BSOD and corrupted files issue

simsas18
Hi guys, I am looking for help with my computer which BSODs and corrupts files.

My specs:

• Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
  • Gigabyte GA 946 S3
  • 2x2GB DDR2 667 (2 different sticks)
  • Nvidia Geforce GT 240
  • Seagate 1TB HDD (~3 year old)
  • Windows 10 64 bit
It started when I couldn't launch Thunderbird, error said that some files are missing/they are corrupted. I tried restarting PC, Windows booted but whole screen was black, there was no desktop, start menu, only cursor.

Then I tried to to System restore but it didn't work because all restore points had some corrupted files. Reset didn't work either. I had to reinstall Windows.

First reinstall failed due to some error. Second suceeded.

I started to install some of the most important programs when I got a Memory Management BSOD. This BSOD should be related to RAM but I am not sure because I have changed RAM about 1 or 2 months ago (memtest86 found some errors).

I tried using memtest86 again but after 3 passes for each stick, no errors were found.

After testing RAM, I tried booting Windows again but now BIOS said Disk Read Error occurred. After a few restarts, windows booted, I continued installing software. Finally, I rebooted the computer and now I can't get into Windows. I get Bad System Config Info BSOD.

Both now and a few months ago, Event Viewer showed quite a lot of NTFS event errors, also Windows tried fixing the disk a few times.

Furthermore, I have checked HDD with SeaTools, both Long and Short tests but no errors were detected.

I really hope someone can help me troubleshoot and fix my computer.

Thanks

Those are all signs of a failing HDD, especially the missing and corrupt files symptoms. If SMART isn't detecting an error it could be as simple as the SATA cable being bad which can happen; kinks and just general age tends to do them in, so a simple cable swap would be a good idea to rule it out first. If the cable solves nothing then it's likely the drive is on the way out in such a way that the SMART detection just can't see. Either that or your motherboard has a sick SATA controller.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Thanks for quick reply, I will try changing SATA cable. How should I troubleshoot further to check if it is HDD or MoBo? Maybe run some tests or something else?

EDIT: Here is my HDD SMART info: http://imgur.com/wStWmWQ

EDIT2: I swapped HDD power and SATA cables and MoBo Sata port and I tried using only one 2GB stick of RAM.

I attempted reinstalling W10 but during installation process, I get another BSOD, now System Thread Exception Not Handled. After that, the system reboots and loops back into installation.

Maybe this can give some clue to what is happening with my PC?
EDIT3: After 2-3 tries installation suceeded