Design me a desk?

mbryant

I NEEEED a new desk for when my gf and I move out, on my current desk which is about 24" deep and 48" wide I have well a crap load of things, I like a tidy desk with a lot of room, things I plan to always have on the surface are my blue yeti, my 34" ultrawide as well as my 27" 16:9 (which is on an arm ATM), a picture of my niece, my gf's drawing tablet, keyboard and mouse (duh) a pen cup and my wallet, keys and phone are generally on it when I'm home. So if some of you folks are skilled in sketchup I'd appreciate a mock up of possible lay outs or design. 

File 004

File 006

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Or learn how to use sketchup.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

I know that this mightjoin them together with some drawers (to replace legs) and use some legs be irrelevant or not helpful or whatever, but cant you just stick like 2 tabletops from Ikea together and use legs or cabinets to hold them up?

--

Edit: Trying not to come off as a jerk. It was just a suggestion.

Don't be fooled by the bottom line of my sig, that is just for my travels.

So you're telling me that Gaben is no God? Enough of your foolishness.

My hardware you ask? I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3217 Notebook... With an LG 25UM57.

Or learn how to use sketchup.

I do and I've tried, I'm no designer and I hate all of the ideas I come up with, thanks for making me feel dumb, cheers

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I know that this mightjoin them together with some drawers (to replace legs) and use some legs be irrelevant or not helpful or whatever, but cant you just stick like 2 tabletops from Ikea together and use legs or cabinets to hold them up?

ikea was and is the plan, I just wanted like a "cool" looking desk, which I guess is a strange request. I was going to use one drawer/cabinet for one side (or both) and then legs on the other. 

EDIT: you didn't come off as a jerk nor did I interpret it as such

ikea was and is the plan, I just wanted like a "cool" looking desk, which I guess is a strange request. I was going to use one drawer/cabinet for one side (or both) and then legs on the other. 

EDIT: you didn't come off as a jerk nor did I interpret it as such

Oh ok. That makes a lot of sense and thanks

Don't be fooled by the bottom line of my sig, that is just for my travels.

So you're telling me that Gaben is no God? Enough of your foolishness.

My hardware you ask? I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3217 Notebook... With an LG 25UM57.

This is what my desk looks like:

desk.png

May I? I mean... it's doesn't violate any copyright or anything right? I  was looking for a desk too and yours look like just what I need (with minor "plus" here and there of course)

May I? I mean... it's doesn't violate any copyright or anything right? I  was looking for a desk too and yours look like just what I need (with minor "plus" here and there of course)

Sure, by all means, you can use that picture any way you want.

--

Edit: Trying not to come off as a jerk. It was just a suggestion.

desk.png

Thank you all, unlike KRImSIN you have actually been helpful instead of rude. Also really like the design flexluthor

Thank you all, unlike KRImSIN you have actually been helpful instead of rude. Also really like the design flexluthor

No need to linger on it. That makes you a jerk as well.

desk.png

do you know much about design? I can't think of the right word, are you a "handy man" is sort of what I mean. I might want to see if that shelf could be divided into 3 sections with the left and right ones can rotate off to an angle (maybe on rails or something) I'd like my setup to be modular in a way because I like to change it from time to time 

do you know much about design? I can't think of the right word, are you a "handy man" is sort of what I mean. I might want to see if that shelf could be divided into 3 sections with the left and right ones can rotate off to an angle (maybe on rails or something) I'd like my setup to be modular in a way because I like to change it from time to time 

Unfortunately no, I only did the design in Maya and had my personal carpenter cut and assemble the plyboard to create the table (that's how incompetent I am in assembling it myself).

@zombiepixel posted a build log of a desk he's building (I already got permission to borrow the design :ph34r:)

Project Unstable Table Label Cable Fable

You can get inspiration from that and just tweak it a bit (longer tabletop, additional shelving, and w.e). The 1st post has a ref image of the possible finished product for an idea. 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I built a desk in one evening on a whim out of seven wood studs and a mitre saw. Not the most stable thing in the world but it works.

I use the Bob Ross method, I just build it "From muh heart".

Use yo' imagination, bruh.