Nikon or Canon for night photo?

Raghav Arya

which is best for speed and clearity ?

Definitely not a simple answer to give.  Are you planning to use long exposure photography technique, artificial lighting technique or boosting the ISO to capture photos at night or in low light?

If you are thinking about boosting the ISO, currently the Sony A7s II is the High ISO King.  But as I do not have experience with this camera myself, I am not able to give you a comparison of the High ISO noise pattern the camera might produce compared to other cameras.

Between Nikon and Canon, at High ISOs I prefer the noise pattern of the Nikon.  The Canon cameras I've used so far produces fixed pattern noise at High ISO that I do not like.  This is of course a personal preference and with some clever editing it can be taken care of in any camera system.

But for long exposure and artificial lighting technique, Canon, Sony and Nikon produces good cameras.  But I am biased towards Nikon because the cameras I own and use are Nikons with some of their fastest lenses and lighting systems.

Well, its not really as simple as that, depends on the budget

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I would say the 6D over something like a D610 or D750

A 6D won't make you happy at night, especially not because of the high noise floor.

so in full frame dslr 

which one is Nikon best around 2000$ ?

Including lenses or just the camera body?  You only have two choices for sub $2000 Nikon full frame cameras: the D610 and the D750, brand new that is.  Not used or refurbished.  If you are willing to buy second hand or refurbished there will be more choices.

And what kind of scene are you thinking of photographing at night?  The stars in the sky?  Doing night time portraits? What?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

2000$ Budget 

Nikon or Canon ?

D750. with a Sigma lens. Also, can you be more specific of what you want to do for "night photos"? 

I would say the 6D over something like a D610 or D750

are you serious? the Nikon D750 is way more superior than the Canon 6D (older, has less AF points, noise performance isn't that good) etc etc. The low light noise performance on the D750 is insane.

The Nikon D750 gets my vote.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Shooting night sky or night time portraits where you might,,, say,,, want to balance flash with ambient?

Night Sky doesn't really matter, because long exposures are needed and the noise is an inherent by product regardless of make and their "noise handling" which is little more than post processing of the data (seriously, switch it off or end up with mud).

Night time portraits on the other hand, flash cleans up a lot of noise but its a balance wanting faster shutter speed too to limit blur. At which point spend the money on a flash, and monopod, with a fast lens and get a much cheaper one capable of 3200>6400 iso which will suffice.
Personally cameras from the past 5 years seem to be on fairly level pegs around that iso range.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

Definitely not a simple answer to give.  Are you planning to use long exposure photography technique, artificial lighting technique or boosting the ISO to capture photos at night or in low light?

If you are thinking about boosting the ISO, currently the Sony A7s II is the High ISO King.  But as I do not have experience with this camera myself, I am not able to give you a comparison of the High ISO noise pattern the camera might produce compared to other cameras.

Between Nikon and Canon, at High ISOs I prefer the noise pattern of the Nikon.  The Canon cameras I've used so far produces fixed pattern noise at High ISO that I do not like.  This is of course a personal preference and with some clever editing it can be taken care of in any camera system.

But for long exposure and artificial lighting technique, Canon, Sony and Nikon produces good cameras.  But I am biased towards Nikon because the cameras I own and use are Nikons with some of their fastest lenses and lighting systems.

The A7S II's high ISO performance is ridiculously good, though. As much as I don't really want to bring DXOMark up, the rating the A7SII got was really high for ISO performance. On personal use, though, its pretty good.

Nikon D750 is the best night time dslr under $2000, no question. Does anyone know the best lense of landscape and night sky shooting with the d750 (around or under $600)?

Nikon D750 is the best night time dslr under $2000, no question. Does anyone know the best lense of landscape and night sky shooting with the d750 (around or under $600)?

You're going to be looking for a lens that has at least f/2.8 Aperture.

Here are a list of Full Frame lenses f/2.8 or faster for Nikon.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=274&setNs=p_PRICE_2|0&N=4288584247+4108103566+4108103537+4109120025&srtclk=sort

This is my favorite FF lens for astrophotography.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520635-USA/Nikon_2163_AF_S_Zoom_Nikkor_14_24mm.html

You're going to be looking for a lens that has at least f/2.8 Aperture.

Here are a list of Full Frame lenses f/2.8 or faster for Nikon.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=274&setNs=p_PRICE_2|0&N=4288584247+4108103566+4108103537+4109120025&srtclk=sort

This is my favorite FF lens for astrophotography.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520635-USA/Nikon_2163_AF_S_Zoom_Nikkor_14_24mm.html

Thanks! I'm new to photography and hope to learn and take some awesome outdoors shots.

• 3 weeks later...

Nikon typically has better sensors and high iso performance, but you also want to look at the lens ecosystem if you are going to spend allot on a dslr. Personally, i like the lenses canon offers as they have some great glass for not all that much. What i would do is try both systems and see which one feels better to you. If you want the best low light on the market and are willing to sacrifice a few megapixles, look into the sony a7s. its high iso and low light performance is only surpassed by the new a7s mkII.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz