Will this work?

Go to solution Solved by Wauthar,

Unfortunately, I don't think it will work like you describe here.

What might work, and it resembles what you're trying to do, is to download the patcher/client onto your new OS, launch it, log in and close is when it starts downloading. Then, copy the Star Citizen folder which you've backupped into the Cloud Imperium Games folder that appeared into your Program Files folder.

I'm fairly certain that that method works, as it works the same way when renaming the Test(PTU) folder to Public to skip downloading it all again. If all goes well, the patcher only has to verify the files and download small bits that might be missing.

Good luck!

So i'm thinking of upgrading my PC to a new processor and motherboard and I just installed Star Citizen after waiting almost a week waiting for it to download.

I tested gameplay with my A10-6800k and R9 280 with 8 GB of RAM and see just how it would go. Everything went well, except for the fact that everything was at 25 FPS.

I'll deal with upgrading the parts later, but I do NOT want to go through downloading the game again. So, I was wondering if this would work:

Backup all the game files to an external drive with other games,

Install the new hardware along with a fresh install of Windows,

Install new drivers for the new parts,

And finally, move the game files back onto the computer.

Will this work after the upgrade is done? Or will compatibility issues arise? (Moving the game that was played on an AMD processor to a system with and Intel processor to be exact.)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

Yes, you can do that. Just be sure to put the game files back in the correct place, then use the "verify game cache" button when you right click the game in steam. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will work like you describe here.

What might work, and it resembles what you're trying to do, is to download the patcher/client onto your new OS, launch it, log in and close is when it starts downloading. Then, copy the Star Citizen folder which you've backupped into the Cloud Imperium Games folder that appeared into your Program Files folder.

I'm fairly certain that that method works, as it works the same way when renaming the Test(PTU) folder to Public to skip downloading it all again. If all goes well, the patcher only has to verify the files and download small bits that might be missing.

Good luck!

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Yes, you can do that. Just be sure to put the game files back in the correct place, then use the "verify game cache" button when you right click the game in steam. 

It's no Steam game, we're talking about Star Citizen here.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

So i'm thinking of upgrading my PC to a new processor and motherboard and I just installed Star Citizen after waiting almost a week waiting for it to download.

I tested gameplay with my A10-6800k and R9 280 with 8 GB of RAM and see just how it would go. Everything went well, except for the fact that everything was at 25 FPS.

I'll deal with upgrading the parts later, but I do NOT want to go through downloading the game again. So, I was wondering if this would work:

Backup all the game files to an external drive with other games,

Install the new hardware along with a fresh install of Windows,

Install new drivers for the new parts,

And finally, move the game files back onto the computer.

Will this work after the upgrade is done? Or will compatibility issues arise? (Moving the game that was played on an AMD processor to a system with and Intel processor to be exact.)

I'm not sure it's the hardware.  I'm getting 45 FPS on i7-4790K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 770 1.1.  Though that process will work, I'm not sure it will help with anything.

I'm not sure it's the hardware.  I'm getting 45 FPS on i7-4790K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 770 1.1.  Though that process will work, I'm not sure it will help with anything.

I was thinking about this upgrade for about 6 months now anyway  :D

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD