GTX 970 3.5gb vram stuttering

TXshooter

Does the stutter affect 1080p triple-a title gaming at high settings?

And what is the problem?

above 3.5 usage you get in trouble. stick to 1080p 

Really isn't that bad, I've ran some games at 4k on a single card. Should be fine for all games at 1440P, just try and avoid that 3.5gb + usage as said

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

AAA will run at 1440P, albeit not 60+ FPS

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Does the stutter affect 1080p triple-a title gaming at high settings?

it seems to be ok now..

i use over 3.5gb and games still run smooth without stutter

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

What is the problem, and how does it affect gaming?

The GTX 970 has 3.5GB of GDDR5 VRAM. but also has 500mb of slower vram. so any games that use more than 3.5GB of VRAM will slow down.

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

If you own a game that uses above 3.5gb of vram on super high settings then you may experience major frame rate drops and stutters.

Basically treat the card like it has 3.5gb instead of 4gb and it will perform stupendously.

The fix:

Hard way: adjust your in game settings to keep vram usage below 3.5gb.

Easy way: Use geforce experience to automatically optimize most newer games for you.

Will it affect new games like fallout 4 at high to ultra settings at 1080p? And what kind of fps am I looking at?

I dont really understand the question here :P But yes you can go above the "3.5GB" limit, It's happened to me and It hasnt affected performance much.

I am just asking how the vram affects gaming.

Its like the iphone 6 bending scenario, it happened to a few and all of a sudden everyones an expert and it becomes a widespread phenomena :D

Ryzen Ram Guide

Will it affect new games like fallout 4 at high to ultra settings at 1080p? And what kind of fps am I looking at?

​It will not cause issues with fallout 4, with my 970 at very high settings i was seeing 50+ FPS depending on the area.

I have yet to experience this "stuttering" lots of people complained about, and I've run my card into the ground to try and recreate it at 1080p. It's a seriously overblown issue.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I run Fallout 4 at 1440 and Ultra settings with 35 active mods. Rarely do I go over 3g. Never have I experienced a problem with only having 4g of VRAM. All this 3.5g talk is fan bull shit. Don't listen to it

So I could run almost any new game on a 1080p moniter at high settings and get high fps?

I run Fallout 4 at 1440 and Ultra settings with 35 active mods. Rarely do I go over 3g. Never have I experienced a problem with only having 4g of VRAM. All this 3.5g talk is fan bull shit. Don't listen to it.

So I could run almost any new game on a 1080p moniter at high settings and get high fps?

Yes, the only issue you'll face is poorly optimized games, not a hardware limitation. And VRAM won't save you from poor programming. And make sure you have a CPU to back it up, Fallout 4 for instance runs substantially better on a i7 than a i5.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I run Fallout 4 at 1440 and Ultra settings with 35 active mods. Rarely do I go over 3g. Never have I experienced a problem with only having 4g of VRAM. All this 3.5g talk is fan bull shit. Don't listen to it

Yup without a doubt. However if you haven't bought it yet, you should grab a 390 as its slightly better.

Try not to believe all the fan bullshit, I asked on these forums what sort of performance I could expect from 2x 970s in SLI @4k and was basically laughed off the thread ..... ive ran everygame including Witcher 3 at 4k @ ultra settings, admittedly it isn't high FPS but its 30 +

Ryzen Ram Guide

Yes, the only issue you'll face is poorly optimized games, not a hardware limitation. And VRAM won't save you from poor programming. And make sure you have a CPU to back it up, Fallout 4 for instance runs substantially better on a i7 than a i5.

Thanks man!!!

Yup without a doubt. However if you haven't bought it yet, you should grab a 390 as its slightly better.

Try not to believe all the fan bullshit, I asked on these forums what sort of performance I could expect from 2x 970s in SLI @4k and was basically laughed off the thread ..... ive ran everygame including Witcher 3 at 4k @ ultra settings, admittedly it isn't high FPS but its 30 +

The 390 is a great card, but it falls on its face in Gameworks games. So it comes down to the games you play.

The 390 is a great card, but it falls on its face in Gameworks games. So it comes down to the games you play.

Well I've also got an eye on the "early DX12" info, although I'm not convinced that Maxwell performs that badly

Ryzen Ram Guide

Just like the system memory (Ram) keeps the CPU fed with data, the video memory (Vram) keeps the GPU fed with data. If you go above the ammount of Vram on the card, the card will have to start pulling data from the system memory or even the HDD/SSD which will decrease the performance. With the 970 you have 3.5GB of Vram running at 7Gb/ps and 0.5GB running at 500Mb/ps (I think). You should not see such a decrease In performance unless you surpass 4GB of Vram.

Well I've also got an eye on the "early DX12" info, although I'm not convinced that Maxwell performs that badly

I've been around too long to fall for that lol. Every time there's a change in DX or any similar change everyone gets caught up in it and thinks things will change, they never change. Not in a tangible way. By the time the first major DX12 titles launch you'll see. The big change will come when 1440 is the new standard. But by then Nvidias new cards will be out.