Windows Defender

Benbroph

So I just had Norton but hated it so I deleted it, and I'm now using windows defender. On Norton I knew how to trust something, like an Ethernet cable so I can get Internet but I don't know how to in Windows Defender so I don't have any internet. Anyone know how to do this?

Moved to OSes and Software.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

?

I moved the thread to another location.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So I just had Norton but hated it so I deleted it, and I'm now using windows defender. On Norton I knew how to trust something, like an Ethernet cable so I can get Internet but I don't know how to in Windows Defender so I don't have any internet. Anyone know how to do this?

Windows Defender is a basic anti-virus/anti-malware software for Windows. It's goal is to provide something to users, and not be empty handed especially if they use a paying software with their trial ended, and not renew/get their subscription, or use a free solution. While some users here, like myself, "recommends it", it is all consider safe web browsing practices, know what we download exactly, and execute, and even then, install and manually do a scan with an alternative security software every now and then just to be sure. But it is not something that I, nor Microsoft themselves recommends to use normally for everyone.

So, Windows Defender is really basic. It doesn't have potentially unwanted program checks, it won't flag unpopular software, it won't give you check on what is a trusted network connection or not, and all that. It just scans periodically for malware and viruses. It is a dead simple software, with the goal to be thin, light (doesn't affect system performance, even on very week hardware, so definitely not powered by strong algorithms used to detect things), and non-intrusive.

So if you have no network connection now, it isn't because of Windows Defender. Something is wrong with the system. Either Norton still has left things on your system, or it screwed up with your system, or the cable or the router you use is broken, or simply you have a driver issue with your Ethernet/wireless card, and just needs to be re-installed.