Asus STXII Or Asus Phoebus ?

Dicehunter

As I'm quite a noob when it comes to audio stuff, What is the main difference between these 2 as I can't see anything that would make the STXII all that much better and worth roughly a £100 more.

STXII https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-xonar-essence-stx-ii-sc-021-as.html

Phoebus https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rog-xonar-phoebus-solo-7.1-pci-e-soundcard-sc-017-as.html

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

As I'm quite a noob when it comes to audio stuff, What is the main difference between these 2 as I can't see anything that would make the STXII all that much better and worth roughly a £100 more.

STXII https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-xonar-essence-stx-ii-sc-021-as.html

Phoebus https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rog-xonar-phoebus-solo-7.1-pci-e-soundcard-sc-017-as.html

Unless you're planning to use a 5.1/7.1 speakers setup, there's no point to either of these and better off with an external dac/amp. If you're looking to power the dt990, I wouldn't bother and just stick with the onboard.

Unless you're planning to use a 5.1/7.1 speakers setup, there's no point to either of these and better off with an external dac/amp. If you're looking to power the dt990, I wouldn't bother and just stick with the onboard.

The onboard is quite crap though and I can tell it's lacking in quite a few places and not doing these cans any favours.

I'm not keen on external solutions hence the either/or question :)

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

The onboard is quite crap though and I can tell it's lacking in quite a few places and not doing these cans any favours.

I'm not keen on external solutions hence the either/or question :)

Up to you, but if I have a $200~ budget I'd go for external solution and not waste time with sound cards. What's lacking with your onboard exactly?

Up to you, but if I have a $200~ budget I'd go for external solution and not waste time with sound cards. What's lacking with your onboard exactly?

It just sounds tinny, I've tried my 990's on a friends Phoebus and it sounded so much better but if I end up going the slightly higher end headphone route I thought the STXII would have be a better buy, Slight future proofing etc... ?

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

It just sounds tinny, I've tried my 990's on a friends Phoebus and it sounded so much better but if I end up going the slightly higher end headphone route I thought the STXII would have be a better buy, Slight future proofing etc... ?

It will do, but soundcards often have unnecessary features that no one who cares about fidelity should ever use, and I'm not a fan of having to deal with drivers. For future proofing, you're better off getting magni/modi stack or o2+odac from Massdrop. For sub $100, can't go wrong with smsl.

Get a Schiit Magni 2. If you're not getting noise/interference from your onboard, don't waste money on a DAC. An amp like the Magni will more than "future proof" your audio setup.

Get a Schiit Magni 2. If you're not getting noise/interference from your onboard, don't waste money on a DAC. An amp like the Magni will more than "future proof" your audio setup.

I shall look into it thank you.

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter