Estella - Legen- wait for it- dary! Ultradark build

Wolf_Lbh

I didn't attack anyone. I simply educated you after you said I had not done proper research and criticized me (which by the way is awfully confrontational in case you were not intelligent enough to work that out).

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/where-to-buy-g-sync-monitors-and-modules

Here´s a list of the official nVidia page with their line up of G-Sync monitors and yours isn´t on that list. So enjoy the monitor you´ve bought but you won´t have G-Sync whether you like that or not.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/where-to-buy-g-sync-monitors-and-modules

Here´s a list of the official nVidia page with their line up of G-Sync monitors and yours isn´t on that list. So enjoy the monitor you´ve bought but you won´t have G-Sync whether you like that or not.

Check the reviews:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe

image.png

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0?keywords=Asus%20VG248QE&qid=1452459070&ref_=sr_1_1&s=pc&sr=1-1

image.png

I did about 10-15 hours of research before ordering this monitor and found numerous top rated reviews stating it offers g-sync before ordering it. So before you criticize my lack of research maybe you should do a little yourself? (You are coming across as very ignorant when you tell people what they have and have not done with 0 information about them).

Hope you enjoyed your education!

Check the reviews:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0?keywords=Asus%20VG248QE&qid=1452459070&ref_=sr_1_1&s=pc&sr=1-1

I did about 10-15 hours of research before ordering this monitor and found numerous top rated reviews stating it offers g-sync before ordering it. So before you criticize my lack of research maybe you should do a little yourself? (You are coming across as very ignorant when you tell people what they have and have not done with 0 information about them).

Hope you enjoyed your education!

Dude seriously? If you wanted G-Sync you´d have to buy the module separatly and install it, it is G-Sync capable NOT G-Sync ready . Kind of hard for you to accept facts right? You´d have to spend another 100 USD to make this happen. For nVidia G-Sync is a HARDWARE required.

But if you believe that or not I don´t care. You´ve already shown how capable you are in building rigs with the wrong CPU you´ve bought in the beginning. All I tried to do is help you, but if you think you´re so smart enjoy a monitor that´s a good one but it won´t have G-Sync unless you equip it with it, the monitor came out before G-Sync itself, back to the future? For me this is concluded because you are learning resistent.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/diy

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/upgrade-walkthrough/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2753759/asus-vg248qe-gsync.html

Hope that helps... and if not, then not.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

All I tried to do is help you

You should do proper research of the parts you buy or want to buy...

Ah yes, being blatantly insulting is "super helpful". Thank you sooo much for that. It must be super hard "being helpful" through all that autism.

I did a ton of research and I didn't understand one small thing which simply requires me ordering another component to fix. So it can be easily made to have g-sync with a small modification. That is hardly the end of the world. As far as mistakes go I would call that a very minor one to have made.

And omg yes I did order the wrong cpu! I mean how could I have possibly confused an i7 6700 with an i7 6700k when they cost exactly the same price (give or take $20)! I mean that is unheard of! That is the kind of mistake someone makes on their first build... wait a minute... this is my first build! And I have done literally weeks of research and made a grand total of... 2 mistakes! Both of which are very simple to fix. Tell me, how many mistakes have you made mr high and mighty? Did your first build go flawlessly and you instantly knew everything about every component as you researched and purchased for the first time?

Long story short, I did a metric fuck ton of research about every part in this build and went from knowing absolutely nothing to being halfway decently informed about *everything* I needed to know to build a decent pc. So before you just decide things about another person maybe you should find out a thing or two about them? And maybe before you call someone "confrontational" for reacting negatively to you being a complete sack of dicks to them... maybe you should stop acting like a sack of dicks?

Ah yes, being blatantly insulting is "super helpful". Thank you sooo much for that. It must be super hard "being helpful" through all that autism.

I did a ton of research and I didn't understand one small thing which simply requires me ordering another component to fix. So it can be easily made to have g-sync with a small modification. That is hardly the end of the world. As far as mistakes go I would call that a very minor one to have made.

And omg yes I did order the wrong cpu! I mean how could I have possibly confused an i7 6700 with an i7 6700k when they cost exactly the same price (give or take $20)! I mean that is unheard of! That is the kind of mistake someone makes on their first build... wait a minute... this is my first build! And I have done literally weeks of research and made a grand total of... 2 mistakes! Both of which are very simple to fix. Tell me, how many mistakes have you made mr high and mighty? Did your first build go flawlessly and you instantly knew everything about every component as you researched and purchased for the first time?

Long story short, I did a metric fuck ton of research about every part in this build and went from knowing absolutely nothing to being halfway decently informed about *everything* I needed to know to build a decent pc. So before you just decide things about another person maybe you should find out a thing or two about them? And maybe before you call someone "confrontational" for reacting negatively to you being a complete sack of dicks to them... maybe you should stop acting like a sack of dicks?

As for the 'little upgrade' it costs more than 100USD, you lose warranty on your monitor and is of I write this discontinued... so much for adding it later huh? You are the one that repeatedly claimed the monitor has G-Sync not me. That won´t your wall of text change either ;).

http://www.digitalstorm.com/nvidia-g-sync.asp

As for the 'little upgrade' it costs more than 100USD, you lose warranty on your monitor and is of I write this is discontinued... so much for adding it later huh? You are the one that repeatedly claimed the monitor has G-Sync not me. That won´t your wall of text change either ;).

http://www.digitalstorm.com/nvidia-g-sync.asp

I see, so your version of "being helpful" is to link me to a video showing how to install an upgrade that has been discontinued? And I repeatedly claimed the monitor had g-sync because I was repeatedly told (in my extensive research) that it did! Hell it says it on the box! "G-sync ready" means "it is ready to do g-sync" not "it can totally do g-sync if you take the entire monitor apart and install a $100 component (sold separately) and then put the entire thing back together again without breaking anything suckaaaaa".

In any reasonable sense of the word this monitor is lying and should be sued for false advertising for calling itself "g-sync ready" especially as the component to make it "ready" is no longer available.

So yes I was deceived by criminal wordplay. And previously was deceived by an incredibly dumb cpu naming scheme (once again i7 6700 vs i7 6700k at $410 vs $430) But I'm willing to bet your first build had more than 2 minor problems.

Besides being totally 100% honest 1080p at 144hz probably won't have any issues without g-sync and it would be a wasted upgrade.

I also noticed you appear to be learning resistant yourself and have not taken my advice on no longer acting like a sack of dicks and still somehow viewing other people as "confrontational" when they respond negatively to it. Way to go Jimmy. Have a lollipop.

I see, so your version of "being helpful" is to link me to a video showing how to install an upgrade that has been discontinued? And I repeatedly claimed the monitor had g-sync because I was repeatedly told (in my extensive research) that it did! Hell it says it on the box! "G-sync ready" means "it is ready to do g-sync" not "it can totally do g-sync if you take the entire monitor apart and install a $100 component (sold separately) and then put the entire thing back together again without breaking anything suckaaaaa".

In any reasonable sense of the word this monitor is lying and should be sued for false advertising for calling itself "g-sync ready" especially as the component to make it "ready" is no longer available.

So yes I was deceived by criminal wordplay. And previously was deceived by an incredibly dumb cpu naming scheme (once again i7 6700 vs i7 6700k at $410 vs $430) But I'm willing to bet your first build had more than 2 minor problems.

Besides being totally 100% honest 1080p at 144hz probably won't have any issues without g-sync and it would be a wasted upgrade.

I also noticed you appear to be learning resistant yourself and have not taken my advice on no longer acting like a sack of dicks and still somehow viewing other people as "confrontational" when they respond negatively to it. Way to go Jimmy. Have a lollipop.

Sure Jerry enjoy your 'extended' research while I´ll enjoy G-Sync ;).

EDIT: This discussion is over for me, in fact I´ll have the mods asked to remove our conversation since this is a build log.

Sure Jerry enjoy your 'extended' research while I´ll enjoy G-Sync ;).

Another "helpful" post!

Enjoy a feature you spent an extra several hundred dollars to obtain, that won't make any difference at a resolution that currently makes sense.

It is not listed but you can use g-sync for it according to numerous reviews for it I read. Class dismissed.

In order to use G-Sync on the display, you must have a module for it and install it. This display does not support G-Sync natively.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

In order to use G-Sync on the display, you must have a module for it and install it. This display does not support G-Sync natively.

If you had continued to read before commenting you would have noticed we covered this.

Decided to return my ssd for 2x Corsair Neutron XTs 240gb I'll run in raid 1 configuration
Desk - Origami RDE
Custom_Build_Seventh_Order.png

Also I decided to return my gpu and go with a different 980 ti model. Not going to go into more detail atm because I may be getting a sponsor. So sorry the build will be delayed about 2-3 weeks.

Today I sent a peripheral I have not yet revealed to my decal guy to have it tweaked. I know I said no custom tweaks but it is a small one and I'm ocd about color scheme so #yoloswagrgbbcancer

(eta is the 21st and will take time to paint and dry and then clearcoat and dry and then ship to me)

Week 7:
Cables - usb 3.0 32ft repeater, usb 3.0 4 port hub, and monitor wall mount
Hard Drive - Wd Caviar Black 2tb (second one)
Gpu - Corsair/Msi 980ti Sea Hawk
Custom_Build_Eighth_Order.png

The Second Hard Drive is so I can run both my hard drive and ssd in raid 1 for maximum headache free lifestyle, the mouse was sent off to be modded, and the Corsair 980 ti comes with a 20% overclock out of box and matches my theme a lot better. The rest of the stuff is just cabling/a mounting arm for my monitor.

Lol op is spending money on things he barely knows about. 

You are the worst type of buyer, sorry. 

Care to explain that?

This topic is a trainwreck

That isn't much of an explanation.

Is it a trainwreck because I made two mistakes; one as a result of a product having 2 versions at the same pricepoint with a single letter difference in the naming scheme, and another because Asus falsely advertised a product? In the end both of those issues were resolved when I returned my cpu for the correct one, and because g-sync won't even be a factor at 1080p with a 980 ti on a 20% overclock.

Or because I sent back my initial SSD and gpu because Corsair's SSD had better specs and the Corsair gpu had a 20% overclock out of box (sure you can overclock any 980 ti to 20% but it is possible not every one of them could still run at that load, idk.) and comes with a 3 year warranty so not only will it run that fast, it also will keep running that fast. Maybe I could have just overclocked the Evga 980ti more and obtained the same performance but it was also grey and looked like crap meanwhile this one is black and matches my theme and I don't have to touch anything, and once again... good for 3 years.

Or because I changed my mind and ordered a second hdd and SSD so I could run them in raid 1, maybe you want me to use cloud data backups? Personally I'm not fond of cloud security, and it wouldn't be much savings considering what I would have to pay to back up all my files (also I couldn't boot my computer with an os backed up on the cloud).

The motherboard was a waste of money I'll give you that. They don't really impact performance but hey at least all the bells and whistles make my life easier. Also dat 5 year warranty.

Still, this was my first build. So what if everything didn't go perfectly? I learned a lot. No need to be a jackass about it. "Hurr durr I've made tons of builds and let me tell you, on my 120th build I would *never* make that mistake!" Well how about your first build? I'm pretty sure you screwed some stuff up as well. The reason I made this post as I was ordering stuff was so I could learn and also share what I learned. The fact I made mistakes and learned means this wasn't a wasted of time/effort on my part. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm with the others. A 980ti (especially an extra expensive one like the Seahawk) is utterly wasted @ 1080p. At that resolution your CPU will have to do most of the work and the 980ti will be wasted.

I also think you misunderstand about Gsync too. Gsync is only good at lower refresh rates where frame rates can become choppy. It aids in smoothing out those dips so you don't notice them. But at 1080p? you won't have any dips and using regular old Vsync would mean you wouldn't get any input lag with such a fast card so it's a bit of an oxymoron.

Whilst the 980ti is not fully capable of a decent 4k experience it tends to shine @ 1440p. This is the monitor resolution I would have aimed at with the 980ti.

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

I also think you misunderstand about Gsync too. Gsync is only good at lower refresh rates where frame rates can become choppy. It aids in smoothing out those dips so you don't notice them. But at 1080p? you won't have any dips and using regular old Vsync would mean you wouldn't get any input lag with such a fast card so it's a bit of an oxymoron.

Yup, figured that out.

In the end both of those issues were resolved when I returned my cpu for the correct one, and because g-sync won't even be a factor at 1080p with a 980 ti on a 20% overclock.

Also, I don't have a 4k monitor... yet.

This is the best build log ever, not because of the pc itself, but rather for the Op. Love how he is wrong but still tries to argue with the rest

I argued about Gsync and was wrong but only because Asus made it sound like the monitor had Gsync at a level that qualifies as false advertising and several top voted reviews were also deceived and said it did as well. You can't blame someone new to g-sync for not picking up on that right away. Luckily it happened on a monitor that it won't even make a difference on. Also I was confused about the difference between an i7 6700k and an i7 6700 and the person that said I purchased the wrong product linked me to the incorrect product I had already purchased which makes no sense. Obviously if you are going to correct someone you should link them to the link to the correct product, and also the link they don't already have. Clearly the close naming scheme and the complete lack of logic in giving me the incorrect link I already had would cause some confusion.

I don't see why this brings you so much joy but your life must be pretty depressing because it hasn't even made an impact on mine. Not having g-sync will make 0 difference on my monitor as my fps at 1080p will never be an issue, and I exchanged the cpu for the correct one. Two very minor mistakes that all amounted to nothing. And once again... this is my first ever build. I bet your first build didn't go perfectly either.

I'm just going to leave this quote from our brand-spanking-new Community Standards here:

Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.

Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.

"Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.

Please folks, go easy on each other. Thanks. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Week 8:
Cable Management - 10ft Extension Cable, 100x 8" Zip ties, 12x 40" Cable Sleeves
Keyboard - Corsair k95 w/ Cherry mx Browns
Mouse Mat - Corsair MM600
Tabletop Desk - Fantasycart
Paint - Plasti Dip BLK

Custom_Build_Ninth_Order.png

I purchased some non-conductive paint to cover up the red on the motherboard & SSDs, and the yellow on the gpu. Any one of those could break so that will be fun for you guys to watch and root against me on. Also as I plan to get a large (37" +) 4k monitor I purchased a laptop cart so I can use my keyboard, mouse, and headset a comfortable distance from my 4k display.

All I need now is an os, headset, and chair!

So because this is a "Build" log I'll post my progress on what I've built so far:

The monitor mount:
Monitor_Mount.png

It turned out really nice! Very low profile with no visible cords. At 144hz the monitor is really very crisp and clear (even if they did over price it and falsely represent its features.) I feel I should explain that this is not my gaming monitor but focuses primarily on watching tv shows/movies (or putting up an all white screen so I can use it as a reading light). Also the monitor is centered, for me, as I only get to use about half the bed.

Also while an excellent buy at $15 where as other monitor arm mounts can be in the neighborhood of $140 I feel the one place it cut corners was for some reason the included screws. Both of them stripped and even bent! So I ended up going to the hardware store and spending literally $1 on 6 2" woodscrews that worked perfectly. Considering how this mount functions so well and is so much cheaper than its competitors I don't understand why it would cheap out on $1 worth of screws when it is $135 cheaper than the products it is trying to outsell.
Stripped_Screws.png

Here is the fully extended side view:
Monitor_Mount_Right.png

And the arm mount itself:
Monitor_Mounting_Arm.png

Next up is the FantasyCart laptop tray which I'll be using as a keyboard and mouse cart as well as the Origami RDE desk.

Origami_RDE_Desk_and_Fantasy_Cart_Keyboa

Really loving how neat and clean this is looking. (Note I have not built the computer yet as I am still waiting on the gpu but I'm storing the tower under the desk and as a result I have also done no cable management yet.) (Also while I pre-ordered the Corsair Scimitar black edition it doesn't come out until the 8th so I'm using a Razer Naga Chroma as a stand-in for now.)

The laptop cart is adjustable in just about every way so it can fit chairs at any reasonable height and lets me play a comfortable distance from my 42" hdtv.

The desk is excellent. Very high build quality. Sturdy, assembles in 4 steps, sleek looking, under $100, and has a spacious undershelf. An undershelf is a must for my needs because I have had minor flooding before (always under half an inch) and the shelf not only fits my massive Corsair 750d but also affords it 5.5 inches of airflow/floodproofing on the bottom (counting the height from the feet of the tower) and 3 inches of airflow between the top of the tower and the bottom of the desk. To the right is my UPS which also comfortably stores under the desk. Overall I'm loving the redesign of my gaming environment so far.

Origami_Desk_Undershelf.jpg

My gpu is estimated to arrive around the 25th so expect the build log of the actual tower to occur immediately after.