the "short" and the other is the "direct", with a .extension name at the end of it. Use that second one, and you'll be able to post images.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Means OC is unstable. Example: the answer of a particular calculation was supposed to be 1, but you got 2, or the rounding error was supposed to be below a certain threshold but ended up being above it. It wasn't so bad to the point of making the machine crash; regardless, there is some small instability, the test detected it, and thus it stopped and gave you the message you are seeing.

There are 2 links, one is the "short" and the other is the "direct", with a .extension name at the end of it. Use that second one, and you'll be able to post images

Hmm but now we have run asus realbench for 10 min and it seems stable. Nevermind...... bsod:  Buffer overflow. But look at the temps, at 100% they are low for 4.7ghz and 1.42vBlaNwm8.jpg

Hmm but now we have run asus realbench for 10 min and it seems stable. Nevermind...... bsod:  Buffer overflow. But look at the temps, at 100% they are low for 4.7ghz and 1.42v=

They are low because they are not under real stress. I know the concept might seem scary to you, but give Prime95 a short try. http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Unlike Haswell, Prime v28 and Linpack are no longer much hotter than other tests. They are still the hottest tests around, but it's not quite as ridiculous anymore. For example, Prime v27.9 is similar in temperature to v28.7, As the settings chart notes, I detected temperature fluctuations in Linpack, IBT, and XTU stress even though the load on the CPU still read 100%.

Just like in Haswell, note how XTU stress is cooler than XTU bench, and AIDA64 varies in temperature wildly based on the settings checked. Without a way to loop the test, applications like XTU bench and Cinebench are not viable stress tests. As expected, custom x264 at 16 threads is hotter than the 4 thread setting, and using more memory for Linpack causes a hotter test. With the Haswell temperature chart I had 8gb of ram to use, and for this chart here I had 16gb.

Prime95 will not kill Skylake CPU's. Your board will handle voltage regulations, and it will stop you before any harm is done. Give it a shot, and show me those temps afterwards. 

Hmm but now we have run asus realbench for 10 min and it seems stable. Nevermind...... bsod:  Buffer overflow. But look at the temps, at 100% they are low for 4.7ghz and 1.42v

Here's how instability works:

1. If it happens once, JUST ONCE, then it's OVER. You hardware is unstable. Period. Doesn't matter if other tests said it was fine, doesn't matter if temps are cool, doesn't matter if voltage is high / frequency is low; so long as it has happened once, that is enough for you to be 100% sure that the current OC is unstable.
  2. If you've never seen it happen.... then there's nothing you can say about it. Who knows, you might just have a BSOD on the very next second, or discover a new stress test that reveals a hidden instability (happened to me, I had a 1505mhz GPU stable after MONTHS of testing..... until a newer app came in and I had to dial all the way back to 1430mhz). And that's why I hate the words "100% stable" or "rock solid". You can only know if you are unstable; you can't know you are stable, though. You can assume so, but can't be fully sure of it.