Hacker has my ip-address

Principis
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

He can DDOS you or tell very very roughly where you live. As in a radius of like 20KM

But just turn off your router and turn it back in like a couple minutes later, that should give you a new IP. Otherwise you can call your ISP to change it

My idiot brother clicked on a link some guy sent him and now he has our IP address...

What can he do with it? Also we have a business here.

figure out where u live

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

My idiot brother clicked on a link some guy sent him and now he has our IP address...

What can he do with it? Also we have a business here.

If your ip is a dynamic address, just spoof the mac address of your router to gain a new ip. If it is static, you are kinda screwed. The only thing the 'hacker' you speak of can do is ddos you. This 'hacker' is probably just a script kiddy.

My native language is C++

If you want to change your IP to just change it, Unplug your modem and router over night and plug it in the morning and you should be assigned a new IP

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

figure out where u live

You cant find the exact address based off of an ip address, you can only find the location of the ip block. So they could tell what city you live in, but thats pretty much it.

He can DDOS you or tell very very roughly where you live. As in a radius of like 20KM

But just turn off your router and turn it back in like a couple minutes later, that should give you a new IP. Otherwise you can call your ISP to change it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

that's if you have a dynamic IP i think thats what its called. my last ISP didn't have that but my new ones does 

Unplugging your router only gives you a new ip address if you have a dynamic address btw.

I hate to tell you this, but a hacker can get literally anyone's IP address. There's nothing you can do about that. Your IP address is pretty much available to the entire internet if you have ever opened an Internet browser.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Lol ok thanks :) I'm in Belgium so I don't care if finds my address and my ISP has more problems if he DDOSes me than I.

But I send my ISP an email to change the IP

This would depend on what the link did when your brother clicked on it. In the past, when you hit a "shit link" you would give like a whole IP run-down of your PC and in the worst case you would get a popup, now you can have rootkits/ransomware installed on your PC to send packet date in real-time to a hacker.

I hope you are practising proper business standards because the hacker could really mess up your credibility if he is even the least bit good at being a blackhat. The IP address is not that big of a deal.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

This would depend on what the link did when your brother clicked on it. In the past, when you hit a "shit link" you would give like a whole IP run-down of your PC and in the worst case you would get a popup, now you can have rootkits/ransomware installed on your PC to send packet date in real-time to a hacker.

I hope you are practising proper business standards because the hacker could really mess up your credibility if he is even the least bit good at being a blackhat. The IP address is not that big of a deal.

It was on a phone :)

It was on a phone :)

Doesn't matter if the hacker is good he could infect the whole network just with one entry to it. The phone is sure to have something on it that you won't see without rooting it but again this is only if the hacker is really good or it could be a script kiddie with a good script, you never know who is on the other end.

Just implement proper business standards to help you, debt is as bad as hell and i believe it is level one.

Doesn't matter if the hacker is good he could infect the whole network just with one entry to it. The phone is sure to have something on it that you won't see without rooting it but again this is only if the hacker is really good or it could be a script kiddie with a good script, you never know who is on the other end.

Just implement proper business standards to help you, debt is as bad as hell and i believe it is level one.

Business network is separated from home network. What do you mean business standards and level one?

Business network is separated from home network. What do you mean business standards and level one?

To name a few business standards....

1. data encryption
  2. proper online security
  3. data backups
  4. using already established payment methods to take some responsibility off you

Seven levels of hell...debt is level one IMO.... :)

With the IP address he could do a lot. Figure out where you live is the least of your worries.. He Could havk into your network, but its doubtful because it takes time, energy and know-how. The most likely thing to happen would be a DOS or DDOS attack which would criple your connection. Worst case scenario is he is able to find an open port and tunnel his way into your network to wreak havoc. If you are hosting a business, I'd hope the appropriate precautions are in place with some sort of IDS/IPS and firewalls or even separate subnets and VLANS being setup to prevent incoming connections.

I would recommend contacting your ISP and have then renew your DHCP lease to get a new IP address. If you have a static IP address it isn't the end of the world, you'll just have to update the DNS settings on the domain name/hosting service that is used. A pain but not the end of the world.

Good luck.

To name a few business standards....

• data encryption
  • proper online security
  • data backups
  • using already established payment methods to take some responsibility off you
Seven levels of hell...debt is level one IMO.... :)

Oh ok :) so it was on my home network which is separated from the business network with a router.

I think it's well protected we use a Ubiquiti USG and for the firewall and antivirus Symantec endpoint protection.

But I'm going to change the IP I also think that it wasn't a true hacker I think it was some idiot who uses Google to find stuff :)

I have offline backups but I don't encrypt the data. And I don't think we can go into debt ;)