Pros and Cons of Upgrading to win 10 from 8.1

logan

So iv gotten used to 8.1....but win 10 is the bigger better thing...but iv tried once...and when i did....my internet wouldn't connect...no matter what i did....so i had to go back...also frame rates seem to be better in 10...also directx 12 is for 10..i think...but anyways....can people list reasons for me to go to 10...also i don't remember if upgrading gets rid of my stuff....like games and stuff....if not...then i be more inclined to go ahead and do it...also the win 10 privacy thing

Edited by GoodBytes
Remove wild and useless formatting

THAT MOMENT YOU DISASSEMBLE YOUR COMPUTER....AND REASSEMBLE IT ....JUST SO SENPAI WILL NOTICE YOU

Upgrading keeps your programs and files so long as they are Windows 10 compatible. You can run a checker to see what will be lost etc.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Windows 10 is better than 8.1 in every single way. Although maybe there aren't any drivers for your Wifi hardware and that's whats stopping you from connecting to the internet.

so windows 10 wouldn't have a driver for my motherboard ? (asus sabertooth z87)

THAT MOMENT YOU DISASSEMBLE YOUR COMPUTER....AND REASSEMBLE IT ....JUST SO SENPAI WILL NOTICE YOU

Apart from DirectX 12, I don't think there is a pro to moving from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. And Windows 8.1 will receive Vulkan support in the new year, so there's likely not really going to be an advantage to DirectX 12.

Windows 10 is a repackaging of Windows 7 and 8 that comes with built-in ads, data collection, reduced control over visual settings, reduced control over update settings, a more limited start menu, and slightly less application and gaming performance than Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

Windows 10 is a monetized version of Windows 7 & 8, with plenty of revenue benefit for Microsoft. For the end user, I see it as, overall, a downgrade from Windows 7 or 8(.1).

There are Windows 10 drivers for your motherboard, though.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

so windows 10 wouldn't have a driver for my motherboard ? (asus sabertooth z87)

Possibly. You could not connect to the internet because you were missing your drivers for your wireless card or Ethernet card (which ever you use for your internet/network connection needs). It just happened that Microsoft doesn't have the drivers for that hardware. Go on your motherboard website, and download the affected hardware drivers from there, install them, and you are good to go (use another PC to get it, or get them before hand, so that you can install it after you upgraded to Windows 10)

If you have no Windows 10 drivers, what you can try, is get Windows 7/8 drivers, and run the setup. If it says "incompatible OS" or something like that line, simply run the setup under compatibility mode (right-click on the setup file > Properties > Go to under "Compatibility" tab, and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", and pick the OS that the driver is for (Windows 7 or Windows 8), click on OK), and now try.

If it still complaints, open Device Manager and force install the drivers from there.

Apart from DirectX 12, I don't think there is a pro to moving from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. And Windows 8.1 will receive Vulkan support in the new year, so there's likely not really going to be an advantage to DirectX 12.

They are many advantage of upgrading to Windows 10. Windows 10 has a nice set of new features.

Also DirectX 12 games doesn't run on Windows 8.1 or 7. OP needs Windows 10, if he is interested in playing supported games under Direct X 12 mode.

Windows 10 is a repackaging of Windows 7 and 8 that comes with built-in ads, data collection, reduced control over visual settings, reduced control over update settings, a more limited start menu, and slightly less application and gaming performance than Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

FALSE! Go to bed.

Windows 10 is a monetized version of Windows 7 & 8, with plenty of revenue benefit for Microsoft. For the end user, I see it as, overall, a downgrade from Windows 7 or 8(.1).

How so?

They are many advantage of upgrading to Windows 10. Windows 10 has a nice set of new features.

Also DirectX 12 games doesn't run on Windows 8.1 or 7. OP needs Windows 10, if he is interested in playing supported games under Direct X 12 mode.

Windows 10 has some new minor features, some bloat, one sort-of major feature, while also having a reduction of some major features. Windows 7 and 8 are getting Vulkan, which does the same thing as DirectX 12, so a person doesn't necessarily need DirectX 12. A person needs Windows 10 if they want to play a game that supports DirectX 12 in DirectX 12 mode. But that game might also support Vulkan, and then a person could play that game using that mode and get the same performance improvement. And even without either, the same game will still play on previous Windows versions.

FALSE! Go to bed.

Perhaps you want to play down unattractive details to encourage Windows 10 uptake, but I find it odd that you would call that whole statement false. Which part of it do you find to be false? Each individual factor I mentioned is true. And that Windows 10 is a repackaging of Windows 7 / 8... well, it mostly is, apart from minor differences. It's like the ad / data collection / Windows-store supported version of Windows. Microsoft are making money simply by having people use Windows 10, and that's why it's being offered for free. They've turned Windows into a Google-esque data collection machine.

If a person wants to use Windows 10, great for them. But these aspects of it which I mention are genuine aspects of it, and so I'm letting people know, particularly when they ask specifically what are the pros and cons between one Windows OS and Windows 10. These are pros / cons, and they are very notable ones. The person who asks for information gets to choose what they think of these things.

How so?

How is Windows 10 monetized, or how is Windows 10 a downgrade from Windows 7 / 8? Some ways in which Windows 10 is a downgrade from Windows 7 / 8 include: "reduced control over visual settings, reduced control over update settings, a more limited start menu, and slightly less application and gaming performance than Windows 8.1 and Windows 7."

Some ways in which Windows 10 is monetized includes built-in ads, the Windows store being built in, Groove Music being built in, collection of usage data (which MS sells to its "partners") including everything that's entered into Cortana, and the readable contents of emails and documents which pass through Microsoft's servers. And Microsoft's privacy statement doesn't promise Windows users that there will be any limits to Microsoft's reach, and is not even a policy, but simply a statement of notification that data collection will occur, including, but not limited to what is written within Microsoft's privacy statement.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Windows 10 has some new minor features, some bloat, one sort-of major feature, while also having a reduction of some major features.

Reduction of features? Like what?

Windows 7 and 8 are getting Vulkan, which does the same thing as DirectX 12, so a person doesn't necessarily need DirectX 12. A person needs Windows 10 if they want to play a game that supports DirectX 12 in DirectX 12 mode. But that game might also support Vulkan, and then a person could play that game using that mode and get the same performance improvement. And even without either, the same game will still play on previous Windows versions.

Windows 95 is getting Vulkan. Why don't use this?

Also Vulkan does not do the same thing as DirectX 12, it does similar things. They both are 2 different school of thought at it's foundation, and can't do the same thing.

A game won't support both DirectX and Vulkan. Ok well it TECHNICALLY can, if the studio doesn't mind doubling the developing time, and also cost, because as well all know big publishers are oh so generous with the money they make. /s

And regardless, it is not a reason NOT to upgrade to the latest version of Windows, ESPECIALLY that it is free. You want to screw over people from getting their free upgrade, because you like Linux based OS, and you think it will fit everyones need. Well, it doesn't.

Perhaps you want to play down unattractive details to encourage Windows 10 uptake, but I find it odd that you would call that whole statement false. Which part of it do you find to be false? Each individual factor I mentioned is true. And that Windows 10 is a repackaging of Windows 7 / 8... well, it mostly is, apart from minor differences. It's like the ad / data collection / Windows-store supported version of Windows. Microsoft are making money simply by having people use Windows 10, and that's why it's being offered for free. They've turned Windows into a Google-esque data collection machine.

Oh so wrong you are. But you are right, to a minor extent, that you are lowing way over proportion.

Your whole statement that you said was false.

Windows 10 is not a repackaged Windows 7 / 8.. what none sense. Did you even use the OS? Let alone look at screen shots? Or maybe you did, you went "Has a desktop!, Has a task bar!.... :shock::shock:...I knew it!!!!... Windows 95 repackaged!!!!!! AHA! You won't get me Microsoft! You won't get me!"

Windows 10 regroups a bunch of Microsoft services together: Bing, OneDrive, Azure and its Store service. But this is not new (beside Azure), Windows 8 has the same thing. Yet you are fine with Windows 8, how strange? Again, highlighting that you want to screw over people with poor advice, just because you have a hatred on Windows 10 for some reason.

-> Windows 10 connects to Bing for web searches when you use the Start Menu search box, much like Windows 8 (and can be enabled in Windows 7, but not working great, you can see it was a feature that didn't make it). So yes, web searches make its search engine better, and allows Microsoft to make more revenue. Cortana assist in reaching that goal. Another Bing feature is if you enabled Spotlight. Bing has this thing called "Picture of the day". On the main Bing website, you have this, usually, really nice image capture by a professional photograph. Microsoft made arrangement so that they can use/distribute photographer pictures as lock screen picture, once Spotlight feature is enabled. The picture being picked is based on ones taste (that is based on you voting if you like it or not, something you can do by clicking or tapping the heart icon on the lock screen). In the future, every now and then, Microsoft will push a Windows App store showcased app ad instead of displaying a photographer picture. The idea is that Microsoft can pay back the license fees for the photographs. This option is disabled by default, and new to Windows 10.

-> OneDrive is integrated to the OS. This encourage people to get Office 365 subscription for more space, or get additional storage space. This is how Microsoft makes its money there.

-> Azure. You can connect Windows 10 Pro in a an Azure domain, instead of using an on-site Windows Server for domain joining.

-> Store service. Microsoft had this store front for many years that was always hidden. Now, it is properly made as a 1 location, visible place to buy/rent movies, buy music/albums, and buy apps. This is not new from Windows 8.

-> Grove Music. Well, Microsoft is not really pushing its music subscription service, but there the app, and you have ads when you go on the music section under the store. This is similar to Windows 8 with XBox Music, the old name of the service.

The only revenue that Microsoft gets, is that Candy Crush saga (and depending on where you live some other app(s)), which isn't actually installed. It will only install it if you click on it. Unpin it, and it is gone forever (well you need to go to the App store and get it manually).

So you have 1 thing, and that is not even installed by default. A minor annoyance if you don't care about it.

If a person wants to use Windows 10, great for them.

I want people to use what best fit their needs, to get the best experience possible, and enjoy their computers.

You say that Vulkan runs on Windows 7/8 (even thought it actually run on any version of Windows, as long as Nvidia/AMD distributes the drivers and support the version of Windows). So why not use Windows 10, where he gets BOTH DirectX 12 and Vulkan. Windows 10 is free. Just have both! Enjoy!

No.. you want him to buy a game, on his fancy computer he was excited about, and realize he can't push his hardware because the game he wanted to play can't be enjoyed to its full extent. Just because, you like Linux based OS more.

But these aspects of it which I mention are genuine aspects of it, and so I'm letting people know, particularly when they ask specifically what are the pros and cons between one Windows OS and Windows 10. These are pros / cons, and they are very notable ones. The person who asks for information gets to choose what they think of these things.

How is Windows 10 monetized, or how is Windows 10 a downgrade from Windows 7 / 8? Some ways in which Windows 10 is a downgrade from Windows 7 / 8 include: "reduced control over visual settings, reduced control over update settings, a more limited start menu, and slightly less application and gaming performance than Windows 8.1 and Windows 7."

-> Reduce control over visual settings? What?

-> True, you are forced to install the latest updates that you'll install anyway.

-> Start menu is more powerful. You can pin apps on the side, organize it all you want, scale the start menu bigger or smaller, pin folders, quickly jump to sections (helpful when your start menu is filled with programs). Searching for files or folders with the start menu gives out more detailed results to help you find what you are looking for, and not limited to a list view of file names.

-> Less applications? everything is there.

-> Gaming performance is not reduced in Windows 10. It is the same as Windows 8.1. Update your drivers.

Some ways in which Windows 10 is monetized includes built-in ads,

Where? Beside the points I listed above.

The Windows store being built in, Groove Music being built in, collection of usage data (which MS sells to its "partners") including everything that's entered into Cortana, and the readable contents of emails and documents which pass through Microsoft's servers. And Microsoft's privacy statement doesn't promise Windows users that there will be any limits to Microsoft's reach, and is not even a policy, but simply a statement of notification that data collection will occur, including, but not limited to what is written within Microsoft's privacy statement.

Windows Store has been introduced back in Vista days, as Windows Marketplace.

image18.png

Grove Music, is a high-DPI and touch friendly music player, that can also handle FLAC music file beside MP3's, WMA's and all that. Remember that some people have tablets, convertible system, and/or Windows Phone. So, the app needs to be there.

And no. You miss read the privacy policy. You are combining everything into 1. Windows 10 has multiple services integrated. Bing is like Google. When you use Bing, data is collected and assembled at market data that is sold to companies. That is how Google makes its money. You are a company, you have this idea of product, you want to know if it will sell in Canada and U.S, you go to Google/Microsoft, and you buy market data from them. You discover that Canadian and American wont' be interesting in that product, but people of age 18-25 in Europe are very much interested. Great, you know can make your product a reality, you know what age group to target your marketing material, and you know where to sell it, so that you don't spend millions and even billions and see it as a huge failure.

Microsoft also has partners that access some data. For example, in some regions, the store payment system is not directly managed by Microsoft. If Microsoft servers are under max load (or under maintenance), OneDrive files might be sync to a third party rented for a moment server, until their server load reduces and can transport the data to the correct server. All this data re-routing is how the web works. Facebook, Netflix, Google, all uses it to maintain continuous services with everyone, and makes it harder for DDoSers to take down a service. For example, XBox Live servers were not down this holiday season, despite attacks being once again being made. I do know also, that Azure servers aren't DDoSed as well. It seams to be some fashion thing now, a trend it seems, probably to get media attention, but it is failing so far. And with more secure systems with newer version of Windows (and genuine, and people getting free A/V and checking for malware), it is harder to have access to zombie computers to execute DDoS attacks.

Also, you can't mix Microsoft having your mails, and OneDrive files with actually reading them. They need to be able to provide you the service. That is like going to the Postal Service and say: YOU deliver my mail! But.... you cannot touch directly or indirectly any mail that is for me, nor can you see anything. So how is the Postal Service able to deliver you your mail? DO you call your provider and say: "Yea, you know what.. From now on, I want all my phone calls to not touch any of your centers.". You wont' be able to reach unless you connect dedicated lines to everyone.

That response you've given is utter nonsense on just about every level. You are trying to go around in circles just so you can use the same words again while pretending that answers haven't already been established, and are misrepresenting what I said, producing bizarre logical fallacies for response to a forum member's straight-forward question - just like another forum member commented using a meme in another thread in reaction to your Windows 10 promoting: "logical fallacies, logical fallacies everywhere". You are conniving.

Conniving:

to cooperate secretly; conspire (often followed by with):
They connived to take over the business.
to avoid noticing something that one is expected to oppose or condemn; give aid to wrongdoing by forbearing to act or speak (usually followed by at):
The policeman connived at traffic violations.
to be indulgent toward something others oppose or criticize (usually followed by at):
to connive at childlike exaggerations.

And in no small way.

People trust this site. The question is, is LTT foremost supposed to be a source for information that is truthful, or information which LTT is sponsored to push?  For all things there is an ordering of considerations, so which consideration is the perogative on LTT? I think there is a difference between what I see as that answer, and what you see as that answer. You would otherwise not respond to my accurate and informative response to this forum member's question with an attempt to misdirect, downplay, and reframe information in so verbose, rationalizing, and misleading a manner.

Everything you responded with has its extended answer, but I'm not going to waste energy going over what we've gone over so many times before in depth, when you clearly are not simply trying to get people to use what is most appropriate for them, but are trying to get them to think that Windows 10 is what's most appropriate for them, reworking all factual details into appearing as though their meaning is "use Windows 10". I'll give just one item from your above effort the extended response which exists for just about everything you've said.

You said: "Also, you can't mix Microsoft having your mails, and OneDrive files with actually reading them. They need to be able to provide you the service. "

The Microsoft privacy statement is not telling you that the 1's and 0's of your emails and documents are going to be read by their data transfer technology to replicate their states from your PC or inbox to their destination PC or inbox. The Microsoft privacy statement is informing people that the readable contents of your documents and emails that pass through their servers will be intelligently scanned, certain things recognized, and portions of it used outside of your chosen purpose of storing or delivering that email or document to a specific recipient. It will be used for selling information to advertisers and interest groups who pay for that information, law enforcement efforts, and whatever else Microsoft unilaterally deems to be in their personal interest.

As I said, the Microsoft privacy statement is not a promise of limits, safeguards, or even a statement on policy by Microsoft, but is just a general statement so that Microsoft can nonchalantly say "we told you we were doing this" if anyone takes issue with it. That has already been Microsoft's brushing-aside response to people's privacy concerns regarding their Windows 10 OS, saying "only the things that a person chooses are collected", which is conniving, like your response - in that it ignores that collection is turned on by default, that it isn't explained to the Windows user the extent and purpose of their collection through services like One Drive and Outlook, and that a person cannot truthfully turn all of it off, and even when all of the presented setting are disabled, Windows 10 continues to collect data.

When you frame the reading of emails and documents mentioned in Microsoft's privacy statement as the replication of the data for the sake of transmitting their documents and emails to their user-chosen destinations, that is not the collection of the "contents" of those emails and documents that Microsoft is saying it is collecting. And so when you try to downplay and obfuscate that understanding, you are misrepresenting, and you are conniving.

If you don't agree with or trust the privacy policy of a Microsoft service, then don't use it.

Windows 10 doesn't go hack into your gmail, yahoo, or your own hosted in house mail system, to scan you.

Every service, including this website, will co-operate with government following the local regional laws.

This has nothing to do with Windows 10, same with OneDrive. Don't like it? Don't use it! But you can use Windows 10. That is my point I am trying to convey.

But the general rule of thumb, is that if something is online, consider public. If you have private information don't put it online. At least encrypt it (and please don't use Windows encryption, that is like only there for basic encryption for like a normal thief not accessing your data, not a team that really want your data because it is a serious question of national security, so the hell with it if it cost millions to decrypt).

You say that I am Conniving, you are the one pushing for Windows failure, so that everyone switched to Linux based OS. Not understanding that if Linux based OS fitted people needs now, it would be switch to. It isn't.

I am sure that more games run in some fashion under Linux based OS than does under MacOS, yet in the home PC market, Linux has less market share than MacOS.

I have not denied anything providing false information on anything I said. I present the truth out of the best of my understanding, and available information. If you speculate, than that is not my problem. I am not here to give advice on speculation, because MAYBE, PERHAPS, there is a slim chance of, so it can't be trusted. Everything has a level of trust. Say what you will about open source code, the Linux distro that you use, did you compile it yourself? No?! So how do you know for sure nothing else was injected, or the source code you see isn't a match? Did you check line by line with the binaries of the OS decompiled? What is the compiler you use inject stuff? Anything is possible, trust is needed, including the community doing a good job.

If the OP is interesting to upgrade to Windows 10, which he/she is, hence ask what is the ups and downs of it, then saying stay with Windows XP pretty much, or switch to Linux, is not the best answer for him/her.