can I use air flow fans for my radiator?

Hey everyone,

So i'm looking to upgrade my rig with some new fans, and have been looking at the Corsair SP and AF series. However Corsair doesn't seem to make any SP 140mm (non-LED) fans. How bad is the performance hit using 140 mm AF fans as opposed to 140 mm SP fans.

Thanks in advance,
Hodge

I think you can. I once saw a rad with three of those performance editions on it.

AMD FX8350 Black OC 4.5ghz--NZXT Kraken X31--ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0--MSI R9 380 4G--Corsair RM750--Corsair 16GB Vengeance

Logitech G300--Roccat ISKU FX--Logitech Z623--HyperX Cloud II

You can, but will it be good

No.

Will it be worthy of being call an upgrade

No.

Is it a downgrade

Most probably

Might add this later...

How bad would the performance hit be exactly? And yeah I don't wanna spend that much for noctua's nor do I really like the aesthetics of them :/

if you dont like the beige-brown noctua you could easy go with the ltt edition in black-orange

or maybe scythe if you prefer some black themed fans

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

yes you can use airflow fans on a radiator and they work fine

no, you shouldnt use corsair fans, their are very loud and have average performance

look for something from bequiet or noctua instead

fractal design makes some good 140mm fans too

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah I still think noctua's are too expensive :/

However I've found that the SP fan makes 1.17mm/h2o @1440rpm @ 29.3dBA, while the the AF fan makes .84mm/h2o @ 1150rpm @ 24dBA

I really don't think it seems like that big of a hit granted the lower rpm and noise output. Thoughts??

Yeah I still think noctua's are too expensive :/

However I've found that the SP fan makes 1.17mm/h2o @1440rpm @ 29.3dBA, while the the AF fan makes .84mm/h2o @ 1150rpm @ 24dBA

I really don't think it seems like that big of a hit granted the lower rpm and noise output. Thoughts??

All specs are - at best - under some sort of idealized conditions.  A chief one of those being an absence of any real resistance to flow.  Add in any resistance and you can assume those numbers will change.

As another general principle you can assume that the fan with the higher SP rating will demonstrate less reduction in flow from any given resistance.

Practically speaking this means AF type fans, with their low SP ratings do not do much more than make noise when run directly against a radiator.

Other brands of fans to consider are Phanteks SPs or XPs, and Bitfenix Spectre Pros.

One other general rule - when evaluating the claims of fan manufacturers look at power consumption.  For safety reasons this is something they generally will not inflate, and since moving air requires work, it is a much better approximation of what the fan is actually going to do.

How bad would the performance hit be exactly? And yeah I don't wanna spend that much for noctua's nor do I really like the aesthetics of them :/

It would help to mention which fans you're replacing. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

All specs are - at best - under some sort of idealized conditions.  A chief one of those being an absence of any real resistance to flow.  Add in any resistance and you can assume those numbers will change.

As another general principle you can assume that the fan with the higher SP rating will demonstrate less reduction in flow from any given resistance.

Practically speaking this means AF type fans, with their low SP ratings do not do much more than make noise when run directly against a radiator.

Other brands of fans to consider are Phanteks SPs or XPs, and Bitfenix Spectre Pros.

One other general rule - when evaluating the claims of fan manufacturers look at power consumption.  For safety reasons this is something they generally will not inflate, and since moving air requires work, it is a much better approximation of what the fan is actually going to do.

Yeah i think I've mostly decided that I'll use the Thermaltake riing fans (https://www.pccasegear.com/products/31303) instead of the corsair fans on my radiator as they're SP fans as opposed to the AF 140 mm fans i was considering (they also look pretty cool)

EDIT: also thanks for the long and detailed post, helps a lot and it doesn't go unnoticed :)

It would help to mention which fans you're replacing. 

The fans i was replacing were just the stock fans on my NZXT Kraken x61... nothing wrong with the way they perform i just wanted to spice up the aesthetics of my pc a little :)

The fans i was replacing were just the stock fans on my NZXT Kraken x61... nothing wrong with the way they perform i just wanted to spice up the aesthetics of my pc a little :)

Well that's your answer right there. Look for some that fit the aesthetic you are going for and make sure they have decent performance.

As @Enderman said, you can use "airflow" fans with radiators. They might not perform quite as well as Nocuta "static pressure" fans, but the impact won't be particularly much.

What kind of fans do you want? What colour? Do you want LEDs or not? Tell us this and we can find some fans that you will like that also perform well :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Well that's your answer right there. Look for some that fit the aesthetic you are going for and make sure they have decent performance.

As @Enderman said, you can use "airflow" fans with radiators. They might not perform quite as well as Nocuta "static pressure" fans, but the impact won't be particularly much.

What kind of fans do you want? What colour? Do you want LEDs or not? Tell us this and we can find some fans that you will like that also perform well :)

Yeah I'm looking at getting some thermaltake riing white LED fans to go with my nzxt hue+, just not sure how the white LED's will look with the hue+ LED's... I've also considered the rgb riing fans, just not sure if it's worth it or not :)

Yes, as long as they are the same size of fans that the radiator supports but you should not use air flow fans for a radiator or heatsink as the fans aren't designed to move air through surfaces that cause a high air resistance. Use static pressure optimised fans instead.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5