FM2+ Motherboards

Hamiac

With Kaveri around the corner (some say further away than AMD says) a host of new motherboards are being released systematically buy manufacturers.

Asus were first:

P_500.jpg

Personally Im not a huge fan of their new 'gold standard' colour scheme - their blue seemed a good all-rounder... but Im sure we will still buy them.

Gigabyte were next:

8712_m.jpg

Gigabyte are the first to release an official 'gaming' motherboard for the APU platform.

And now ASRock:

ASRock-FM2A88X-Extreme6+-A88X-motherboar

I do like the all black colour scheme. really striking with the gold.  ASRock seem to have come a way in quality in the past few years.

Anyway, that is the latest on the FM2+ motherboard front.  I focused only on the A88X chipset boards as they the the higher spec of the two currently available chipsets. With Gigabytes gaming motherboard could we perhaps be seeing a new, higher standard of gaming on APUs?

Links:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A88XMA/

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=10&p=2&v=32

http://wccftech.com/asrock-unveils-a88x-chipset-based-fm2a88x-extreme6-extreme4-motherboards-kaveri-apus/

I have high hopes for Kaveri. Something like richland cpu performance and HD7770 + gpu performance for under 200$ would be fantastic for low end gaming builds. It that happens, amd will blow nvidia away and got a chunk of intel market too. And it would be awesome for consumers.

Maybe we are getting close on PS4 gpu performance with desktop APUS. Given that 7870 performance that is rumored to be in ps4 can get on destop APU, whole low - mid range market for gpus would go down in price or just APUs would dominate this market. 

I'm actually quite impressed with the asrock!

Also I didn't know that PCIe 3.0 was natively supported on FM2+. Shame they haven't done that for the AM chipset yet...

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

That AsRock motherboard looks spectacular. The option to cross-fire and use a sound card is great. The Gigabyte one will look good with the right build and lighting. The Asus one...not so much. I really don't like the gold-coloured plastic.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I do find it hard to believe that we will have to wait another 4 months before CPU's arrive. I expect them to be released before Christmas to consumers. 

Can't wait to see what Kaveri brings to the table. I would love to a performance boost on the CPU and iGPU and make it more efficient for gaming, encoding and etc. Also, WOW all of those FM2+ motherboards just look so sexy! Must... TOUCH!!!!

I do find it hard to believe that we will have to wait another 4 months before CPU's arrive. I expect them to be released before Christmas to consumers.

I did hear from their press conference at Computex that they said Kaveri was some time this year. I may be wrong though

I'm really curious as to why Kaveri was delayed, they showed working samples at CES, that's over 7 months ago.
My theory is that they want to wait for more applications to incorporate HSA before they release the product to ensure good reviews for Kaveri.

I have high hopes for Kaveri. Something like richland cpu performance and HD7770 + gpu performance for under 200$ would be fantastic for low end gaming builds. It that happens, amd will blow nvidia away and got a chunk of intel market too. And it would be awesome for consumers.

Maybe we are getting close on PS4 gpu performance with desktop APUS. Given that 7870 performance that is rumored to be in ps4 can get on destop APU, whole low - mid range market for gpus would go down in price or just APUs would dominate this market.

That would be amazing if that were true actually xD Although I would still wan't more CPU performance from the APUs even if the 6800k wasn't too bad.

And where did the rumors of PS4 having 7870 performance come from? O_o

Can't wait to see what Kaveri brings to the table. I would love to a performance boost on the CPU and iGPU and make it more efficient for gaming, encoding and etc. Also, WOW all of those FM2+ motherboards just look so sexy! Must... TOUCH!!!!

Yep, no need for a budget system to look like a budget system now. Of course, I can't imagine the G1 Sniper to be under 160 dollars, but the AsRock Extreme4 (mATX board) looks very similar to the Extreme6 pictured above.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

That would be amazing if that were true actually xD Although I would still wan't more CPU performance from the APUs even if the 6800k wasn't too bad.

We know the PS4 has a 7870 with one CU unit disabled but it will most likely be clocked lower & so performance will be closer to that of the 7850.

We know the PS4 has a 7870 with one CU unit disabled but it will most likely be clocked lower & so performance will be closer to that of the 7850.

That sounds like a good thing for PS4 and PC users alike then. Shame Tales of Xillia 2 won't be on PS4 since some of the graphics lagg the heck out of the PS3. But then again, I won't have to buy a PS4 for it since it's coming on PS3 =)

The Gigabyte board looks beast to bad it doesn't have the hybrid heat sink cooler on it like the G.1 Sniper for Intel's LGA1150 socket. :|

It would be pretty sweet if Gigabyte did that. Also the other boards are pretty nice looking especially the ASRock board.

Back from the dead....

ASRock boards are pretty nice now, but the PCB is actually a darkish brown in person and not black. My MOBO looked the same in the picture, but when I got it I saw that it's really not black, but it still looks pretty good, and alot better than the gaudy gold & green IMO.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Wait I just thought of something, if Gigabyte is bringing the G1.Sniper class of MoBos to FM2+, Kaveri might just be a high performance APU. May not be able to keep up with the likes of the 8350 or 4670k but who knows? All those boards look kind of mid-high end

Wait I just thought of something, if Gigabyte is bringing the G1.Sniper class of MoBos to FM2+, Kaveri might just be a high performance APU. May not be able to keep up with the likes of the 8350 or 4670k but who knows? All those boards look kind of mid-high end

Yeah, there wouldn't be any point marketing a 180+ dollar motherboard to 80 dollar CPUs

It would make sense as well seeing as they just killed off the am3/amd3+ platform.

Only rumors tho. 1.8 teraflop... same as 7870. ofcourse that doesnt mean so much. but idk.