Help - Router Firmware page issues

Flashie
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

According to whatsmyip.org, its the exact same IP Address that is showing up under my brother's ethernet profile

It doesn't matter. Local IPs and WAN IPs are completely separate. Him setting his local IP to the same as the WAN IP isn't going to make his connection faster or better in any way, as data packets are going to have to go through NAT anyway. If anything, it's more likely to cause him problems. 

I would advise him to just change it to DHCP, or a static IP other than the WAN IP, as if he screenshots something with his local IP, people are also going to have your WAN IP. Showing your local IP is normally not a problem, but if it is the same as the WAN IP, it can be dangerous. 

My brother has set his Static IP as my PC's external IP on the router's firmware page

My router shows my IP as my private IP (192.168.xxx) when im on my lan profile, but when im on my brothers, it shows my external IP as his static IP. My IP is DHCP and not static according to the router.

What on earth is this, what can he do with this - how can i stop it - what can i do?

Also, if i hadn't set my TCP/IPv4 settings a few minutes before, i would be getting an error saying "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration" as "Non Fixed"

Please help!!!!

You forgot to say the router model.

Not sure why you/he would set your IP as the static IP in the router because you mainly want the WAN IP for the router with is assigned just by plugging it in.

Are you guy trying to set up QoS or some other feature in the router?....pictures would be nice.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I don't think I even quite understand? Your brother is trying to use your external IP as an IP on his computer in the internal network?

Theoretically it shouldn't be possible without some tinkering, as the router is still your gateway after all.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

You forgot to say the router model.

Not sure why you/he would set your IP as the static IP in the router because you mainly want the WAN IP for the router with is assigned just by plugging it in.

Are you guy trying to set up QoS or some other feature in the router?....pictures would be nice.

Theres this rivalry his got between me and him, always trying to get the best connection, evens if it means crapping the other ones connection out.

Router is a TG589vn V3

32ca9647fc.PNG

Me:

d967dca4cb.PNG

I don't think I even quite understand? Your brother is trying to use your external IP as an IP on his computer in the internal network?

Theoretically it shouldn't be possible without some tinkering, as the router is still your gateway after all.

not trying - is according to our firmware page

According to whatsmyip.org, its the exact same IP Address that is showing up under my brother's ethernet profile

Factory reset the router and change the password. Tell him to grow up and stop being selfish.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

It doesn't matter. Local IPs and WAN IPs are completely separate. Him setting his local IP to the same as the WAN IP isn't going to make his connection faster or better in any way, as data packets are going to have to go through NAT anyway. If anything, it's more likely to cause him problems. 

I would advise him to just change it to DHCP, or a static IP other than the WAN IP, as if he screenshots something with his local IP, people are also going to have your WAN IP. Showing your local IP is normally not a problem, but if it is the same as the WAN IP, it can be dangerous. 

Factory reset the router and change the password. Tell him to grow up and stop being selfish.

He'll do the same

Yup, thats what his got now, i was referring to it as the external IP

I've marked this post as solved, but i'd like to know what i can do about it - this is the DCHP configuration page for the router

b87971a0d1.PNG

Yup, thats what his got now, i was referring to it as the external IP

Yep, it doesn't really matter in terms of speed or reliability, and there's nothing special that he can do with it. The only issue is with security, as he may accidentally reveal your WAN IP. However if someone wants to attack your network, it's really not hard to get your WAN IP anyway, so it's not something you should really worry about. 

His address is just the same as any other local address, it just happens to be the same as the WAN IP. I use static IPs for a few devices that never change, but it's for logical structuring, as there's no difference in speed. (My desktop is at 192.168.2.22 because it's easy to remember, for example)

I've marked this post as solved, but i'd like to know what i can do about it - this is the DCHP configuration page for the router

-snip-

There's not much you can do about it, as the IP is set on his computer, not the router. You could sift around the settings to see if you can disallow static IPs, but not many routers support that option. 

You could try tuning off the router for a few minutes, then turning it back on. Depending on your ISP and connection type, you may get a new WAN IP. 

You could try to tell him that using the same IP as the WAN IP is potentially dangerous, but by the sounds of things, he'll ignore you. 

There's not much you can do about it, as the IP is set on his computer, not the router. You could sift around the settings to see if you can disallow static IPs, but not many routers support that option. 

You could try tuning off the router for a few minutes, then turning it back on. Depending on your ISP and connection type, you may get a new WAN IP. 

You could try to tell him that using the same IP as the WAN IP is potentially dangerous, but by the sounds of things, he'll ignore you. 

While i got you here, ive wanted to know - Does ethernet port 1 get priority over ethernet port 2, 3 and 4 in a router?

While i got you here, ive wanted to know - Does ethernet port 1 get priority over ethernet port 2, 3 and 4 in a router?

No, not unless it has a mixture of 100BASE-T and 1000BASE-T ports (which is uncommon), or if it is a managed switch that has been set up to specifically prefer certain ports. Neither of those situations is likely in your case. 

Logically, it seems like port 1 should be the best, but it really makes no difference, especially with unmanaged switches (what the router's switching will probably be). I still find myself putting priority devices in the first ports, just because #1 normally means the best for other things, but isn't the case for networking. 

No, not unless it has a mixture of 100BASE-T and 1000BASE-T ports (which is uncommon), or if it is a managed switch that has been set up to specifically prefer certain ports. Neither of those situations is likely in your case. 

Logically, it seems like port 1 should be the best, but it really makes no difference, especially with unmanaged switches (what the router's switching will probably be). I still find myself putting priority devices in the first ports, just because #1 normally means the best for other things, but isn't the case for networking. 

Thanks for all the help :)

Theres this rivalry his got between me and him, always trying to get the best connection, evens if it means crapping the other ones connection out.

Router is a TG589vn V3

---gone--

Rivalry you say....well you don't need to worry about any IP address really, just look for the QoS(quality of service) page and add the ports for your games matched to your current IP and BAM!..you will have a faster connections than he or his configurations won't bother you.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Rivalry you say....well you don't need to worry about any IP address really, just look for the QoS(quality of service) page and add the ports for your games matched to your current IP and BAM!..you will have a faster connections than he or his configurations won't bother you.

Router doesnt support QoS, already considered that a while back