Help with a budget build

Go to solution Solved by GalacticRuler,

I need an LGA 1150 socket CPU, and I would like it to be an unlocked K processor. The G3258 is really appealing for only 70 dollars. How will that perform with gaming if I pair with with a GPU like an R9 380 or GTX 950/760?

Ceratin games will run poorly or won't run at all on the Pentium. Here are a few:

• GTA V
  • Far Cry 4
  • Witcher 3
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition

I would like to be able to play AAA games on high settings with a playable 40 or 30 ish FPS.

I have originally chosen a Core i5-4690k with an EVGA SSC GTX 950, but now I am wondering about using a Pentium G3258 Anniversary edition with a Zotac reference-style GTX 760.

How much of a performance difference will I see between these two setups? For example, in a Crysis or Far Cry performance test, about how much FPS will I see? The Pentium can be overclocked a lot, but has only 2 cores and no turbo boost. What type of things will this CPU be good at, and what type of things will this CPU be bad at? What performance can I expect from this rig?

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

I would like to be able to play AAA games on high settings with a playable 40 or 30 ish FPS.

I have originally chosen a Core i5-4690k with an EVGA SSC GTX 950, but now I am wondering about using a Pentium G3258 Anniversary edition with a Zotac reference-style GTX 760.

How much of a performance difference will I see between these two setups? For example, in a Crysis or Far Cry performance test, about how much FPS will I see? The Pentium can be overclocked a lot, but has only 2 cores and no turbo boost. What type of things will this CPU be good at, and what type of things will this CPU be bad at? What performance can I expect from this rig?

The GTX 760 and 950 will perform VERY similarly.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

First Steam dies, then PCPartPicker does too...

I don't know your budget, but here's what I recommend:

• Athlon 860K or i5 4460 if possible
  • 8 GB RAM
  • R9 380
  • Seasonic, XFX, EVGA G2/GS/GQ, or Antec HCG

The GTX 760 and 950 will perform VERY similarly.

I heard that that particular GTX 760 I'm looking at runs REALLY hot. I'll be running it in a warm or hot room, so is the extra heat justifiable for the performance?

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

First Steam dies, then PCPartPicker does too...

I don't know your budget, but here's what I recommend:

• Athlon 860K or i5 4460 if possible
  • 8 GB RAM
  • R9 380
  • Seasonic, XFX, EVGA G2/GS/GQ, or Antec HCG
I need an LGA 1150 socket CPU, and I would like it to be an unlocked K processor. The G3258 is really appealing for only 70 dollars. How will that perform with gaming if I pair with with a GPU like an R9 380 or GTX 950/760?

Ceratin games will run poorly or won't run at all on the Pentium. Here are a few:

• GTA V
  • Far Cry 4
  • Witcher 3
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition

I heard that that particular GTX 760 I'm looking at runs REALLY hot. I'll be running it in a warm or hot room, so is the extra heat justifiable for the performance?

No, especially since the cooler running GTX 950 will be able to be oc'd past the 760 while staying cooler.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

if you have the money...

what is your budget????

please get at least an i5 as a 2 core cpu is very weak

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

r9 380 is good, the one i had was pretty good card from MSI kep under 65 at all times and was loud-ish, audible form 20%+ and annoying from 40%. Fans sit around a good 40-60% at max load.

only AAA game that I play is BSI and that toped it out at 50-100fps on my 2560*1080p display. very playable and nice.

if you have the money...

what is your budget????

please get at least an i5 as a 2 core cpu is very weak

My budget is around 400 dollars for CPU and GPU. The thing is, the Pentium's price tag is just too attractive.

My budget is around 400 dollars for CPU and GPU. The thing is, the Pentium's price tag is just too attractive.

I'd go with a Skylake i3, a AsRock motherboard, 8GB's of DDR4 and a GTX 960 / R9 380 with that budget.

BTW, you can OC a Skylake i3.

believe me it will pay off in the end as games get more and more difficult to run:

get an i3 4160 and gtx 750 ti for super cheap

get an i5 4460 and a gtx 950 for cheaper

or

get an i5 4460 and a r9 380 for best

these options can be mixed and matched but know... It is much less expensive to upgrade a gpu than cpu

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

I'd go with a Skylake i3, a AsRock motherboard, 8GB's of DDR4 and a GTX 960 / R9 380 with that budget.

BTW, you can OC a Skylake i3.

I need an LGA 1150 socket CPU, so is an i3 5/4th gen processor good?

I need an LGA 1150 socket CPU, so is an i3 5/4th gen processor good?

Why do you insist on LGA 1150?

Why do you insist on LGA 1150?

I'm upgrading my system lol and I don't want to get a new mobo.