Puting OS on D drive

So I want to put my windows 10 onto my new SSD but I want my SSD to be drive D. If I only plug in my SSD and install Win10 on it wont it be on my C drive?

pretty sure that "C" means the drive the os is installed on, for historic reasons.

Go to disk manager, name ur boot drive ssd D:, done 

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

I just don't wont it to be on my C drive. Just used D as an example.

Go to disk manager, name ur boot drive ssd D:, done 

that'll break every piece of software on the drive that isnt portable.

(probably including windows)

pretty sure that "C" means the drive the os is installed on, for historic reasons.

I think it has to be labeled as C: for Microsoft reasons.

I have had my OS get installed on D: quite a few times. Mostly in the XP era, and I have no clue how it happened. It didn't break anything though.

"Rawr XD"

I have had my OS get installed on D: quite a few times. Mostly in the XP era, and I have no clue how it happened. It didn't break anything though.

Hmm... In all of the times I've installed Windows 10 I haven't seen the option to label partitions differently though, at least not in the Windows installer itself.

if you can label the drive as "D" before installing (or change all C: references to D: references afterwards, GL on that one) you should be fine.

Hmm... In all of the times I've installed Windows 10 I haven't seen the option to label partitions differently though, at least not in the Windows installer itself.

I think how it happened is that the drive already has a partition on it that's C and when I make a second partition using unallocated space in the installer, it becomes D, and Windows installs itself to that partition. Not sure if this works in anything newer than XP though.

"Rawr XD"

I think how it happened is that the drive already has a partition on it that's C and when I make a second partition using unallocated space in the installer, it becomes D, and Windows installs itself to that partition. Not sure if this works in anything newer than XP though.

I don't think so, normally Windows 10 requires you to install it on one partition. Maybe you can change that with some partitioning magic in the installer.